Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

good Friday question

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My wife asked me a question today I did not know the answer to

Jesus was cruxified on a Friday. The bible says he rose in 3 days

Then shouldn't easter be on a Monday?

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
backbreaker said:
My wife asked me a question today I did not know the answer to

Jesus was cruxified on a Friday. The bible says he rose in 3 days

Then shouldn't easter be on a Monday?
He rose from the dead on the "third day." So they count Friday as Day 1, Saturday as Day 2, and Sunday as Day 3. So it's more like Day 3 rather in three days.

http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/15-4.htm

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mary Magdelene found the empty tomb on Monday. So I guess in theory it could be possible for Easter to technically be like midnight to sunrise on Monday instead of Sunday. So you might be on to something.

I really hate the name "Good" Friday. "Bad Friday" seems a lot more appropriate, considering Jesus spent the day being tortured and murdered. That sounds like a bad day to me. Calling that good is just sick.

I also hate the eerie fixation that your typical church has on the crucifixion. It's a lot easier to have a creepy Pagan-looking blood cult worshiping a ritual murder than it is to pay attention to what the guy said and actually live that way.

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Mary Magdelene found the empty tomb on Monday. So I guess in theory it could be possible for Easter to technically be like midnight to sunrise on Monday instead of Sunday. So you might be on to something.

I really hate the name "Good" Friday. "Bad Friday" seems a lot more appropriate, considering Jesus spent the day being tortured and murdered. That sounds like a bad day to me. Calling that good is just sick.

I also hate the eerie fixation that your typical church has on the crucifixion. It's a lot easier to have a creepy Pagan-looking blood cult worshiping a ritual murder than it is to pay attention to what the guy said and actually live that way.
Yeah but its good for us. If he didn't make that sacrifice then in the end every one would die a spiritual death.

Chris80pitt

Don Juan
Reaction score
Friday is counting too, so on Sunday it was a 3rd day.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jesus was crucified exactly 1982 years ago yesterday according to most historians /people who study that **** lol. April 3rd 33 ad

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting

so easter is not when he was found it's when he technically rose from the dead. So it could very well be on monday morning

El Suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
He rose on the third day which is Sunday if you count from Friday, like the others said

Bible_Belt said:
Days where counted from sunset to sunset back then, not midnight to midnight.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think the difference must be that I am reading the NIV, which just calls it the first day of the week.

NIV John 20:2
Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, but that does not preclude after midnight on Sunday night, therefore making it Monday. I'm still thinking your theory has merit. People should probably be going to sunrise services on a Monday morning, not Sunday, regardless, because that's when she went to the tomb.

If you don't have one yet, go and buy a Zondervan NIV. The notes on the bottom of each page make it the best bible there is. Even if one is an atheist - you need to study this bible to be good at refuting arguments. I don't go to church, but every time I go with a girl I will bring that bible. As soon as the pastor finally gets to the part of the bible the sermon is about, the footnotes will tell me exactly what he is going to talk about, except it takes 30 seconds to read it instead of the 30 minutes he takes to preach it.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well its my wife's theory lol

U know what's funny. We have a (wrong lol its September 29th) date on the birth of jesus. He has a birthday. Passover has a specific date. But when Jesus rises we got yo breakout the equinox calendar lol how can u die on April 3rd one year and April 25th the next lol

That's like saying my birthday and s the 3rd Tuesday of every year lol

I mean why can't easter have a set date. It would be far more interesting with an exact date

Last edited:

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
I mean why can't easter have a set date. It would be far more interesting with an exact date
Back when the Romans were negotiating with the Church Leaders, they wanted to make everything as smooth as possible. Basically the Romans had a bunch of pagan gods and festivals, then when Christianity started getting popular, they sort of "merged" them together, changing the names and reasons but keeping the activities basically the same.

Christmas was held around the same time as the Winter Solstice festival, and used the same traditions.

