Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

GUIDE TO CUTTING for real?

pokerstud

Don Juan
Reaction score
I would post it in that thread but it has too many pages and no one will read it.

Is this a typo in the guide when it says:

8. Suggested macro nutrient ratios:

Carbs: 1-1.2g / # body weight
Protein: 2g./ # body weight

Fat : as little as possible, take one tablespoon of flaxseed oil with protein and no carbs before bed.

Is it suppose to be the other way around 2g of carbs and 1-1.2g of protein? It seems like an awful lot of proteins and so little carb for a healthy diet. Or is it meant to be that way?

[S]alvatore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're trying to build muscle, 2g's of protein per lb of bodyweight per day is normal. But if it was for your everyday joe who doesn't train it would be useless.

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That much protein is unhealthy long term only if you don't train. If you seriously lift weights 3 times a week and/or do enough cardio you're better off eating this much protein.

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It'll work, and it's not bad as long as your lifting.

Now whether or not I'd advocate a moderate carb/low fat/high protein, or a high fat/low carb/high protein is another question.

flippinfreak

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[S]alvatore said:
If you're trying to build muscle, 2g's of protein per lb of bodyweight per day is normal. But if it was for your everyday joe who doesn't train it would be useless.
He's looking to CUT not build muscle... this is a continuation of his last thread I believe... plus the guide says cutting, and tells you to build muscle.:whistle:

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think he's saying that 2g of proteins is too much COMPARED to 1g of carbs. And I think he's right. I would say 1.5g for each would be better. Just my opinion, though

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think you should try a calorie deficit with 1.5g/lb of bodyweight in carbs and see REALLY how much muscle you will lose. It'll be more muscle than fat.

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
semag said:
It'll work, and it's not bad as long as your lifting.

Now whether or not I'd advocate a moderate carb/low fat/high protein, or a high fat/low carb/high protein is another question.
Well??? What DO you advocate?

I'm very interested the breakdowns. In a hypothetical 2000 calorie diet, Diesel advocates:

Fat: 30 grams or 270 calories or 14% (30 g of fat
seems to be a constant for him)
Protein: 270.25 grams or 1081 calories or 54%
Carbs: 162.25 grams or 649 calories or 32%

If I'm cutting, I personally would want the carbs to be even lower and to basically take in my one cup of Quaker Oats in the morning for breakfast (around the time I workout) and call it a day for carbs (except for a few green vegies for lunch/dinner): http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/Products/SQO/SQO-OldFashioned.cfm

One cup of Quaker Oats is 54 gms carbs or 216 calories from carbs or 11% carbs for the day. With other vegies, ie. broccoli, maybe I'd bring my carbs up to 300 calories or 15% per day (based on the hypo 2000 calorie diet). That's it for carbs.

The rest protein and good fat. But, the big question is: what is the optimum percentage breakdown for protein and fat???

OR ...... what breakdown do you all recommend while cutting???? Do you agree with Diesel or have other ideas?

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that timing carbs is of great use while cutting, at least if you don't want to sacrifice strength (i.e. muscle).

I've followed Diesel's guide, and yes, in 10 weeks, it will get you down a lot of %. I was at my most cut after 10 weeks of strict Diesel's guide, and aside from watching fat... my diet was pretty haphazard, just not a lot of food. Stuff like, a sandwhich on whole wheat, with one slice of bread cut in half....
I ended up with like 1600 - 1800 calories a day for 4-6 weeks, and it's tough. Energy is down, strength is down, and hunger is waaay up. As long as my portions were small, i could eat what I wanted tho (to an extent).

During this time... I think I went from like 3-4 reps @ 225 on bench to about 4-5 reps @ 185 or something? My weight dropped from 190 - 170 in 10 weeks.

I didn't like the strength loss/muscle loss tho, and I've become more content with holding onto chub for a little longer if my #'s can still stay high.

I ran across IA's TCD (Timed Carb Diet) and have found good results with it, even though it's difficult to implement. I haven't been as strict lately, and that may be why my weight/body fat hasn't been coming off as I hoped, but it WILL work if you do it right... here's the link.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761

Basically, the diet will advocate little to no carbs (i.e. 8 or less) for every meal and 6-8 meals per day. The other nutrient ratios are 40-50% protein with protein @ 1.5 - 2g/lb of bodyweight, and 40+% fat.... and he stresses fat being greater than 40%.

The only time you deviate from this is pre and post workout. Pre-workout you throw down some complex carbos, and post workout you hit your body with about 100g's of fast carbos, and then an hour later you have a 40/40/30 meal (P/C/F).

The reason I think the diet is slow, is because calories are still going to be high. We're talking something like 2500 calories for a 200 lb person, because you'll have 1.5g * 200lbs = 300g*4cals/g = 1200 cals from protein, and 1200 cals from fat.

The diet is slower than diesel's, so I wouldn't advocate it unless someone is content with a little chub, and would rather try to work on their bodyfat levels while keeping hard - earned strength. I think that Diesel's guide is a great sticky up there, because for the majority of people that NEED it, it's applying perfectly to them, because their strength loss won't be massive, because they don't have a big strength base to draw from....

my opinions...

prosemont

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
semag said:
I think that timing carbs is of great use while cutting, at least if you don't want to sacrifice strength (i.e. muscle).

I've followed Diesel's guide, and yes, in 10 weeks, it will get you down a lot of %. I was at my most cut after 10 weeks of strict Diesel's guide, and aside from watching fat... my diet was pretty haphazard, just not a lot of food. Stuff like, a sandwhich on whole wheat, with one slice of bread cut in half....
I ended up with like 1600 - 1800 calories a day for 4-6 weeks, and it's tough. Energy is down, strength is down, and hunger is waaay up. As long as my portions were small, i could eat what I wanted tho (to an extent).

During this time... I think I went from like 3-4 reps @ 225 on bench to about 4-5 reps @ 185 or something? My weight dropped from 190 - 170 in 10 weeks.

I didn't like the strength loss/muscle loss tho, and I've become more content with holding onto chub for a little longer if my #'s can still stay high.

I ran across IA's TCD (Timed Carb Diet) and have found good results with it, even though it's difficult to implement. I haven't been as strict lately, and that may be why my weight/body fat hasn't been coming off as I hoped, but it WILL work if you do it right... here's the link.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761

Basically, the diet will advocate little to no carbs (i.e. 8 or less) for every meal and 6-8 meals per day. The other nutrient ratios are 40-50% protein with protein @ 1.5 - 2g/lb of bodyweight, and 40+% fat.... and he stresses fat being greater than 40%.

The only time you deviate from this is pre and post workout. Pre-workout you throw down some complex carbos, and post workout you hit your body with about 100g's of fast carbos, and then an hour later you have a 40/40/30 meal (P/C/F).

The reason I think the diet is slow, is because calories are still going to be high. We're talking something like 2500 calories for a 200 lb person, because you'll have 1.5g * 200lbs = 300g*4cals/g = 1200 cals from protein, and 1200 cals from fat.

The diet is slower than diesel's, so I wouldn't advocate it unless someone is content with a little chub, and would rather try to work on their bodyfat levels while keeping hard - earned strength. I think that Diesel's guide is a great sticky up there, because for the majority of people that NEED it, it's applying perfectly to them, because their strength loss won't be massive, because they don't have a big strength base to draw from....

my opinions...
Excellent stuff. Sounds like the plan you linked (I haven't looked at it yet) is way way low in carbs for the most part.