Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Had 8v8 football game with mates

lordson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I gathered a bunch of mates together for an 8v8 game. It was a full-contact game, no pads

It was pretty good, but much less completions than with a smaller group.

We decided on 3 lineman, and that did the trick becaues for the first few plays my team didn't know how much force to use, and i had alot of pressure in my face which threw me off for the whole game. But they protected me pretty well after that.

Pass plays are very difficult, there seems to be defence everywhere, we had 5 drives each, and there were about 3-4 compelted passes. There was one, where out safety didn't do his job properly and let the reciever way behind him.

The running plays are by far the most effective, if you can fool the defence on who has the ball then thats an extra 2-3 metres, and there were alot of missed tackles, the runner can usually get past 1 guy, for another 3 metres. It hard bringing some of them down, the do a quick fake to one side and sprint in the opposite direction and your arms just can't reach that far. Or they just blow right past you

Plus there was a really tall medium build guy, and i grabbed him, tried to strip the ball, but he dragged me along for about a metre before i could take him down.

It just seems in the NFL, whenever two people meet, they are always stopped and tackled. Why can't we do that?

I threw for 5-0-1 (ATT-COM-INT). scrambled one play for about 10 metres.

2 sacks for the game, both for my team. I devised the bliztes and was pretty proud. First was drop 3 safeties, and the rest blitz. the other was a one cornerback blitz.

I'm pretty good at play calling but basically i suck at quaterback, my position would best be MLB. And i was the coach and captain of my team, everybody was looking at me, what now? what do i do?. The pressure got to me a bit, too much responsibility.

Our blockers always broke down, and out running plays were always shut down pretty quick.

A good tactic, when we're on the defence, and it looked like a pass, i decided just to have 2 lineman, abandon their lineman duty, and drop back to protect the pass. And just have the one guy pushing. You shoulud have seen the faces on the offensive lineman, i dropped back and he was like "wtf??"

scores were 10 - 10

Well, just thought i'd share that

Its good fun. My muscles are so aching, from all the pushing and tackling and sprinting.

Every one of us had some sort of small injury, my shoulder is a bit jarred, jarred hand here, jarred finger there, small cuts

Can't wait till next week. Should be less people, 4v4 or 5v5, get some more damned pass completions

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
he dragged me along for about a metre before i could take him down.

It just seems in the NFL, whenever two people meet, they are always stopped and tackled. Why can't we do that?

NFL players are very good at what they do, thus the giant salaries they command, but I think the tackling is probably different in American football when you have helmets and pads. I only played in high school, but I remember the experience of just lowering my head and mowing people down, using my body as a flying missile. Pads and helmet make that possible, I would have been cracking my skull otherwise.

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was a shutdown cornerback for three years in intramurals in college. I had never played football before doing it, but for some reason I was really good at corner. I always had like four or five interceptions every season. The crazy thing is, I would try to play wide receiver or quarterback, but I couldn't catch a pass or throw a spiral.

We played tackle too, no flags or anything like that. I guess it was good I was good at pass defense because I don't know how the hell to go about tackling anyone either.

If I would have weighed more in high school, I might have been able to play corner. I guess that would have made me the first white cornerback in the history of football :crackup:

lordson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
i'm really bad at cornerback, i just can't cover the recievers, they pretend to go one way and i always bite

plus i keep forgetting to turn around, through the whole play my eyes are fixed on the QB as if i am in zone, but i keep forgetting to turn around and cover my man.

i can throw a perfect spiral with the junior ball, but with the official size its quite hard

i'm thinking of getting some cheap cleats, what do you guys reccommend?

thinking about the adidas F10. their long shaped studs, not the round ones

i'm only ever going to be playing on grass, just like at a park. should i buy the round studs or the moulded, longer studs?

dietzcoi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In college I played intramural football, I played safety.

I remember one play, the opposing team was punting, I dropped back with the other safety to recieve. He was going to recieve, I was just blocking.

He caught the punt and we started down the field. One of the opposing linemen ran straight at me... instead of me blocking him, he blocked me and I flew backwards and knocked down our return man!!

That was my last season of football.. flying backwards through the air into my own man was enough for me!

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whereabouts do you live in Aus lordson? I'm in Vic, and the closest team to me is like 40-50mins away. As much as I would love to play football it's just too far to drive 3-4 times a week. I've been told that I would be a Bob Sanders like safety, i'm only 5'8" and about 205lbs, and just about as fast as him. Don't know how my ball skills would be though (reading + reacting to plays, routes etc). This is one of the only reasons why I would live in the U.S........Maybe in another life.

lordson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
me and my friends are all from inner melbourne

there is a team right next to my house, but being 5'1'', 178cm, and only 65kgs, i wouldn't be able to do much

although with these leagues, their very ameteur and real athletes are few and far between apprantly

they have proper coaches and training and games. the Victorian league, i'm sure you can google it

i think i could be a pretty good speed/agility back.

The Bat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haha, did you really expect to be as good as the NFL players when it came to tackling, passing, running the ball? It would be like me going out with a bat and saying I can hit sixers and fours just as well as some of the famous cricket batsman. There's a reason why these guys are professional, and we are not.

But regardless, sounds like you had fun. See if you can get hold of cheap helmets/pads, and see how that changes the dynamics of your game.

sam3083

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
How bizarre that there are so many aussies talking about this.

We're getting together a few teams of 6 to play against one another. Is 6 going to be alright? Prehaps it should be 5 v 5 after reading this.

The field we plan to use is a soccer pitch, using the whole length, and the soccer goals as the uprights. Also, splitting the field down the middle as side lines (so its not so wide).

Also do you still play 4 downs? We thought this might be to many becasue your bound to make the 10 yards eventually when its only 6v6, so 3 downs might be better.

lordson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
with 8v8, its pretty much a full game, less 2 lines man

you still have pressure in your face, and there is defence all over the field

its incredibly, incredibly difficult to make a pass play, unless a conerback compeltely stuffs it up.

it depends ALOT on the quaterback too

the big ball is very hard to throw if you have smaller hands

we played 4 downs, pretend punting and field goals on the 4th

funny you should mention that, because i'm having a 6v6 game this sunday too

not sure how its going to turn out, but should be better. if you have 2 lineman, youll have 2 WR's, and a RB/TE. so you might not even some pass completions

see how it goes, i think 4 downs is still okay with 6v6. i'll post up how my next game goes

sam3083

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks mate.

Yeah, we were thinking the basic setup would be 2 lineman, QB, 2 WR, and a running back.

I take it you have a big bunch of guys who all play. Our problem is that not everyone will know the intricate rules of the game (or even some basic stuff). Also, how'd u find it being full contact and all? We were thinking the tail things (that you pull off people to indicate a tackle) would be more appropriate because there are going to be some massive mismatches strength and weight wise. Plus no one is really keen to get hurt since its not there main sport, and alot of us play quite a high level of our own sports (hockey for me, lol - but I am a sports nut)

lordson

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
hrm... well i played two versions

one was if you just hug the ball carrier, he will stop. no need to bring him down.

and then we played full contact, stiff arms, running through tacles (no ramming though), and you had to bring them down. i tell ya, it is much more fun playing full contact, but everybody will get a little injury

i jarred my shoulder a bit, 3 days to get over. and because we arn't wearing armour liek NFL, you can't shoulder tackle a guy in the guts, so its has to be arm taclking. YOu have to wrap them up as best you can, and what often happens is that the ball carrier is running full speed at you, you throw your arms out, and hell run right into your arms. Youll bring him down, but will end up with a nasty bruise on the outside of your upper arm.

its more fun though, towards the end, we worked out that torso and upper body tackled dont bring them down too well, and taking out thier legs or hips brings them down better.

thing is, they will come crashing down, and risk of injury is greater.

we're going to experiment this sunday with the contact rules.

and like i said, if you're fending somebody off, you can hurt them a bit with your stiff arm

i think flag is a bit boring, if you're going to do it one way, do it the first way we did it, wrap them up, 2 arms, and they stop. or push them with 2 palms, and they stop.

what i recommend is if you're playing with innexpeirneced people, like me, go get a couple of small whiteboards

i went to Toys R Us and got two, 80% size of A4, $10 each, so you can easily whip up plays and just point to people's assignments

give me your email, i'll send you a play sheet i did, i reckon it'll help you out alot