Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Hair question (Yes, I've searched already)

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
don't spike your hair all around, it won't suit you. i have a similar head shape as you, i don't think it'll look good. but, that's just my opinion. i've grown my hair out to around 3-4 inches, then i gel up the front.

i recently got a haircut and they cut my hair way too short. i'm going to have to wait atleast a month for it to look decent again.

my newest style is going to be something like this, which may be similarily what you're looking for (well, it has spiking involved).

http://www.bradpittfan.com/pics/movies/mfi014d.jpg
http://www.bradpittfan.com/pics/movies/mfi038a.jpg

i've done it with the bangs longer, and keeping the top/sides fairly short (just so you can spike it up). i wouldn't recommend spiking the sides, either.

another popular thing is SIDEBURNS. grow them, they've really improved me.

now, there are two ways which i style my hair.

1) i wait until my hair is dry, then i spray some mousse into my hand and run it through my hair. then, i use l'oreal radical styling glue, and run it through my hair and style it (this method doesn't work well if your hair is longer than 3-4 inches). once i've styled it, i'll wait a few then i'll spray hair spray in it to strengthen the hold.

2) you can use a pomade or wax stick.

it's your preference, but i've been continuing to experiment to find better methods for myself. i keep trying new products and new styles. i've figured out that my current style of mainly just gelling up the front is the best bet for me (at a length of about 3-4 inches).

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. My hair recently grew after too close of a cut last month too,

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
have you ever seen my pics, Crazykid... sides the fact there dark I sort of have that style... Anyway to do a spiked look just try out various gels.

Different ones will give you differnt feels and looks, shiny or dull... I have to sleep... if someone else doesn't help you by the time I wake... I'll post it.

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
The brad pit style is what i have... excpept my front bangs hang a little more and I have highlights... Not bright... Very slight just to add texture...

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Capi Crimini
have you ever seen my pics, Crazykid... sides the fact there dark I sort of have that style... Anyway to do a spiked look just try out various gels.

Different ones will give you differnt feels and looks, shiny or dull... I have to sleep... if someone else doesn't help you by the time I wake... I'll post it.
Yeah, I've seen your pics. I'll give a few a try this week since I leave for school on Sunday.

#2 poster now...I have no life. ;)

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
The brad pit style is what i have... excpept my front bangs hang a little more and I have highlights... Not bright... Very slight just to add texture...

I prefer gel over mouse or hairspray.... gels a lot easier to work with... Just make sure it's non-alcholic so it won't flake...

The downside of gel is it will give you a wetter look if you use too much and don't mix it with pomade and waxes god enough....

For wax I recomend the Citre shine for a nice decent one... or If you got bout 25 dollars to spend get crew fiber and crew grroming and then you won't need the mouse. or gel... Just mess with those two...

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
NO! do not use gel. are we talking about the really liquidy gel that is absolute crap and gives you that really shiney look? do not use that! that's typically good for extremely short hair spiking. it has like no hold and is a ***** to style with, if your hair is even over like 2 inches.

if you're interested in that brad pitt style (from fight club), or if you're even interested in that length of hair, then you're going to want to use a GLUE texture, or pomade/wax stick.

great glue texture: l'oreal radical styling glue. there's also Got2B glue's. it's a more thick liquidy glue stuff. it's gooey, and you can style well with it. it also doesn't make your hair shiney and crap. you also have the option of not using a lot, and you can make it look like your hair isn't hard or not even gelled at all. or, you can use a lot and it'll make your hair look hard.

mousse alone won't do anything.. i usually use it to make my hair darker (because i have lighter hair), and i also have found that it somewhat helps with the styling and the hold. i only use hairspray once i'm done the styling and i'm happy with it. i find a lot of the time my hairstyle would kind of die out during the day, or even with winds. if you spray hair spray on after you're done all the styling, it will just preserve the hold.

but hey, buy a few products, and try the different styles. who knows, maybe spikey all-around will look good for you and you'll be happy with it.

