Gillette's 5 blade razor

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought the Onion article (written in 2004) was funny, until I recently saw the commercial for Gillette's 5 blade razor. (Yeah, I'm far behind the times, but I have a life which mostly doesn't include televison).

This is the fvcking stupidest thing I've ever seen! That's like putting 9 extra wheels on a car to make it a smoother ride, regardless if the wheels touch the ground.

I gotta wonder how this thing feels (or how badly you bleed) if you shave your balls with it. I, for one won't be trying that.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its funny how they come out with new razors every other week and yet they all do an equally ****ty job.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In fact lets take it one step further and pattent the latest 100 razor blade shaver that is the size of a baseball mit. We can market it as a one stroke shave and you are done!

youknowtherest

Don Juan
Reaction score
I like the Mach III. I feel a definite improvement over a single-blade. I don't see any need for a 4 or 5 blade razor, though. I tried a sample pack of 4-blade razors and there was no difference from a 3-blade that I could tell.

Who the hell needs 5 blades?

BacardiGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I use the fusion (5 blades) and it definitely gives a smoother, better shave than my old mach 3.

Only thing is that the blades are expensive as hell.

S1NN3R

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And this, my friends, is why I go for the Don Johnson/Sonny Crockett look all the time. My 38 year old clippers (gift from my grandfather) work just as well as clippers made today (for what I want to do with them). I don't have to go through the evidently agonizing decision process of whether I can get away with just 10 blades and a gel grip or if I really really need the new 40 blade system with built in, battery powered vibrator, and "ergonomic polymer operator interface grip" (better known as a "plastic handle" before the advertising guys got a hold of it). And no, I'm not kidding, I actually saw some razor that said "ergonomic polymer operator interface grip".

My biggest choice is "Do I want to plug the clippers into the top outlet, or the bottom one?" :D

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The last razor I bought was two years ago.

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/dovo/images/gdpearl.jpg

The only thing I use a safety razor for is my nuts... old school twin blades work fine. I haven't used up the supply I bought of THOSE three years ago.

You folks should really learn to use a straight razor and reap the financial benefits. Take a minute to calculate how much on average you spend on razors a year, then, over your lifetime.

I can't even begin to tell you how pleased I am with my cut-throat and the shave I get from it. The benefits are far too many to list. If you are a fan of heritage and tradition, and enjoy the celebration of manhood that is the ceremony of shaving, I can only allude to how awesome it feels to walk out of the bathroom after scraping the hair off your face with a straight-edge. If you've never gotten a straight razor shave, get one.

The first time I used it, noone showed me how. Oh wow did I sweat bullets. Afterwards, it felt like my face had just been raped by an X-acto knife. Funny, I didn't cut myself until the third time. But, now that I think of it, I cut my face less with a straight edge than with a "safety razor".

I should start a thread in the H&F forum...

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shick Quattro is pure evilness.

Vulpine : How much do one of those babies cost? How often do you change the razor on that one or do you just sharpen it?

Steg

Don Juan
Reaction score
I tried my uncles staright razor once and didnt go too well. Sure I'd get the hang of it sooner or later but for now the generic twin blade works well enough for me.

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
S1NN3R said:
My biggest choice is "Do I want to plug the clippers into the top outlet, or the bottom one?" :D

Ohh the horrrrror. :crazy:

4th letter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im 22 and since 17 had to shave like every two days or it gets really thick and hurts like a ***** unless I trim it down with an electric

Mach 3 great razor when It came out I was able to go four days

Mach 3 turbo could go as long as I wanted but left my face irritated

Mach fusion with the four blades plus 1 for sideburns and such gave a smoother shave but still left my neck irritated

IRRITATION PROBLEM SOLVED

I was with a shorty at the mall went into this store called MELT
it was like a lotions and potions type of isht

The girls in there where all good looking and it was a new store so they tried all this stuff on me normally i wouldnt but having a girl put lotion on you while your with a girl YEAH!

They had this shave lotion and I reccomend yall ditch the normal shaving gels and creams for this stuff

I waited two weeks to shave had a full beard not extremely thick but it was a full on beard and shaved with that lotion and no irritation or dryness.

Dont even need after shave or moisturizer after unless you like to feel like you just splashed yourself with water .

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
PRMoon said:
Shaving thread imput.

I've been using the same disposeable razor for the last 2 months now. It still seems to work pretty well since I don't let my fiacial hair grow too long. Some of the girls at my job were commending on how you can develop serious infections and what, but as of this time my skin has been as smooth and as clean as it ever has. Possibly because I have good heigene and wash my face twice a day at least. Whatever the case, that razor cost me 5 dollars for a set of 6 and this is only the second one i've used. I'm thinking of switching to a new one maybe at the end of the month but two weeks in but I'm not sure yet. All in all I say phooey to purchasing expencive disposable razors once or more a month from now on.
Recycled.
I'm about to shave before I go to sunday school at Body English. I just got rid or razor number 2, it was still working but it wasn't shaving as close as I needed. Razor number 3 I expect to have until mid late november. I think I can make the set of 6 last almost a full year.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Centaurion said:
Shick Quattro is pure evilness.

Vulpine : How much do one of those babies cost? How often do you change the razor on that one or do you just sharpen it?

I did end up starting a thread in H&F to put down as much info as I can recall. If anyone is serious about straight-edge shaving and would like some info, check it out:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=106653

4th letter

Don Juan
Reaction score
Joe The Homophobe said:
What is up with you guys? I just buy the pack of like 5 cheap razors for like 2 bucks at the grocery store!
You might as well use the razors they give in jail

American_Psycho

Don Juan
Reaction score
I used a Mach 3 Turbo for a long time because everyone seems to think it's best. After a while I got tired of paying so much and I tried an old Sensor Excel (2 blades) I had lying around. I actually prefer it greatly to the Mach 3. Blades are cheaper, the shave is closer and less irritating, and they seem to last longer too.

Brian20o2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats so bad with the Quattro? Am I missing somthing? I think its infinitly better than the 3 dozen bag of bic 2 blades that my step dad uses.