Guys Who DELETE their OLD posts!!!

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi guys. First off let me say how impressed I am at this web site! I remember Allen Thompson's website back in 1998, and it has come a LONG way since then. Very impressive. I guess I shoulda checked back sooner.

For many years I posted messages in a usenet newsgroup called alt.seduction.fast, but for the past few years the group was overrun by a nutcase poster called "ray gordon" whom we all tried to get rid of with no luck.

In fact, it was everybody's desire to get away from him that prompted the creation of the "fastseduction.com" newsgroup on a private server.

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the group you've all got here. It's very professional and polished.

I also appreciate the fact that you cover a broad range of topics, with a healthy balance of discussions about sex and love and LTR's, instead of focusing exclusively on "scoring".

You guys have a knack for getting fun and interesting threads going. I love the way so many of you chip in to turn someone's post into a successful thread with a long string of complementary ideas.

In fact, there is only ONE thing that I *don't* like about the site, and I'm hoping the admins and moderators will give this some serious thought. I'm talking about: guys who delete their old posts.

I'll give you a real example. A guy named Raingem wrote a whole bunch of posts. Each of them became a thread after a dozen or so other guys invested their time and energy into writing useful, well-thought out replies.

Months later, Raingem apparently decided to delete all his posts. Instantly, all those threads that everyone labored on became useless! You look at them and you can't make heads or tales of anybody's contribution because the original post that everyone is referring to is now missing.

Hey, I think it's great to be able to go back and edit your post if after posting it you catch a typo or something like that. But as soon as others *reply* to the post it should NOT be possible to edit the original post. That just isn't fair to all the people who wrote a reply based on what they read there at the time. IMHO, it violates the integrity of the content.

Honestly, I don't think it should be possible to edit a post the next day--even if there were *no* replies. That is how you encourage people to take their words seriously and take responsibility for what they are posting.

Anyway, that is my one and only serious gripe. Otherwise, you all have a terrific site here.

Come to think of it, there is actually one more thing that concerns me about this site, and maybe someone can help me out on this issue.

The other day I posted a reply to a thread.

Today, I notice that somebody deleted my entire reply from the thread. The thread itself still exists, but all my comments were stripped right out. (It's not some glitch, because my reply showed up fine after I posted it, and I even have a saved copy of the web page.)

I tried to figure out what it was about my reply that would justify someone erasing everything I wrote. I didn't use any profanity. I just said that I agreed with a friend's analysis and I gave some advice. I was a bit chatty, but so is everyone else.

Could it be because I said the site is really cool, but that there is "one small thing about the site that sucks bigtime". Of course, what I meant was the fact that some people were deleting their old posts! I didn't elaborate about the issue there, figuring I'd address it in a separate post. So someone please, let me know...is a minor critical comment like that considered an adaquate reason to completely erase someone's reply from a thread? If it is, then I have to say I find that a bit creepy.

Anyway, nice to meet you all,
DeepBlue

Drew

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Welcome back DeepBlue. I don't know about your thread. From what I gather, it shouldn't have been deleted. Contact me with more details maybe.

Oh and I think I know you from another more private community. Glad to see you here if that's you. ; )

Chicken-Hawk

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with Deepblue 100%. The deleting of various posts is way out of line. I've noticed some very interesting subjects disappear for no apparant reason.

Not liking the content of a post is not sufficient reason to get rid of it, especially if there's nothing derogatory stated in it.

SoSuave.com

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments.

Unfortunately, the software doesn't allow for what you suggest... or I would have implemented it long ago. I can turn off the ability to edit posts (some forums do this) but I think this causes more problems than the ocassional person going back and deleting his old posts.

And I didn't read or remove your post so I don't know anything about it. But Mods usually don't respond to "why was my post deleted" because the reason is usually obvious. But, since you have a copy of it, and if you really can't figure out why it was deleted, post it here and we'll take a look at it.

Moving to Suggestions & Feedback forum.

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, here is what was posted by me, then deleted the following day, from a thread called "underestimating an old DJ".

(The thread I'm referring to was started by BigBill).

I noticed that Inky, a friend of mine, had posted some comments. My comments were partly in response to his comments.

So here is what I wrote. If you view the thread on the site you will see that somebody stripped my comments out. If you'd like, I can even email you the html file showing what the post looked like right after I posted my reply.

Inky!!! Thought I'd check the place out. Not a bad site. Interesting balance of sex, love, & LTR stuff compared to ASF's focus on getting laid only.
Your analysis of BigBill's situation is right on the money, and regrettably this is one reason why there are so many bitter, resentful women out there. It's very likely that from her point of view a guy got her hopes up just so he could callously snub her.

What BigBill should do at this point is fess up to the babe that he mistakenly thought she purposely gave him a wrong number (and later realized he might've made a terrible mistake). That will not only rescue her from simmering in man-hating resentment, but will probably land him in her bed as well.

I posted something about virgins earlier, but I'm not sure I'll have time to post much here Inky, the site is cool and all, but as you know I was about to take some time off from the internet. If someone wants to they can always look through my old ASF posts using google. There is one small thing about this site that sucks big time, but I'll tell you about that in an email.

Take it easy Ink!

DeepBlue

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
PS... I for one would willingly give up the ability to edit my posts in exchange for the secure knowledge that no is going to wake up one morning and on a whim decide to remove all their great posts from the site.

DeepBlue

Rebel Leader

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think it's usually not the great posts that are deleted. I noticed that some people deleted posts that they became embarrassed about later.

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Rebel Leader wrote:
I noticed that some people deleted posts that they became embarrassed about later.

DeepBlue replied:
People are *anonymous* here. They don't have to worry about being embarassed--that is why they can freely discuss things they'd be embarassed to talk about with people they know face to face.

Yes, some people might be embarassed about how something they posted might affect their "rep" as a DJ on this board, but if *that* is the cause of a deletion then their honesty and objectives in being here are both questionable.

And even with that type of deletion, the problem is it makes everyone else's insightful comments about their post useless.

The biggest problem is guys who post hundreds of useful posts and then one day when they decide they have no more use for the DJ forum they go back and strip out every one of their old posts. Raingem did that, Foxmulder did that, and some others as well. Note only are we losing everything they wrote, but all the time others put into creating helpful analyses of their posts is also rendered useless.

On a different note, I am still hoping to better understand the reason why my post was deleted by someone else. I included put a copy of my post above. That is a whole other story--people deleting *other people's* posts.

Thanks for the input.

DeepBlue

SoSuave.com

Administrator
Reaction score
Your post, taken out of context, doesn't seem to make much sense -- appears just to be a message to your friend Inky.

But I went back and reread the whole thread and it shouldn't have been deleted. Maybe the Mod (assuming a Mod actually deleted it) only read your post, since it's an old thread, and thought it was off topic. Don't really know.

In any event, the Mods don't make too many mistakes around here... but ocassionally they will. We're more likely to leave posts on the board, that should be deleted, than to delete posts that shouldn't be. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Repost your response if you want; it's a good story and could stand a good bump.

And I agree that BigBill should have followed up with #1.

NowArriving

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, don't forget www.archive.org type in sosuave.com

Much of this site is archived there, including back to 1998.

[This message has been edited by NowArriving (edited 02-12-2002).]

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SoSuave.com wrote:

Repost your response if you want; it's a good story and could stand a good bump.

DeepBlue replied:

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I went ahead and reposted it. This time around I left out the chatty comments and the "sucks" remark, since that complaint was better dealt with in a separate message (the one about people deleting their old posts).

Eventually I'll have to tackle my one remaining pet peeve. Yes indeed, after looking through countless posts to "catch up on my reading" of this site, it got verrry tiring to see topic headers focused entirely on the writer's needs rather than considering the reader's desire to know some details about the post.

After clicking on hundreds of topic headers that say no more than, "what to do?" or "help!" you begin to really appreciate the guys who took a moment to come up with an interesting and informative topic line.

For those guys who can't be bothered to do this, I suspect it reflects certain underlying attitudes and/or a lack of imagination that may be hindering their success approaching women, and I'll be addressing that eventually when I get the time.

Thanks again,

DeepBlue

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys who delete their posts are pussies. I wish we could keep them from doing that.

------------------
You either own the game or it owns you!