George Costanza = DJ?

Dapper Swindler

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Check this out. I'm sure everyone's seen Seinfeld and probably seen a particular episode called 'The Opposite'. In this episode, George realizes that he's a total AFC and his life sucks and everything he's done must have been the wrong decision because it has created his sucky life. So he decides to do the opposite of every instinct he has. If you watch carefully, you can see how George actually becomes a DJ in doing this.

1) Elaine points out how a woman was looking at him. George thinks that it's pointless because since he has no job and lives with his parents he shouldn't even bother trying to talk to a woman. But because that is his normal AFC instinct he does the opposite and talks to her.

2) After mentioning how he saw her looking in his direction he proudly and confidently introduces himself, "My name is George Costanza, I'm unemployed and i live with my parents". He isn't bashful or ashamed of this, but says it with extreme confidence and indifference of whatever she might think. This woman is very impressed by his confidence.

3) He's on a date with this woman and she points out how he hasn't shaved. Instead of making excuses and trying to recover her opinion, he shows his confidence and indifference to what she might think. "Why shave everyday? It just grows right back. If such superficialities are important to you, this probably isn't going to work".

4) Next a car suddenly cuts him off and almost causes an accident. Instead of exploding in a hysterical rage, George does the opposite and remains calm and cool. "Calm down, it's not the end of the world."

5) At the movie theatre there are two guys sitting behind them, making obscene jokes and kicking their seats. His date suggests they move to different seats, but George says that won't be necessary. He proceeds to chew these guys out and threatens to take them outside for a fight with so much confidence and energy that they are actually afraid of him (even though they could easily beat George up). Now why does George blow up at these guys but remain calm when he was cut off? Simply because getting upset when he was cut off would be pointless, there's nothing that could be done. But the guys in the theatre were ruining the movie for him and his date and he could do something about it.

6) At the end of the date, the woman invites him upstairs. George declines saying that they don't know each other very well yet. This creates an aura of mystery about him as well as makes him a challenge to her.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to get too technical.

But this gets to the hard of "self-perception" and "identity." Who are we?

In most cases we are only aware of who we are under the context of the frames we experience. For instance, if all the people you hang around with are extremely careful about life, i.e. no risk-taking, rarely fail or make mistakes, then whenever you have an accident, or screw up, or spill something, you'll be labeled a loser, or as someone prone to making mistakes. Two things can come of it, rebellion or a lack of self-confidence.

By doing the opposite, you experience the frames of life and realize:

PERCEPTION IS REALITY.

Tyler Durden did this as well in one of his exercises in Fight Club. He told them as homework to pick a fight with someone AND lose. What they came to find out was the most people don't fight, they avoid it. And also a sense of confidence as they bucked the normal trends of society. Imagine having the confidence of mobster, knowing anything someone does to you, you can revolt back on? That kind of mental freedom is awe-inspiring.

Nice post.

A-Unit

Porky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TV != reality.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
THESE ARE THE DUMBEST THREADS ON THE BOARD. I DON'T CARE IF YOU THOUGHT GEORGE COSTANZA WAS PIMP OR SCREECH FROM SAVED BY THE BELL (BEEN DONE BEFORE) STOP COMPARING YOUR LIFE TO FICTIONAL CHARACTERS AND LIVE

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
MICROPHONE UR S0 RITE MAN LETS LIVE

idiot_boyfriend

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

or

HOOCHIE MAMA!!!!!

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan