Happy birthday Nikola Tesla

Nicholas

Don Juan
Reaction score
How much do you know about this great scientist?

It was a coincidence, but last night I was hearing 48 laws of power. Then I heard the guy was mentioning Tesla, my countryman, on a law 'Always take credit'.

It was interesting to hear how he got ripped off for his credit for his enormous contribution to this world.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nicholas said:
How much do you know about this great scientist?
Not what you are looking for, but I know he was a character in the movie "The Prestige," where he invented some magical copying machine that Wolverine used to make copies of himself and then kill in order to do some amazing magic in order to out perform Bruce Wayne and his twin.

Of course, I wondered why Tesla wasted his time on copying hats and people (didn't he see "Pet Cemetery"?) He should have just found an ounce of gold, and then doubled it, doubled it, doubled it, etc....

Of course, maybe he did, and the government confiscated it, and that's what's hidden in Fort Knox.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Telsa was an electrical genius. My understanding is that Tesla invented AC power, but Westinghouse more or less got the credit because he was more of a marketer/businessman than inventor. (Tesla worked for Westinghouse.)

Edison's power system was DC. There was a competition between Edison's DC system and Westinghouse's (Tesla's) AC system. In the end, AC won because it could transmit power longer distances more efficiently. You could boost the voltage via a transformer. This reduces the current needed, and thus results in lower I (current) squared R (resistance) losses.

SerSimon

Reaction score
Well Nikola Tesla was a man created of science. Some of people are even thinking he was not from our planet. He is from Serbia and he newer was understood. He went to America searching for bigger opportunity.

In America he was playing with RC boat on a some quiet lake and a lot of them were like: this is some kind of magic going on now.

The greatest thing about him and greatest invention of all is still not used today. It is transferring electricity around the globe without any cables. Like radio and TV programs. The only problem is that way everyone could use it and don't have to pay a penny for consumption.

The biggest mistake he made was that he was believed people. His inventions were also telephone and lighting bulb, not Edison's...

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
tesla developed much of modern day electromagnetic which includes AC power. Edison really didn't dabble with AC power as he started a small grid of pure DC and made money off that. The advantage of AC is that it can travel long distance and experience little line losses when compared to DC. However, you need to convert to DC for regular household appliances, so you still need the DC component for much of life. Think of them more as a compliment than a competition.

On a side note, I have trouble understanding electro magnetics when presented the facts. to be able to visualize it with no prior work just boggles my mind. He might have been one of the most intelligent people that we know of..