Christmas Origins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia

Saturnalia was an ancient Roman festival in honor of the deity Saturn, held on 17 December of the Julian calendar and later expanded with festivities through to 23 December. The holiday was celebrated with a sacrifice at the Temple of Saturn, in the Roman Forum, and a public banquet, followed by private gift-giving, continual partying, and a carnival atmosphere that overturned Roman social norms: gambling was permitted, and masters provided table service for their slaves.[1] The poet Catullus called it "the best of days."[2]
Easter Origins:

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571

Easter is a ‘movable feast’ which is chosen to correspond with the first Sunday following the full moon after the March equinox, and occurs on different dates around the world since western churches use the Gregorian calendar, while eastern churches use the Julian calendar.
One theory that has been put forward is that the Easter story of crucifixion and resurrection is symbolic of rebirth and renewal and retells the cycle of the seasons, the death and return of the sun.
According to some scholars, such as Dr. Tony Nugent, teacher of Theology and Religious Studies at Seattle University, and Presbyterian minister, the Easter story comes from the Sumerian legend of Damuzi (Tammuz) and his wife Inanna (Ishtar), an epic myth called “The Descent of Inanna” found inscribed on cuneiform clay tablets dating back to 2100 BC. When Tammuz dies, Ishtar is grief–stricken and follows him to the underworld. In the underworld, she enters through seven gates, and her worldly attire is removed. "Naked and bowed low" she is judged, killed, and then hung on display. In her absence, the earth loses its fertility, crops cease to grow and animals stop reproducing. Unless something is done, all life on earth will end.

After Inanna has been missing for three days her assistant goes to other gods for help. Finally one of them Enki, creates two creatures who carry the plant of life and water of life down to the Underworld, sprinkling them on Inanna and Damuzi, resurrecting them, and giving them the power to return to the earth as the light of the sun for six months. After the six months are up, Tammuz returns to the underworld of the dead, remaining there for another six months, and Ishtar pursues him, prompting the water god to rescue them both. Thus were the cycles of winter death and spring life.
First Sunday after the first full moon after the equinox has "pagan origins" written all over it.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Finley Flynn said:
So are you saying the resurrection happens on a Monday then?

If so, that would actually make more sense, for don't the 7 Thunders end on Monday? And wouldn't it make sense for the two to coincide?
It's almost impossible to tell. The source material (Bible) was pretty much copyedited by the Church to fit their own schedule. So any scripture references are written well after the fact.

It's certainly likely.

Per the Catholic Church, (the original dudes who set all these dates), no "one piece of evidence" is to be taken literally. You're supposed to take it all as one big lump of religious truth. So even the play by play in the bible is not to be taken literally.

For "Bible Accuracy" surrounding Christ's death, why do the three accounts of His death on good Friday have three different things written above his cross?

I figure it's CELEBRATED on Sunday, everything else is splitting hairs.

Kind of hard to defend ANY argument based on text written 30 years AFTER the fact (at least) when all they had during those thirty years was "oral tradition." AND edited heavily by the Church and not really put together for another few hundred years.

Mythology: Don't look at the finger, look where it's pointing.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hebrews counted the days differently then us

daylight and night was considered two different days.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:

It was very good for those who place their trust in him for the remission of sins.

In Isaiah it says it pleased God to crush his son, because it would result in many formerly doomed people to become sons and daughters.

Jesus said several times that no one had the power to kill him, that he purposely laid down his life to save others. He said, "Greater love has no man than to lay his life down for his friends".

This statement is illustrated practically when in Gethsemane when those who arrived to arrest him were knocked over backwards. Clearly he was illustrating that he could have crushed them like gnats had he chosen to.

People think of an eerie fixation because they don't realize the gravity of sin to a sinless God.

He's in a position where he can't overlook sin and still be called a just and righteous God (because according to his perfect law, all sin is punishable by death), and man is in a position where he can't save himself (who can erase his own past sins? No one.).

So he had to provide his own sacrifice. This is foreshadowed when God ordered Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac. He brought his son to the place of sacrifice and at the last minute Abraham's hand was prevented from striking the blow. But before this, Issac had said, "Father, we brought no animal with us to sacrifice." Abraham answered, "God himself will provide the sacrifice." And this is what he did when he sacrificed his own son. Abraham was a shadow of things to come.

That's the story of the gospel, which when transliterated means "good news". The good news is that God did for us what we can't do for ourselves (live a sinless life). Jesus led that sinless life, and when we trust in him for the remission of our sins (instead of trusting in our "good works"), his righteousness is credited to us through this faith in him.

Mankind's problem with this is that he has a very difficult time answering to a higher moral authority. Each man wants to be his own god, defining right and wrong for himself. Therefore to many the gospel is cast aside as "myth" and "fairy tales".

The true follower of Christ has dwelt on both sides of the fence... as an unbeliever and as a believer. He fully knows both sides. The unbeliever has only seen one side of the fence, and the other side is a complete blank, an utter mystery to him. What is the power that broke down believers' "certainty" that the gospel was a fairy tale?

What has caused died-in-the-wool scoffing intellectuals to come to an understanding of God's ways and acceptance of the gospel message? What caused these people to stop vilifying followers of Christ and instead become one themselves? What power could possibly do this? Human argument? We all know this cannot be.

Hint: God says that "Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God". His way of implanting faith in us is through his scriptures. This is a process that he orchestrates and he does indeed bestow understanding on those who seek him with the intent to know the truth.

But how many men want to seek out God when it means that he himself will be dethroned as the "god" of his life? Sadly, very few. Jesus said that narrow is the way, and few there be who find it.

My pastor today gave a very rousing message, and he mentioned that he has been with unbelievers at death, and also with believers, and that the difference is profound. The believer has peace and a relative or even complete lack of fear. The unbeliever has absolute terror when faced with death. Where does this terror come from? People run around saying, "Death is natural". If this is so, if we just cease to exist just like before we were borne, then from whence comes this absolute terror of death? This terror is ingrained in us because we innately know that there is something terrifying to come after death... judgment for our lives. And God says, "There is none righteous, not even one". For many, atheism goes right out the window on their deathbeds.

Reading scripture, I found, revealed that God actually reasons with us. Faith is not blind; it appeals to sound minds.

Of course every man is free to say "hogwash", but wise is the man who at least investigates the matter. I always recommend to people I speak to that a great book to read is the gospel of John. This gospel portrays Jesus in his deity. Mark portrays him as a servant, Matthew as a king, and Luke as a man. But John stands out as the gospel that shows his divinity.

Forget about the nut jobs you see on TV, prancing around, asking for money, you know, the "name it and claim it" or "blab it and grab it" crowd. These morons are demonstrating a false, emotion-based "christianity".

God appeals to men's capacity reason.

Last edited:

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
hold hold on WTF lol

so if they counted days from sun up to sun down, WTF was night time? lol

So if the sun sets on Sunday and the sun raises on monday, WTF happens when the sun is not out lol

El Suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
hold hold on WTF lol

So if the sun sets on Sunday and the sun raises on monday, WTF happens when the sun is not out lol

Where I live now, the sun sets at 19:23. Tonight, when the sun sets, Monday ends and Tuesday begins. That is how they were counting days in those times. There are still denominations that observe the Sabbath like that. From Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset is considered the seventh day. Hope it clears it up.

El Suave

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
hold hold on WTF lol

LUKE 24
1 Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. 2 And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. 3 And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus.

So Jesus resurrected some time Saturday after sunset and Sunday morning when the women came to the grave.

John 19:42
Because it was the Jewish day of Preparation and since the tomb was nearby, they laid Jesus there.

So Jesus died on the cross on the day of Preparation, Friday(before sunset) before Sabbath. You have Friday as the first day, Saturday as the second day, and Sunday(which starts Saturday after sunset) as the third day. Therefore he resurrected on the third day.