Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Going Bald?

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I've been somewhat paranoid about this the past couple of years. I've heard that baldness comes from your mother's side, and my uncle is pretty damn bald. But I've always had really thick hair, so I didn't think much of it.

I also must inform you that I have a tendency to worry about things so much and to build them up in my mind until I'm terrified of them, even if it isn't something legitimate.

Anyways, recently I think I've noticed that my hairline is starting to recede. I didn't think much of it at first, but now that I've put more attention into it, I think I might be going bald. The hair around my hairline is getting thinner (I think?). I've also noticed that it's starting to thin in the crown area (maybe?). Now I can't tell if this is actual baldness or if it's just due to the way my hair lays (my hair lays really flat after showering and not putting anything in it - see photos - so I've always had some kind of "opening" there), but I'm basically absolutely terrified of going bald.

Now I wouldn't really care if I was one of those guys that could pull it off. But I'm not. I have a big nose, and that's bad enough. I need a hairstyle that can offset it. My head is also massive, to the point where I'd look absolutely ridiculous if I shaved it. Also, it's the hideous kind of balding (if it is) where it starts at the front AND the back and works the way towards the center. It's not like it's all thinning out evenly, or my hairline is just receding back.

I'm always complimented on my hair by girls. They always tell me it's my best feature, and I love my hair. I don't know what to do but I'm really starting to lose it. Either I'm making a huge deal out of nothing or I need to just learn to accept it (I have no idea how) and move on, either to Propecia for the rest of my life or to Rogaine or something, I don't know.

I'm also going through a lot of really stupid **** right now, and adding this onto it is just consuming all of my energy. I need to know what you guys think. Am I going bald? If so, what can I do about it? To all the guys that are bald, or have gone bald, how has it affected your life? Am I making too big of a deal out of this?

I'm seriously starting to freak out about it, it's been in the back of my mind nonstop for the past two weeks. I just need someone to knock some sense in me, which is what SS is pretty good at.

Photo 1
Photo 2

Sorry for the sh!tty photos; I had to use my iPhone and a mirror, which is pretty difficult. I'm 23, btw.

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My hair has been thinning since I was in my early teens. Keep it short, or shave it and get over it, there are worse things in life.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My hair has been thinning since I was in my early teens. Keep it short, or shave it and get over it, there are worse things in life.
I can't keep it short. I look like an idiot if I keep it short. My hair looks good moderately long.

How old are you? What does "thinning" mean? What's worse than looking like a hideous middle aged balding loser?

EDIT: Like I said, I have a tendency to basically take something like this and somehow construe that my life will basically end, i.e. that I'm going to look hideous and not be able to get any girls whatsoever. And I know that guys always say on here that looks don't matter - hell I've said it - but it's one thing to say it and another to actually believe it in a situation like this.

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JLay87 said:
I can't keep it short. I look like an idiot if I keep it short. My hair looks good moderately long.

How old are you? What does "thinning" mean? What's worse than looking like a hideous middle aged balding loser?
I am almost 26. What does thinning mean? It means I've been losing my hair since I was about 15.

Going bald isn't a big deal.

"What's worse than looking like a hideous middle aged balding loser?"

Losing an appendage, getting a terminal illness, dying, getting lit on fire, going to jail for life, ect... The list is long.

Going bald isn't a big deal and it doesn't make you a loser.

Now you can either accept it and move on like these two:

John Statham
Sean Connery

Or you can live in denial like this guy: bald guy

edit:
Like I said, I have a tendency to basically take something like this and somehow construe that my life will basically end, i.e. that I'm going to look hideous and not be able to get any girls whatsoever. And I know that guys always say on here that looks don't matter - hell I've said it - but it's one thing to say it and another to actually believe it in a situation like this.
Then that is a personality trait you should consider working on. Trust me on this, it's not the end of the world, and even if were so what? It's not something you can really control, so don't worry about it.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"What's worse than looking like a hideous middle aged balding loser?"

Losing an appendage, getting a terminal illness, dying, getting lit on fire, going to jail for life, ect... The list is long.
Yeah but I haven't experienced any of those so they don't count, I can take those for granted that they won't happen until they do, just like I did my hair. :)

Now you can either accept it and move on like these two:

John Statham
Sean Connery
1. I don't look good with short hair or a shaved head.
2. I'm not old. Old guys can pull it off wonderfully, because they can pull almost anything off really well. They're old, it makes them distinguished and respectable.

Then that is a personality trait you should consider working on. Trust me on this, it's not the end of the world, and even if were so what? It's not something you can really control, so don't worry about it.
Yeah I really know that it is. It's really hard to change something that's so deeply embedded in who you are, though. I just love my hair and never even considered the fact that I might lose it until a few weeks ago. It's really something that's freaked me out recently.

And I knew everything you said before you even posted. Hell, I've said that sh!t to other people on this forum. It's just hard to accept and to actually believe.

Coupled with a lot of other stuff that I'm dealing with right now, it's just the icing on the cake.

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. I don't look good with short hair or a shaved head.
You may not look good with a shaved head, but I'll bet dollars to donuts you'll look a lot worse with a comb over. :cool:

Yeah I really know that it is. It's really hard to change something that's so deeply embedded in who you are, though. I just love my hair and never even considered the fact that I might lose it until a few weeks ago. It's really something that's freaked me out recently.

And I knew everything you said before you even posted. Hell, I've said that sh!t to other people on this forum. It's just hard to accept and to actually believe.

Coupled with a lot of other stuff that I'm dealing with right now, it's just the icing on the cake.

What ever that other stuff is I hope you can get it sorted. When stress builds up it has a tendency to get channeled into/effect other areas of your life. If you get this other stuff sorted, I bet you'll probably forget about your hair.

Joe Stud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1stly, those pics show normal hair, not advanced thinning.

2ndly, can anyone give this gent your experiences with rogaine or other similar products?

3rdly, save your money. if you are THAT much against going bald, you might want hair transplants or implants. work hard, work overtime, save hard.

sometimes 3 hours of plastic surgery is worth more than 3 years of therapy...

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe Stud said:

2ndly, can anyone give this gent your experiences with rogaine or other similar products?

3rdly, save your money. if you are THAT much against going bald, you might want hair transplants or implants. work hard, work overtime, save hard.

sometimes 3 hours of plastic surgery is worth more than 3 years of therapy...
1) The pictures are of bald(ing) men, not men with normal hair. More to the point they don't care that they went or are going bald, except for the 3rd guy who opted for the awful comb over.

2) Those products don't work, and they can be expensive. I know I've tried them before.

3) I agree on the save your money part, but the saved money could spent on other things such a gym membership. Women likely won't care if his hair line is receding if he has rock hard six pack.

Like I said before, losing your hair is not a big deal.

Joe Stud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SharinganUser said:
1) The pictures are of bald(ing) men, not men with normal hair. More to the point they don't care that they went or are going bald, except for the 3rd guy who opted for the awful comb over.

2) Those products don't work, and they can be expensive. I know I've tried them before.

3) I agree on the save your money part, but the saved money could spent on other things such a gym membership. Women likely won't care if his hair line is receding if he has rock hard six pack.

Like I said before, losing your hair is not a big deal.

1) He's not that bad yet.
2) Rogaine is scientifically a proven product for the crown of the head balding.
3) Gym membership and a six pack is fine. But bald is bald, and not generally a desired trait by either male or female. In fact a guy with a LITTLE spare tire & full hair will probably get more women than when he loses his hair... and 10 lbs.

for the above reason (3)... losing your hair (especially when you are 23, and have a big nose and head) IS in fact, a "big deal". Sorry.

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe Stud said:
1) He's not that bad yet.
2) Rogaine is scientifically a proven product for the crown of the head balding.
3) Gym membership and a six pack is fine. But bald is bald, and not generally a desired trait by either male or female. In fact a guy with a LITTLE spare tire & full hair will probably get more women than when he loses his hair... and 10 lbs.

for the above reason (3)... losing your hair (especially when you are 23, and have a big nose and head) IS in fact, a "big deal". Sorry.
Getting tired of this one two three stuff. I don't think you are speaking from personal experience and I think you are just speculating. I am speaking from personal experience, as I have had thinning hair since my mid to early teens. Being bald has given me or the people around me any major set backs, or caused me or others any harm in any way, so I fail to see how it's a big deal. As I said before, losing a limb, or getting a terminal illness is far, far worse than losing your hair.

You say a guy with a full head of hair and spare tire will get more women than a ripped bald guy would. May be he would maybe he wouldn't, there are other factors (more important factors) to consider. You also have to take into account that more does not always mean better. I would take 2 quality women over 6 uggos any day of the week.

You're only speculating that the guy with the spare tire and the full head of hair would get more chicks.

Are you seriously trying to say that(all other things being equal) women would rather sleep with This guy rather than This guy here?

If you are confident and secure with who you are then eventually you'll realize that it isn't something to fret over.

You are (or seem to be) advocating a mind set that relies on what women think. Who cares what some strange woman thinks about your hair? If she doesn't like it, she can piss off.

Also, there is no need to apologize. I am not offended, or upset about this. We're just having a conversation.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Stop washing your hair with hot water: Having all that hot water coming down fast on your scalp from the shower head is not good for your scalp. Wash your body first, then leave washing your hair for last with cold water (just not freezing cold so you don't get sick or something). Turn the pressure down so the water doesn't hit your scalp so hard.

2. Stop using hair products: hair gel or whatever you put on your hair. I only do it if I have a date or a job interview most of the time but not all the time as I have gotten used to going out without hair gel. If i'm going out with friends or whatever I just wet my hair and that's it.

Better to be safe than sorry. If this doesn't work you can always buy that $500 laser calmb which I hear works well but hopefully you don't get to that point. :)

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
f283000 said:
1. Stop washing your hair with hot water: Having all that hot water coming down fast on your scalp from the shower head is not good for your scalp. Wash your body first, then leave washing your hair for last with cold water (just not freezing cold so you don't get sick or something). Turn the pressure down so the water doesn't hit your scalp so hard.

2. Stop using hair products: hair gel or whatever you put on your hair. I only do it if I have a date or a job interview most of the time but not all the time as I have gotten used to going out without hair gel. If i'm going out with friends or whatever I just wet my hair and that's it.

Better to be safe than sorry. If this doesn't work you can always buy that $500 laser calmb which I hear works well but hopefully you don't get to that point. :)
This is very good advice!

On top of that I've heard people have success stopping hair loss by including apple cider vinegar and coconut oil in their daily diet.

ENIGMA16

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My diet is impeccable.

Although, nobody's answered the question I asked. Does it look like this is the start of going bald or not?

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
f283000 said:

nah man I have all my hair and I do everything you say not too here. There is no real evidence other than "folk lore" that can point the blame at what you said.

Going bald is genetic, and *maybe* stress related...mostly the former. I'll admit its one of those things I have nightmares about too. I can't imagine the self conscience males who start losing in their 20s in college..

Also in regards to the OP and the photos, I and everyone else on my mothers side has those ( my youngest cousin has two). Its not a sign of balding as my mothers side was pretty good about that. Most of my friends who are losing or lost their hair do it from the hairline above the eyebrows first. Look at Connery when he was younger; same pattern started developing and progressing. At least he had most of his flow during his youthful years.

HeyPachuco!

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP,

From the photos, it doesn't look as if you're balding mate. I have the same small ditch in the middle of my crown occasionally too. Depends on, how I keep my hair. More than likely, I see it after about 4 weeks before getting a haircut. From the photos, it seems as if you have a full set of hair on both sides, the same length. How do you get your haircuts? Do you keep the sides shorter than the top? And post some pics of your frontal hairline. This could be a better chance to see if you're truelly beginning to thin, though I doubt it.

How is your diet? Do you sleep alot? Does your hair grow slow after a haircut?

Joe Stud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JTLAY: Look at my first post (#7): My first comment was:

I DID answer your question. And to their credit, some of the others also gave you some decent advice on retaining the hair you have.

As far as the other gent who singled my comments out and took issue, I offer this: Let's get Penkitten, Cinamon, and a few other female DJ"s here and ask them:
" all things equal, who would you date: a bald guy, or a guy who has a good head of hair".

Yes, I'm "speculating".. but it's based on my dealings with women. all things equal, they like hair. So, as I said.... It IS a big deal for a 23 yr old guy who has a big head 7 nose, to lose his hair. Bottom line.

I'm not talking about "losing a limb", or "getting cancer", yes those are worse. But that doesn't mean (at 23, big schnozz & head) is as he put it: (Quote several times) Going bald isn't a big deal

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First, you aren't going bald, so just stop. Your hair is fine.

However, IF you are worried about it, start taking propecia, or the generic version of it. It is taylor made for you, thinning on the top of the head. 6 month supply only cost $75 or so. One pill a day, plus it helps to fight prostrate cancer!

DO NOT TAKE ROGAINE! I did for a while, and my blood pressure went through the roof, my heart started to make all kinds of crazy palpatations and heartbeats, I felt faint, felt like I was having a heart attack, it was like I was poisoned. Seriously, do not take use that stuff.

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lots of the stuff you've heard about hair loss causes is false:

-Wearing a hat; some say it doesn't let the hair breathe, this is hog wash, that has nothing to do with hair growth or loss. You can Google that for more info

-Style Products: while I'd agree they're not good for the hair since they're filled with synthetic chemicals etc there's no proof that these cause hair loss either

-washing your hair in hot water: again a witch tale told by people looking to blame hair loss on something.

--------------------------------------

One of the MAJOR causes of hair loss in MEN is low stomach acid. Why? Because stomach acid specifically pepsin is the major digestive enzyme needed to break down animal proteins. Hair, skin and nail growth is completely dependent on sufficient protein intake; ever notice how fast your nails grow when your on a high protein diet?

As men age, they start to produce less stomach acid, in some men they completely stop producing any at all for reasons that are still not well understood. However one cause of decreased stomach acid production is STRESS.... chronic stress, severe stress, prolonged stress has a direct impact not only on stomach acid, but quality of digestion.

The first thing I would do if I were you is start taking some Betaine Hydro-choloride pills. Make sure its sourced from beets and includes pepsin. I'd also go for the tablets over the capsules. What you are suppose to do is start off by taking one pill with a meal. If you don't feel any burning or burping shortly there after, increase the dosage by one with each meal until you DO feel a slight burning sensation. When you feel the burn, decrease the dosage by one pill and that should be taken with each meal everyday for at least a month.

This method is not used to RE-GROWTH hair, although it could, rather its used to prevent any further hair loss, a natural way.

Lucky for me I look best with a closely shaved head and still have a full head of hair... there is a genetic component to hair loss, but I believe that is due to improper nutrition and poor tolerance of stress.

PIMP

JdelaSilviera

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well my view is a little dramatic on this but I´ll tell you what I think. Stop having sex so much, and if you aren´t having sex just don´t masturbate. You can google DHT and baldness link and you can also google sexual activity and DHT. You´ll find that in each ejaculation you rise a lot your levels of DHT.
This is what nobody will tell you... I can also inform you that I´m not religious and I say this based on evidence I found online and with my own experience. Some people won´t be as sensitive to sex..
Summing up, avoid ejaculating as much as you can and use egg yolk for your hair.
you don´t seem to be balding though....

In my dramatic opinion sex is the beginning of death, and it´s probably the activity that makes more demands on your body in many aspects...

PS: this information coupled with my bad english may seem I´m retard or drunk... do the research for yourself.

Mr.H

Don Juan
Reaction score
So, you are going bald. Get over it as life isn't fair.

I've been losing my hair since my 20's and only shallow people think any worse of me for it. To suggest I'm a loser because I'm now taller than my hair leaves me finding it very hard to show any sympathy towards you.