Getting Respect

Snapple

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have had this problem for a couple months now. I am having a hard time getting the respect i want. Some of you are gonna say "beat someone up" or "crack some heads open" or something. Believe me, i would love to do this (especially to a certain few people) except i go to a boarding school. My parents paid a lot of money to get me here and getting kicked out is not the idea they had in doing so. So any suggestions???

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
"You must lose everything in order to gain anything."

SuSHI

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't pick a fight! With anyone!

You don't want earn respect that way, even if you win.

I find that humour and confidence can get you the most respect. Work on these two areas and you will be fine.
Remember, when you don't give a sh!t, it will show and people will never look down on you.

But don't be uptight or anything, just have fun and be funny, girls and guys alike will respect you for it, guaranteed!

WTFWTFWTF

Reaction score
You said it Sushi! Respect it somthing that has to be earned but not necessarely by fists, just play it cool and dont give a **** what people think, they will learn to respect you, just give it some time!

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Be friendly to everybody. I've made loads of friends just in the past few weeks since I started going out of my way to do that. Even saying hi to people who you hardly know is nice.

aBAzLLnA

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wise words Julian.

Never strive to gain respect from anyone. You dont need it.

Actions speak louder than words.

Peace is always the answer.

Respect will come with the package of freedom. Free yourself from others.

Anyway, good advice here...

~ivan

katoom

Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally I think if your out to gain resepct, your not gonna gain any. I did my own thing all through out highschool, I was no alpha male and I didnt have all the girls flocking all over me. But now that HS is over for me I look back and see how I didnt change for anyone and didnt try to earn anyones respect and still had more friends then i could count. I wouldnt have changed a thing.

Sammo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wassup champ :cool:

I was EXACTLY like you when i first arrived at this site, and then i realised it: I wasted so much time trying to get OTHER peoples respect that i didnt improve on myself. First thing you need to do is take this want and respect and throw it out yarrawonga (get rid of it), because it is no use to you!

Just improve yourself and the girls + respect will come in time. If you tryed hard enough you could probably find little kinks in the social networking of your school and manage to become the most popular (which would still involve alot of self improvement anyway) guy in the school.

But the problem lies in that when you leave the school you will have to start from scratch with a completelly new social group, it is alot easier to simply improve yourself and people will come to you.. its as simple as that.

Most importantly, dont improve yourself to get popular,. do it for yourself.

Hope that helped .. Sammo

P.S. whoever told you that beating people up would get you respect, well their right but its not the kind of respect you wnat from people. It would be a fearful respect not an affectionate sort of respect.

Snapple

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. What are some other ways that you guys think i can improve or that you have been improving? I already wear nice clothes (we kinda have to, boarding school) and have good hygene. I'm in great shape and I am already working out to improve my body in a gym.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know I say this a lot but I cannot stress it enough. If you want everyone to respect you, then you have to respect everyone. I'm not talking about being polite. Become everyone's homie. Don't talk behind other people's backs. Don't give anyone reason NOT to respect you.

SuSHI

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its story time!

hey guys, I just remembered this thing that happened to me back in elementary school that relates to this.

When I was in gr.6 I was bullied by this pr!ck.
He was around my height, but was not scrunny. :rolleyes:

I really hated him, cause he would always purposely pick with me. So one day on my way leaving the school he approached me and pushed me. I just losssst it!

I just went completely crazy on him and the next thing I knew he was walking away from the fight. After that we shortly became friends!

So what is the moral of the story? I dunno, but its not to just fight someone.

To me, respect is gained through showing that you are not weak. Back in gr.6 that was how I showed it. But we are in high school and much more mature than that! c'mon now.

Most of this can be shown by being independent. Especially in high school. When you are the guy in the class that doesn't dress just like everyone else, have your own opinion, and are intelligent on your own terms, add a pinch of humour in there and you will instantly get respect.

Its easy to discribe but hard to consistently do. But you gotta keep at it.

SuSHI.

Serialized3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, beating people up doesn't get women's respect (only men's), it makes them sort of frightened of ya.

Back in highschool I was the big, tough, jock 'rebel' metal guy, and i would act tough and would rough up guy or two at school and nobody at the school aside me and one of friends could really fight (I wrestled he Boxed).

And I thought by reading some stuff from the DJC (and also ASF) that the rebel jerk guy could pull in the ladies cos they act super confident.

So I mean, I went out on a first date with a dozen or so girls, and I acted like I normally did (a bit unpredictable, creative, but also sort of a bold jerk too). Well I never really got a second date. And the girls always, always came up with a total bs excuse (i have a bf, not ready for a relationship) and then It hit me that the girls were sort of scared of me because I was just too much of a tough guy character.

Although, if you want to be popular among the guys, you should act like I did. I had a lot of friend, and legend still exists at my highschool to this day.

I mean, when you think about it, look at Tyson. A lot of guys have respect for him because he can destroy them, but women don't like him because he can -literally- destroy them.

Snapple

Don Juan
Reaction score
These kids at my high school are not mature at all. They are pretty pathetic but i still want their respect. They may not be worth my time as friends but i'm not looking for enemies. Another thing is that they don't respect each other either, its not just me.