Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Great Expectations

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(Warning: May contain spoilers)

I've been watching patches of this movie (mainly the first half). Does anyone know what the film is supposed to be about? All I got was some bum-like kid hanging out with a crazy girl. I thought it was originally that secret garden film until I saw the actual title.

But a few years ago I heard reviews about how great this movie is, etc etc. So what exactly makes this movie so great? I'm sure theres plenty of movies about bums hanging out with crazy chicks, and none of them are so good.

And did Shakespeare write the original book for this movie or something? The version I saw was set in modern times, so unless Shakespeare also invented the time machine, I don't get it?

(Feel free to put in spoilers, I'm not likely to watch the rest of the movie again)

Cheiradawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Didn't see the movie but I read the book.

Pip is an AFC. Then he turns into a DJ.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Charles ****ens wrote great expectations.

Edit : Hahaha....it won't let ny type d!ckens.

Spike_the_Dragon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Great book... Charles D!ckens is the man. Jules Verne also created some very suave characters. Anybody remember the rich guy from "Around the World in Eighty Days" ?... Phileas Fogg I think his name was. Although he was a bit of a hermit when the story first starts, he does some pretty suave stuff later in the book.

By the way, Pip never becomes a DJ... he stays nice and Estella finally comes around after she's been used up (and knocked up) by some other jerk later in life. Hence the phrase, "nice guys finish last." Not best--last. Nice guys usually end up with the jerks leftovers.

Remember Forest Gump!?

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought the guy's name was Finn? I must've watched a different version - it was with Gyneth Paltrow and some unknown actor.

Whats up with the girl? The old woman mentioned how she hates men and trained the little girl to break their hearts or something.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diplomatic_lie
All I got was some bum-like kid hanging out with a crazy girl.
That sounds like Drew Barrymore in "Mad Love". Good movie, but weird.

LuvMyArmyMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chico, CA during school, and Irivine off-school
Re: Re: Great Expectations

Originally posted by diablo
That sounds like Drew Barrymore in "Mad Love". Good movie, but weird.
yeah, that was a weird but good movie.

Charles D1ckens is a confusing author. Honestly, whenever i've read any of his books its so hard to follow and so was that movie Great Expectations. It's good, but you really have to pay attention. Or get the Cliffs Notes for the book.

Spike_the_Dragon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess that we should start a thread on who our favorite classical authors are (been done before... but what the hell). Mine is Jules Verne.

The old woman, (Estella's aunt I believe she was, been too long since I've read it) was left by her husband on their wedding day. From that day on she hated all men, and trained young Estella to seduce and destroy men by using Pip (or finn, I can't remember what his name was now) as a toy. Pip falls in love with Estella and never gets over her, while Estella never really cares about him because she's been trained since childhood to be a heartless b!tch.

By the way, Ethan Hawke is a very well known actor nowadays. Read the book and then watch it again.

Last edited:

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the point was supposed to be that all great expectations lead to great disappointments. a very sad tale, that one was. bitter and empty, yet magical and beautiful imagery, to further the feeling of disappointment and loss i suppose.

diplomatic_lie

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gee, all I got out of it was a guy hanging out with a girl.

Spike_the_Dragon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"He who expects no gratitude shall never be disappointed."

diplomatic_lie, how old are you?:p