Genetic Push Away from Monogamy?

DoctorLW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
So here I am again as my mind is once again blown open by the dating world. Every relationship I've had, generally I get sick of the girl after a few months. Before I told myself it's just because I hadn't found the right one, but now I'm starting to suspect that isn't the case based on genetic programming.

Right now I have a great girlfriend. I'd even go to the extent of saying I "love" her. But every passing day I find her less and less sexually attractive. This has more or less happened with every other girlfriend I had as well, but none of them were my "best friend" as this one is. In the past I would just break up with them at this point, but it's much harder to make this decision when I like everything about this person. Mentally I still want to be attracted to her, but physically my body is starting to force me away.

Now all of the sudden I'm extremely prone to cheating on her. The last two times I've gone out without her, I've ended up with two different girls each time. Thankfully due to freak circumstances each time, I didn't sleep with either which saved me. But it was damn close. I could have, and would have slept with both of these girls had some freak circumstances saved my ass each time, but I consciously chose each time to go ahead and cheat(wasted out of my mind of course, but I still CHOSE it), so in the end I almost feel like I did cheat even though technically I didn't.

The question that arises is are we all just screwed like this forever? How can you get married when your attraction for another person will inevitably fade. How can you stop yourself from cheating when every biological impulse is telling you to do something even though mentally you are happy with your situation? Eventually circumstances won't save me, and I'm going to cheat. How can I be happy when my body forces me to be unable to see my girlfriend as sexually attractive anymore, even though I like every other aspect of her companionship? If I break up with her, then I lose her companionship. It's a lose lose situation and I just don't get it.

I'm just looking for some perspective from you guys, because I know there are probably a few of you on here that have dealt with the same thing.

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's not genetic thats just an excuse.

You have to take responsibility for your own actions. Why do you like her less and less? Maybe you need constant change and excitment.

Do you think of other women when you're with your GF? Because if you think about sex with other women and think that you might get bored of her, thats what usually happens. So don't think about other women i you want to stay with your GF.

Alphamale1821

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
this is why i choose not to get in "relationships" I think it's far more better to let a girl know that you can have the benefits of a relationship but not be exclusive. Theirs FB's and then you have MLTRS, several girls who you are fuucking but also having the benefit of "Relationship" qualities. Truth is man if your having doubts, let her go or try to get in an open relationship.

dbot

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Head on over to hulu.com and watch a movie titled "A Little Sex." It's an old 80s flick with a million cliches, but I've never seen a film that better illustrates this sexual/emotional dilemma that's been plaguing men for ages.

Sir, when you feel your attraction slipping you must fight to keep it strong. This requires a brutal level of honesty with your partner that most men are afraid to use. You may be able to fool yourself but you're not fooling me. You know exactly what it is about your girlfriend that's turning you off, but you don't have the heart to confront her about it. No matter how tiny or inconsequential a flaw it may seem, it will eat at you and slowly build until it's too late. So figure out exactly what it is about her that's killing your desire (which more likely than not is your fault), and FIX it.

Last edited: