Going to Failure?

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some guys say not to go failure every time..

What exactly is this "failure" thing..

I usually do a set that MAKES me fail at 6-10 reps..But I always take EVERY set until i cant put that 6th, 7th, or 8th rep up no matter how hard I try. But i push myself to the limit tryingt to get it up.

So why would anyone say you shouldnt go to failure? I believe that the extra push sparks ultimate muscle growth.

DJLiquid

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
Some guys say not to go failure every time..

What exactly is this "failure" thing..

I usually do a set that MAKES me fail at 6-10 reps..But I always take EVERY set until i cant put that 6th, 7th, or 8th rep up no matter how hard I try. But i push myself to the limit tryingt to get it up.

So why would anyone say you shouldnt go to failure? I believe that the extra push sparks ultimate muscle growth.
What you are describing is hard lifting...it is how everyone should lift to get the most benefits....now to working out to failure means that you lift so hard on your last set that you can't do any more sets after that...doesn't matter if you rest 10-20 minutes...your body is exhausted and just can't lift any heavy weights anymore....your muscles feel like they are going to explode...and they even twitch....if you do this on a regular basis you will fatigue your body....not to mention that you risk injury....

-DJLiquid

gym addict

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't suggest going to failure on every single set. Overtime it will put to much stress on the CNS and will lead to overtraining.
Its very simple to explain. Your CNS determines all movement in life. Contracting a muscle is done by the CNS, walking, jump..etc.. By Training to failure what do you think is the thing the causes the muscle to fail? Not the weigth the stress of the CNS. Which makes it so fatigued it can no longer maneuver any movement with good form. Then when you add in assitance reps you then looking to truely over cook the CNS. However, I'm not saying you should never go to failure but do so sparingly.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should cycle your training so not to go to failure all the time. It also depends on whether you are training for size or strength and also important to distinguish between negative and positive failure.

digitalrat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It's always good to go to failure when you're trying to put on size. A good method also to add is drop sets.

Lets say you're doing laterial raises with dumbbells. You do you're regular 35 pound dumbbells for your last heavy set. Then you grab 25 RIGHT after you drop the 35s, you do that to failure. You drop that one and grab the 15 right away, do that until failure.

DankNuggs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't listen to these ****s..Always go to failure, you are trying to break your muscle down, and have your body react to that by making itself stronger as a natural defense mechanism..other than that, your just toning....

dionysius_d

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dank sounds right.. anyway, you will get to failure even doing high reps.

As long as you don't do under 3 reps, it should be ok.

It seems all bulk/strength routine guru's suggest minimal sets and reps, and going to failure for maximum efficiency

forget the 2 hour gym sessions.

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DankNuggs
Don't listen to these ****s..Always go to failure, you are trying to break your muscle down, and have your body react to that by making itself stronger as a natural defense mechanism..other than that, your just toning....
So that's every set is it of every workout? :rolleyes:

Tiggis

Don Juan
Reaction score
MAX OT

Going to failure on every set is a work out theory. It is one of many mixed in are positive failure, negative failure, pyramid sets, super sets, and a host of other theorys on weight lifting and how to gain the most muscle the fastest.

I use a MAX OT workout..

Six basic principles

Principle #1
Do not train for more than an hour, 30-40 minutes being the optimal length.
It is scientifically proven that this shorter duration training maximizes your hormonal spikes. Training any longer is going to increase your secretion of cortisol, a catabolic hormone. Your routines also need to have a "sprint-like" quality to them to maintain maximum intensity. If you train too long you are going to pace yourself, whether that be consciously or subconsciously.

Principle #2
Train only 1 to 2 major muscle groups in a workout.
This is more psychological. You are more apt to pour more into your workouts if you know you are only hitting one or two muscle groups in a given workout.

Principle #3
Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets per muscle group.
I will tell you right now, this is generous. Honestly if you are pouring maximum intensity into your workouts, you probably won't need much more than 3 to 5 heavy sets. The stronger and more experienced you are, the less you will need. Also, with the given rest periods that will be prescribed, this is about all you could accomplish in the recommended time frame.

Principle #4
Do 4 to 6 reps per muscle group.
This is the heart and soul of maximizing your training. Why? For you to get the most muscle growth possible, you want to attack the muscle fibers that have the most growth potential - - your white, fast-twitched muscle fibers. Any other fiber has minimal growth potential in comparison and it is scientifically documented that the way to hit these white fibers is with a heavy weight in a 4 to 6 rep range. Also, any higher rep range is going to draw excess lactate into the muscle, thus fatiguing the muscle.

Remember... overload builds muscle, not fatigue. If you are constantly pulling lactate into the muscle, you will hinder your performance and shortchange your overload. Lastly, the added benefit of the 4 to 6 rep range is the "focus"element. It is a lot easier to put forth 100% mental intensity into a set that lasts 15-20 seconds than a set that would last double that time.

Principle #5
Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets.
Another scientifically proven aspect of performance is that it can take anywhere from 90 seconds to 3 minutes for your Krebb's cycle to recover maximally, depending on the muscle being worked, the amount of weight used, and the exercise being performed. Again, if you do not fully recover between sets you are going to compromise your next set performance. Thus, in turn, would shortchange your overload on your target muscle. Optimal rest-time between sets would be 2 1/2 minutes, so set your stopwatches.

Principle #6
Train each muscle once every 5 to 7 days.
It has been shown time and time again that a muscle can take as long as 5 to 7 days to fully recover from a heavy, high-intensity workout. Get this straight if you don't already know it...WE DO NOT GROW IN THE GYM! Our lifting is just the stimulus for muscle growth. The recovery process is where the muscle responds by growing stronger and bigger, readying itself for future stress. If you do not allow full and complete recovery of your muscles, you will impede your growth and soon venture into the realm of overtraining.

Now that I have laid out the principles for you, you are probably asking yourself what a typical routine would look like. Below is one that I have just finished as I write this. I say finished because I change my routine every 4 weeks just for mental variety and stimulation. This routine is a great template for all of you to start with in your quest for MAXIMUM MUSCLE

Stolen from Bodybuilder.com

This is not the only way to train. Arnold had his way.. Mike Metzner has a way all very different.. Everyone can see results choose what you like listen to your body.. if it works keep doing it.