Getting back in shape question

The Pedantical

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I want to start working out and losing weight, but here's my question

A few years ago I was really lean, I was 165 pounds at 5"11 and 9% body fat, but then I just got really lazy and ballooned up to 225 pounds in just a few years

My question is, if I start dieting and working out seriously now will I lose weight faster than someone who's never been fit?

PDubb75

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's a hard question to answer. There are a lot of factors to consider. My short answer to your question is "possibly".

The fact that you were lean before means that you may have genetics on your side more than some others. Since you had been there before, and ballooned up because of laziness, you know what it takes to get back down to the weight you want.

However, there is really know way to tell if you would lose weight "faster" than any particular person. Age is also a big factor in this.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your metabolism hasn't slowed down, then it's possible you will have an easier time than most, but you might be thinking about it the wrong way.

It's not a good idea to seek fast results. Rushing fat loss can cause health problems and a shock to your system, which can result in your body hording fat and making it harder to get in shape. Another problem is if you cut too much too soon, you will stand to plateau at some point and find it very difficult to cut any further.

My advice is instead of going on a mad diet/fitness frenzy, start by dropping the unhealthy crap from your diet...the culprits that made you gain weight in the first place. Continue eating full meals, but just drop the deserts, fast food, and limit your alcohol (or better yet, give it up altogether as it screws up your metabolism).

You will start to drop fat just by doing this. Give it a month or two or wait until you stop seeing results, then cut some more, drop anything high in simple carbs, switch to wholemeal alternatives, cut down on your saturated fats. You'll start dropping more fat from this point, so keep doing it until the results slow down, and then make further cuts, start adding more cardio...and so on.

This gradual approach is not only better on your body, but on your mind too. When it comes time to make cuts, it will be easier to handle and less tempting to quit.