-HPNOTIQ-

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
follow tempest's suggestions and add my own..

forget gel...its cheap, makes you have that wet greasy look (which was oldschool 1980's), the alcohol in it will kill your hair, and when it does dry, you're left with that nasty clumpy white stuff...

use a wax or fiber product.

american crew carries a nice fiber product ($14) that gives you great control and lets you mess around with it without the clumpy white stuff, and it makes your hair look thick and dry...its a lil bit more expensive...but well worth it..

nice tip to get those chunky looking spikes is to make sure your hair is dry when you use the product..i start with bumble and bumble sumo/tech wax to push the hair forward in chunks..then, use the fiber in the front with a pulling and twisting motion...

sounds like we have a similar haircut..

i leave the top about an inch past my fingers when i run my fingers through my hair...just enough lenght to look short and get good control

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey CrazyKid, I do the same thing you do with your hair. To the front, and then the front part a bit up. But I have a question to in this topic.

I have hair that is about 5cm. I would like to get it a bit out of bed, but not too much. I tried a ****load of gels and waxes by now. None seem to work. It just seems to make my hair greesy, but it doesn't keep it up ! My hair is not like it but I bet everybody has seen fight club. You have the two head characters, Tyler durden and that other guy. Well, my hair is like the hair from the other guy. And I wouldn't mind having it a bit more like Tyler Durden, only not that extreem and a bit more mature lol. But whatever gel or wax I put in I get it like the other guy.. at best it just looks dirty and as if I pissed on my head :p

Any new good hairproducts out there that I can buy in any supermarket that will keep it up a bit ?

Cheers

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Charisma
Hey CrazyKid, I do the same thing you do with your hair. To the front, and then the front part a bit up. But I have a question to in this topic.

I have hair that is about 5cm. I would like to get it a bit out of bed, but not too much. I tried a ****load of gels and waxes by now. None seem to work. It just seems to make my hair greesy, but it doesn't keep it up ! My hair is not like it but I bet everybody has seen fight club. You have the two head characters, Tyler durden and that other guy. Well, my hair is like the hair from the other guy. And I wouldn't mind having it a bit more like Tyler Durden, only not that extreem and a bit more mature lol. But whatever gel or wax I put in I get it like the other guy.. at best it just looks dirty and as if I pissed on my head :p

Any new good hairproducts out there that I can buy in any supermarket that will keep it up a bit ?

Cheers
I use L'Oreal Paris alt. studio crystal wax (it's a little round canister) for my hair.

To spike it up, I just move my hair back and pull up some. It'll move back forward and give it that spiked style. Maybe you just need to move your hair back some to keep it up. Also, make sure to not just apply the stuff to the top of your hair, or it'll move down from weight. Hope this helps.

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I maxed out at 6 inches. Not spikes, frigging stalagmites (haha). There are people with far longer hair than me of course.

As for how short, I've seen people with hair an inch long and still spikey. It just looks....tame, I have to admit.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you ask the barber for a number 6-8 (not inches, the shaver rating) your hair should be long enough to spike. I usually get a 5 and that's barely long enough to sorta spike my hair. It also lets me get hair cuts less often :p

dip

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yo, you should go to one of the haircutting places in a local mall. Tell the lady to use scissors and you want a trimming so you can spike it up...then tell her to spike it after she finishes cutting your hair. THis way she can teach you how to do it, and she can try different looks so you find the best one. If u really wanna...print out one of the pics that people posted and tell her u want ur hair like that

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i brought in those pictures of brad pitt from fight club, and the lady cut my hair SO SHORT. what a *****. like i mentioned, now i have to wait atleast a month for my hair to be decent. she basically just spiked up my hair really short and was like, "done".

for now on, i'm only getting trimmings, even if i have to go less than once a month. just going to get around the ears cleaned up, around the back/sides, and a bit shorter on the top. i can cut the bangs myself if i have to.

also, be careful with a lot of those small, local hair salon's in the mall that have corny names like "SuperCuts" or basically anywhere that charges under $10. =b

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
are we talking about the really liquidy gel
I'm sorry I was realy tired... I ment liquid gels.... they have different names and stuff.... since you use L`oreal Crazykid... they have one called "Aqua Styling Gel" Its a blue bottle and almost looks like water when it moves.... Whereas a normal gel is very sticky....

If you put in about a dime of this to your hair it helps keep it up without making it shinny like older gels...

If you read my posts you'd realize I was going on two days without sleep and was rushed,... sorry bout the mess up.

NOTE: the reason he NEEDS a gel or pomade with the wax is... a pure was will spike his hair but it won't get the spikey clumping look... he'll look like some mad scientist... If you some like the liquid gel you can also use a styling putty... but those tend to harden more and make your hair stiff... as well as being very "slimy" if not done right...Mouse and regualr gel flakes like a *****... you use that **** after people mess with your hair looks like it's snowing....around your head....thats why guys with really spikey hair never let people touch it...:p... the key is to hit a blance and not use to much of anything....wax you can do as much as you want for the most part...But be moderate on the liquid gel... enough it will give you what you want...to little doesn't look good, to much it will start to get stiff anf take on a different look.

i brought in those pictures of brad pitt from fight club, and the lady cut my hair SO SHORT. what a *****. like i mentioned, now i have to wait atleast a month for my hair to be decent. she basically just spiked up my hair really short and was like, "done".
Something to keep in mind, I haven't been to a saloon or hair cut place for over two years now... and everyone always comments on how nice my hair looks.... ONLY downside to cutting your own hair... It can be a ***** to clean if you don't do it right.... TWO... If your anything like me you'll cut it short in the end... trying to figure out what to do.... If you have time practice on a dog or somehting... or take up a job cutting dogs for a little while... Or you can be like me and just learn by trial and error.

Hints with all products...

dampen your hair slightly first... this will cause it to be looser in the end and easier to work with...damp...NOT...soaking...

Make sure to rub the wax'es in your hand... the heat activates them and makes them easier to work with....

My hair is not like it but I bet everybody has seen fight club. You have the two head characters, Tyler durden and that other guy. Well, my hair is like the hair from the other guy. And I wouldn't mind having it a bit more like Tyler Durden, only not that extreem and a bit more mature lol. But whatever gel or wax I put in I get it like the other guy.. at best it just looks dirty and as if I pissed on my head :p
I don't know who your talking about.... If your hair is naturally oily this could be the problem why the wax is making it super oily.... Then instead of the hair product I would recomend finding a shampoo and conditioner

another popular thing is SIDEBURNS. grow them, they've really improved me.
If you do get sideburns make sure to have a trimmer... I'd recomend keeping them trimmed at a #2

pomade or wax stick.
a pure pomade won't work wit the dry look... like I said above... You'll either just rise your hair and look like a mad scientist or B. look like a mobster from the 30's with all the grease(though your hair would be sticking up)

i only use hairspray once i'm done
Oh GOD no... never touch hairspray... that **** kills... and smells like crap specially aresol....

Keep in mind I've used every one of the hair products above in my life...I used

Hairspray /or gel for about 2 years then switched to just gel for another year... then found pomades waxes and everything else up to date.... then I found bliss....

gives you that really shiney look?
Yeah I know you don't want that... thats why i recomend only using it very frually...

wetter look if you use too much
God I was really tired... I re-read my post... what I should have said was...

"I prefer gels over mouse or hairspray.... gels a lot easier to work with... Just make sure it's non-alcholic so it won't flake...

The downside of gel is it will give you a wetter look if you use too much....Theres a new type of gel called liquid gel that IF(not don't)you mix it with pomades and waxes should give you that look GOOD(not god) enough.

For wax I recomend the Citre shine for a nice decent one...(Lo'real crystal wax isn't my favorite...If you have it you'll also need a clumping wax... which will help clump your hair.) or If you got bout 25 dollars to spend get crew fiber and crew grroming(does the same thing as a clumping wax...looks better.) and then you won't need the mouse. or gel... Just mess with those two.

Now I'll summarize this in my next post.

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
Cutting Yourself...

You'll need a piar of clipers with swicthable blades... I use dog clippers as they were free...(do the exact same thing...just made for dogs)... I have blades up to #5 1/2. That will get you your sides...

For the top cutting... Please go buy some nice hair cutting scissors... Or at least a new pair of scissors... I've cut my hair without nice scissors...Hurts like hell and feels like your just pulling your hair our...

When using clippors do not have wet hair...
make sure to wash and brush your hair before clipping... this will help keep the blades from dulling.

Have someone look at the back for you... otherwise use your sense of touch... and two or three mirrors set up so you can see it...(I bought a nice webcam recently and I use that all the time to check my back... works like a charm...but it cost $100..so thats up to you.)

Types of products....

Cream or Putty: almost like a wax very sticky, not too recomended but it work.

Wax: very greasy... not my favorite... But it will help you with the dry look.

Pomade: almost the same as wax, just not as greasy. (glossy pomades will give you a little shine.Not the wet look just a bit of shine)

Grooming or clumping waxes and pomades: they just make your hair stick together and... well clump...

Hairspray: smells like ****. Works but is messy.

Gel: Give you a wet look.flakes

Mousse: Same as gel for the most part...but it no wet look. flakes.

Liquid gel: can give you the wet look if you were to use a whole bottle:p. but normally it just helps style your hair and move it about,

try them out and see what you think.

End,

Spike_the_cowboy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Everybody loves Spike!

I think that you would actually look better with longer, slightly shaggy hair that hangs down on your forehead, CK... Short hair kinda makes you look like a kid.

Also, (and this is comming from a guy called 'Spike'...) I think it is better to avoid spiked hair. It is really better to have soft, clean hair that women can get their hands in and enjoy.;)

Anyways, its your head... Do what you will with it.:D

Tempest

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i use l'oreal hairspray. smells good, and works. how is it messy?

i'd also like to point out that if a girl or anyone runs their hands through your hair, what difference does it make if it flakes or not? either way, i think your hair would be ruined.

mousse doesn't flake, either. women use mousse. guys with long hair use mousse. tom cruise uses mousse. you can hardly even notice that mousse is in people's hairs, most of the time.

i'm interested in the whole self-cutting hair thingy, though. all the different kinds of 'clippers' and switching blades, etc.. really confuses me. could you post some products?

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, this is going back up. Quick update:

I didn't get a haircut. My hair grew longer, which is good. It still seems shorter though, which isn't as good. I need to clean up tonight (see: cut around the ears/back.)

Now, I have a sideburn trimmer. I use it on my hair to clean it up/clean the sideburns (obviously.) I also have highlights (yes, blonde highlights on my dark hair) and people have said it looks good (and yes, with a straight face.) I want to clean up the back though. About how long is a 4 gaurd going to leave me?

Thanks for the help so far. Yes, I AM a college student, which is why I'm doing it myself. Got to save money. :D

napoleon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I will share my knowlege with you. If you want the fight club look. I've been trying to get that look for almost 2 years and can tell you this. You can use good wax, hairspray,gel(only shorter hair),and products that have written fiber. I use "shaping fibres" by keune and it's wax with fibers and some vitamins...(smells like oranges) .

What you need to do is:
WAX,GEL,FIBER- dry your hair till it is completely or almost dry. Take an amount about quarter(you can always add more,better less) and run it from the tof to front, all over and try to get the roots. Then do little spikes that you think would look good.
HAIRSPRAY- toweldry until moist and do like with wax... but only with water(but not wet-DAMP!) when you're satisfied spray.

And the most important thing is- tell your hairdresser to thin your hair- shese are the scissors for thinning and this is a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!