Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Going from high school to college anxiety

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As my senior year is wrapping up (and I still don't know where I want to go to school), I just feel this overwhelming sense of anxiety and it's effecting me. I'm not sure what I want to do with the rest of my life, although I'm pretty sure it'll be film/writing related. The school I was really banking on going to ended up rejecting me (they have insane standards this year for some reason) and I just got the letter today. Needless to say I'm pretty devastated and I'm probably not going to go out tonight because I'm a nervous wreck. Its already pretty late in the game and I don't think I can still apply to a lot of colleges and just the whole prospect of having to pick a school and leaving pretty much everything I know behind has me pretty dumbfounded.

How did some of the older guys deal with this? I know it sounds *****, but I just felt like I was getting a handle on things and now my reality is about to be shattered come this Fall. I just wish things could stay like this forever.

It would be comforting to hear your guys' responses and thoughts about this. I feel like all of my classmates and friends that I've known since I was a kid are moving on with their lives without me.

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You shouldn't blame yourself if you didn't get accepted, schools are tightening up their standards because of the downfall of the economy, I've heard that the UC and Cal State system is going to deny at least 10 000 enrollments.

Fender

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rejection mate. But please, for the love of God, pick yourself up soon, and get back in there. Don't just give up, and spend the next 4 years of your life lying in at home watching the telly.

I realised (through my own errors) that every 10 minutes spent in preparation and planning is worth a day of work later on (sounds cheesey and self-helpey...but true)

Pick yourself up and apply to a dozen more colleges. Apply to everything. No kidding. An hours worth of work now....four fucking years in college. If you don't put some time and effort in now, then you probably wouldn't survive through college anyways.

And don't worry about it once you finally get in. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) is nervous about it, but most people end up enjoying themselves pretty soon! Granted, it'll be nothing like high school, and I sometimes find myself thinking back on the "good old days," but you'll have a blast. Guaranteed.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you need to, go to a community college and get some of your basic credits out of the way. This can save you money in the long run even, and it can buy you some time to figure out what you really want to do.

Also, if you really want to pursue something film-related, save yourself about 50 grand, and go to some place in your city/town and offer to work for peanuts/free to learn the ropes. Thats how you get your foot in the door. Even if you get a degree in filming, you have to start out working for free. Then you'll find out, that everything they taught you in school doesnt even apply anymore. Just a little tip from someone with experience in the matter.

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
horaholic said:
Also, if you really want to pursue something film-related, save yourself about 50 grand, and go to some place in your city/town and offer to work for peanuts/free to learn the ropes. Thats how you get your foot in the door. Even if you get a degree in filming, you have to start out working for free. Then you'll find out, that everything they taught you in school doesnt even apply anymore. Just a little tip from someone with experience in the matter.

The school I was looking at was Full Sail University down in Flordia. They're apparently pretty good at getting people the big connections in Hollywood.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Full Sail's got some great programs, but it is overrated. I work with two DJ's that were at time wanting to go down there.

I'm sure the school has some great connections, but there are better ways to go about things. Get your foot in the door at places, just like horaholic is saying. Work your ass off and make connections through it.

Full Sail is a Sh!tload of money!

Brighty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mpimpin said:
Full Sail's got some great programs, but it is overrated. I work with two DJ's that were at time wanting to go down there.

I'm sure the school has some great connections, but there are better ways to go about things. Get your foot in the door at places, just like horaholic is saying. Work your ass off and make connections through it.

Full Sail is a Sh!tload of money!

Yeah, but I currently live in Indiana, so its not like I'm right by Hollywood to get my foot in the door at any place.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'll bet money Indiana has News stations, cable companies, and films commercials though. How about the Indianapolis Colts? Do have any idea how much videography goes into a live football game? Its also huge money. I believe camera operators prevailing wage is three to four hundred a day nowadays.

You get your foot in the door, working places like that, and sooner or later they will PAY for your schooling. Then, with the real world knowledge you have acquired, you'll get much better grades in school, which means a much better chance of landing a Hollywood job. Find someone who works in the industry, and ask them questions. And if you have the idea that you are gonna be a filmaker or writer or something, you'd better lose that fantasy. Thats what every camera guy in the world thought they were gonna do. Get your foot in the industry door, then work your way up, and work on whatever creative passions you have on the side, and maybe someday they will work out. What do you want to do with your schooling, anyway?

Im not trying to dissuade you from following your dreams, but I have been there, and know the realism of the whole thing. Film schools are not like Universities. You dont need to jump in there straight out of high school. I noticed, when I went to school, that most of the graduates were mid twenties, to thirty years old. After I started going to school, I learned that there was a 15% graduation rate, and only a few of them ended up working in their field. Find out the graduation rate from your school, and if you can, try to find out what some of those graduates are doing nowadays. Seriously, make an effort, and do your research.

I really suggest finding out and taking as many of your basic required credits out of the way in community college. (english, math, all the bull**** classes.) This will save you a ton of money, AND make your film school all the more easier, as thats one less class a week you need to worry about. Take your time with this. The older you are, the more serious you'll take school.

What kind of grades in high school did you get? I'm guessing in your school, the top of the class might get hooked up, so you better be head of class, or you will screw yourself. I know what you're going through. You think this will be the coolest thing ever, and you'll REALLY bust ass in school, and you are DETERMINED to do this. Anything less is not an option. Am I right? Well, when you actually do it, sometimes that determination fades out a little bit. Seriously, give this some thought. I recommend waiting a few years before going to that school. Live in the real world for a while, and get your foot in the door locally. If you have to start as a janitor at the local news station, do it, cuz people that graduate your school start out that way also. If you dont have the determination to get your foot in the door like this, you wont make it in school anyway.

Good luck, whatever you do.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Full Sail is just a couple of miles from here. I have friends and people I have worked with in the past that have degrees from there....seems like a good school. Had someone approach me from the school a couple of days ago to shoot a music video in my store and with my car, so I might be working with them in the near future.

UCF also has a downtown campus now specifically for "emerging media" I believe they call it. Not sure what that's all about but we seem to be getting our share of the tech schools setting up shop here.

And I don't know what exactly employers look for in the way of degrees in the film industry, but a friend of mine does freelance video production (he does my TV commercials) and I don't think he's ever stepped foot in a classroom. It seems like he does pretty well for himself and every time I talk to him hes just gotten back from or getting ready to leave for somewhere new.

I can definitely think of worse jobs to have.

Duffdog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok... this might sound harsh to a lot of people, but Full Sail is CRAP.

I work in the music/video industry. Nothing anyone who has ever attended that school knows helps them get a job in the industry. Lets just say you attended their music program and did the whole networking thing-- when you graduate, you will be a roadie making 35,000 a year for the rest of your life and hating the unfair world. Or you could attend the video production school and find out that there are NO new jobs in that industry, period.

If you really want to do something creative with your life, buy your way in. That is how all the successful people that you hear about from hollywood do it. Do you actually think that all of the music acts "worked their way up from the hood" or something like that? No-- they went to business school and made a bunch of contacts with people who ALREADY HAD MONEY and bought their way into the music/movie business.

I wish that someone had told me this when I graduated high school. So, this is what you need to do: Go get a business degree, then an MBA, then make a lot of money and BUY some recording label or production house or video company and laugh in the face of all the full sail graduates who come knocking at your door when you tell them "I'm sorry, you don't have any experience, we can't use you". That is real talk about the industry. Hoping to work your way up from a grip to a movie director is just completely bogus and stupid.

matt1001

Don Juan
Reaction score
i live in australia so i dont know if it works the same in the states but i didnt get into the course I wanted so im doing a similar course at a different uni and if i average a credit at the end of the year i can transfer to the uni i want. ring the school you want and ask them about that

WaRpEd

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I was just their not to long ago myself. 4 Years ago, still no where near graduating :rock: .

Don't let it overwhelm you. You have a significant advantage, in that you are tuned into the advice from this place (sosuave), and others like it.

The college world, assuming you're going to the right kind and play it right, is a land bountiful with attractive women. So it can be a good training/proving ground for your "game". Do not get stuck on one female. "There are plenty of fish in the sea", this is a crowded sea, and your about to hit fishing season.

If you are a full time student, DO NOT forget that your life is all about your education right now:kick: (read that again), second only to maybe family or something like that. That diploma should be your main goal right now. Tattoo it backwards on your forehead if you have to.

You do not have to go in knowing what you want to do with your life. Remember you can always change majors, change school, etc. Many schools do not even require you to declare a major for a couple of years. I once met a guy who went into school as a biology major, after a few years he dropped out and become a cop. Who knows where you're going.

It's very easy to f!!! up, watch yourself, do your homework, go to class, don't go to class or work intoxicated (theirs always time later), keep an open mind.

-Warped

One last thing...Ramen noodles can be eaten in various fashions, I would suggest you research recipies. :yes:

GQ_Confidence_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Highschool is a complete joke....you realize that at 25 or 28. I went to a terrible highschool, ended up going to a community college for a few years, then transfering to a 4 year school.

I think with higher self esteem, self confidence (my confidence was about a 2 or 3 in school.....I didnt trust anyone there, that doesnt help) I could have applied to a really good school and gotten in. But a crummy highschool experience really messes up your mind and confidence.

I would focus on social skills, college goes by fast, where ever you go. The girls get hotter, the bodies get tighter. 18-25 is a ridiculous time to meet and socialize with women. It exceeds I think anyones imagination. And not just in class, but if you travel for winter break, spring break, summer...talking to girls at the airport or something. You've always got to be prepared.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Duffdog said:
Ok... this might sound harsh to a lot of people, but Full Sail is CRAP.

I work in the music/video industry. Nothing anyone who has ever attended that school knows helps them get a job in the industry. Lets just say you attended their music program and did the whole networking thing-- when you graduate, you will be a roadie making 35,000 a year for the rest of your life and hating the unfair world. Or you could attend the video production school and find out that there are NO new jobs in that industry, period.

If you really want to do something creative with your life, buy your way in. That is how all the successful people that you hear about from hollywood do it. Do you actually think that all of the music acts "worked their way up from the hood" or something like that? No-- they went to business school and made a bunch of contacts with people who ALREADY HAD MONEY and bought their way into the music/movie business.

I wish that someone had told me this when I graduated high school. So, this is what you need to do: Go get a business degree, then an MBA, then make a lot of money and BUY some recording label or production house or video company and laugh in the face of all the full sail graduates who come knocking at your door when you tell them "I'm sorry, you don't have any experience, we can't use you". That is real talk about the industry. Hoping to work your way up from a grip to a movie director is just completely bogus and stupid.
:up: