Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Good and Bad Emotions

fastlife

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That was great! Thx for that!
I just dont like to show emotions, I mean the bad ones. If I do it i feel like a woman, I prefer to let things unsaid and become distant.
Was gonna respond to this in @Almax 's thread but felt it warranted its own thread. It's a recurring theme that I've seen on SoSuave--the conflation of emotional repression with emotional strength, and it's been a recurring issue for me up until the past 5 or 6 months. I was raised in an environment where when emotions were 'bad' things got terrible; where my emotions weren't regularly acknowledged--both of my parents were too wrapped up in their own emotional turmoil and it was my job to support and comfort them; where I was told from a very early age that I had to be the man of the house and, it was strongly implied, the emotions of men had no standing.

First, I'll begin with an insight I've made. Self-repression is always rooted in weakness. There, I said it. You suppress the 'bad' emotions--sadness, anger, feeling rejected, anything that feels like it might be a burden to anyone else or might paint ourselves in a less favorable light. These in turn become resentment, bitterness, frustration, and exhaustion--until you have to explode or self-isolate. But what keeps us from accepting these emotions, from experiencing them fully, from allowing others to experience the full range of our personality?

It's simple--because we prioritize other people's emotions over our own or we don't feel confident that we can handle the situations that might result from other people feeling bad around us.

At the worst, this dynamic'll make your a codependent people-pleasing doormat (AFC); at best, this'll make you the closed-off, cold, avoidant dude that girls might sleep with but won't ever stick around with, since they're only experiencing a shell of a person and would rather have a guy who makes them feel terrible than a guy who makes them feel nothing (an AFC's conception of "Alpha"). But ultimately you still feel empty and dissatisfied and--maybe it's time to get a girlfriend since all that casual sex just isn't doing it for you anymore...but wait, last time you did that you became a codependent people-pleasing doormat. No wonder so many of us fall somewhere at either of those extremes.

But what if I told you there were not 'good' or 'bad' emotions? Embrace your emotions. Acknowledge them. Experience the full range of what life has to offer--but take responsibility for your own emotional state. You choose how you feel and how you react to those feelings. I'm not saying to go all Oprah on some girl, or us, or whoever'll listen; but allow yourself to experience those emotions. Your emotions don't need to be validated or even acknowledge; they simply are. (The girl will experience those emotions through you--and love it)

And most of what we perceive as 'bad' emotions are really just a sign that we need to act.

Despair is good; it means you're about to make changes.

Being uncomfortable is good; it means you're trying something new.

Rejection is good; it means you went after what you wanted and'll bring you in a closer relationship with yourself.

Depression, frustration, emotional emptiness, all these are good; these mean that you're aware that you've strayed from your life's purpose.

Love is good; just don't make the mistake of attributing it to any object external to yourself.

Heartbreak is good; it means you'll come out a better person.

However, some emotions are completely unproductive--these are guilt, blame, regret, resentment, bitterness, shame--and all of these are a result of self-repression and a lack of taking action.

Last edited:

Almax

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahahaha im famous now!
Just to clarify, I do that when Im dating. Of course that when Im in a relationship, I usually speak my mind.
But yeah, I feel like a pvssy when I whine like a little b@tch. Im gonna need to work on that.

fastlife

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hahahaha im famous now!
Just to clarify, I do that when Im dating. Of course that when Im in a relationship, I usually speak my mind.
But yeah, I feel like a pvssy when I whine like a little b@tch. Im gonna need to work on that.
Don't whine, act. You can express emotions and feel comfortable with them without ever having to verbalize them.

fastlife

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on this further?
Yeah. On a super simple level:

• Emotion: You feel sad or depressed. Action: You go for a run.
  • Emotion: Hanging out around a certain girl brings negativity into you life. Action: You stop hanging out with her.
  • Emotion: You feel lonely. Action: You text an old friend you haven't talked to in a while.
However, the focus should be on being proactive (What can I do to solve this problem?) vs. reactive (What can I do to distract myself from this problem or suppress it or to get validation?). And part of being proactive is being aware of the emotion in the first place.

Two questions I always try to ask myself are: What can I do to make this fun for me? and If I really loved myself, what would I do right now? Then I do those things. In different contexts, Play vs. Work vs. Health, obviously the focus shifts more towards one of these questions to the other.

As far as Verbalizing vs. Whining: Verbalizing is just putting the emotion in the open. For instance, I told a couple coworkers about how bummed I was that this hottie from out of town I met this weekend ended up not responding to any of my texts (she was a drink or two past my limit from what I take home). But I just mentioned it, made a joke or two, and then let it go. Whining would've been not letting it go and expecting them to provide a solution or validation.

Doc Kas

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah. On a super simple level:

• Emotion: You feel sad or depressed. Action: You go for a run.
  • Emotion: Hanging out around a certain girl brings negativity into you life. Action: You stop hanging out with her.
  • Emotion: You feel lonely. Action: You text an old friend you haven't talked to in a while.
However, the focus should be on being proactive (What can I do to solve this problem?) vs. reactive (What can I do to distract myself from this problem or suppress it or to get validation?). And part of being proactive is being aware of the emotion in the first place.

Two questions I always try to ask myself are: What can I do to make this fun for me? and If I really loved myself, what would I do right now? Then I do those things. In different contexts, Play vs. Work vs. Health, obviously the focus shifts more towards one of these questions to the other.

As far as Verbalizing vs. Whining: Verbalizing is just putting the emotion in the open. For instance, I told a couple coworkers about how bummed I was that this hottie from out of town I met this weekend ended up not responding to any of my texts (she was a drink or two past my limit from what I take home). But I just mentioned it, made a joke or two, and then let it go. Whining would've been not letting it go and expecting them to provide a solution or validation.
Beautiful work!