Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Get rid of all these members...

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No no no, I don't mean ban everybody in here, what I mean is "clean" out the Members list if there account hasn't been used in a few months. It's ridiculous to see the "members" section and have over 7,000 names there! A lot of them haven't been here in a long time! But there can be exceptions *cough*Pook*cough, becuase he actaully had advice. Look at all the names that have been here since 2001 with no posts or a handful of posts, it's insane!

Mack Of All Trades

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I second that notion.

Can you also remove old screenames for people (such as myself) who have more than one?

Frankie Poullain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good! I knew I couldn't have been the only one who felt this way. Realise this is really old and 125 views suggest it wasn't too popular, but I didn't want to make a new thread.

Perhaps a mod could make a sticky of all the members who are at risk of being deleted, give them say another month or so to log-on (just once, just to show they are still around). And if people don't take any notice then delete their account.

What's wrong with making this happen? :confused:

Frankie Poullain

Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone got ideas why this shouldn't happen?

I understand it isn't strictly necessary (yet) but that doesn't really explain what's wrong with the idea. At least in principle, we could make happen.

MVPlaya

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some people may not post but periodically revisit the site.

Set the following protocol:

If anyone has not posted within 6 months of establishing an account. Delete his account.

Simple.

Cesare Cardinali

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What will deleting all those accounts solve? It won't increase the quality of posts here and may dissuade some old time members from making a comeback if they return only to find that their old handle has been zapped.

Also, in terms of getting advertisers to support this site and keep the discussion forum up and running, it is better to have a very high number of members and a high level of traffic.

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Won't this just encourage newbie's to post crap in order to keep their accounts live?

LogicalOptimist

Don Juan
Reaction score
vBulletin (the software that runs this board) comes with the feature that you want already. Check their documentation, here. I am not sure if that feature is in the 2.x series, which is what Allen runs (see the bottom of this page), but it is definitely present in 3.x.

Deleting users after inactivity is generally not good practice but disabling accounts is. What happens when a troll that knows the inner workings of the system waits for a well-known account to expire, and simply registers with the newly expired name? What if an old veteran returns to report the long-term success of the DJ system, after a two or three year absence?

Ideally, "account disabling" should be a passive feature, eg: "you haven't logged in for six months; you must respond to this e-mail verifying that you still want the account, or else it is disabled." Users can re-enable using their registered e-mail ("send me a new scrambled password"). But as far as I know no such features are in vBulletin.

Anyway, it's probably just better to filter the members list so that it only shows non-banned members. You ban accounts over time with the prune feature.

Just programmer talk; don't mind me...

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
How about delete all account with less then 5 posts that were created over 6 months ago...

There are tons of SN's with 0 posts from years back. Might as well delete those. you don't need a SN to view stuff. and if your not postign under the SN might as well delete it.

The Edge

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by crazykid
No no no, I don't mean ban everybody in here, what I mean is "clean" out the Members list if there account hasn't been used in a few months. It's ridiculous to see the "members" section and have over 7,000 names there! A lot of them haven't been here in a long time! But there can be exceptions *cough*Pook*cough, becuase he actaully had advice. Look at all the names that have been here since 2001 with no posts or a handful of posts, it's insane!

Do what you you must, just don't disable DEMON or DEISEL... They will be back,..trust me..

Edge

Eternal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Get rid of all these members...

Originally posted by The Edge
Do what you you must, just don't disable DEMON or DEISEL... They will be back,..trust me..

Edge
Demons account was (and still is actually) suspended by Allen, meaning he can't come back as Demon.

DIESEL just never replied to the e-mail apparently saying he can come back.

CableLight

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, they're probably just taking up server space or some other technology-related "thing."

Capi Crimini

Banned
Reaction score
which really is a bad thing when you want the board to appear as high traffic as you can get it to appear.
How many registered users on your site doesn't effect traffic.... Traffic is how many people visit your site and those people can still read the stuff...plus the people we are talking about just clogs up db space...PLus it can slow down the server time. Because the computer has to look through more stuff.... Nyeway Im' for it.