Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

gaining weight with just protein

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
GAINING WEIGHT WITH JUST PROTEIN! I'm not going to buy protein nor those carb drinks nor and so on
I'm going to gain weight through just protein! I'm going to buy a lot of tuna fish and eat a lot, thats' it, I'm going natural!

ok, is it possible and
WHO IS WITH ME?? :)

Elimidate

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes.

Working out breaks down muscles

Protien repairs muscles and makes them bigger to compensate.

Muscles weight more than fat

More muscle = more weight

Elimidate

icepick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You gotta eat some carbs and fat too otherwise your T-levels are gonna drop lower than grandma's boobies.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm just sick of spending money and not gaining weight

D'Anconia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you guys fvcking kidding me? To gain weight with just protein is almost impossible. The only way you could do it would be to eat upwards of 1000 grams of protein per day combined with steroids to keep your t-levels adequate. However, this is just plain dumb. You're missing out on vital nutrients that healthy carbs and fats provide. If you're spending money and not gaining weight, you sure as hell aren't going to gain weight by eating just protein.

Do you log your calories? If you don't do this, try it for a week or two just to give yourself a sound basis of how much you're really eating. Overall caloric level is much more important for gaining weight than macronutrient ratios.

sonick182

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dontcha need Carbs to create energy that synthesizes the protein?

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, know what?
just tell me a list of things I NEED, notice NEED, not can also help, NEED to gain weight... I prefer a list over explaination

D'Anconia

Don Juan
Reaction score
quick guide to gaining weight, I'm sure all of this is in Diesel's guide but I'll shorten it:

weight training:
Use heavy, multi-joint exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench press, weighted dips, chin ups, barbell rows, barbell curls, shoulder press)
- no more than 4, 1-hour training sessions per week
- as little cardio as needed (none if you're a skinny, hard-gainer)

diet:
- eat 6 or 7 or even 8 times per day (note that not all of these have to be full-blown "meals"
- use 1.5 or 2 scoops of whey with 60-80 g of dextrose for post workout
- eat a big meal 1 hour later consisting of just protein and carbs (ie. cottage cheese and oatmeal, egg whites and toast, chicken and rice or chicken and potatoes)...this is the meal where you really want to go heavy on the carbs, like 100 g or so
- eat a smaller meal before you workout...oatmeal and a protein shake is a good choice
-eat a bowl of cottage cheese before you go to bed...casein is slow digesting and will help prevent muscle breakdown overnight...you can also add some oatmeal or whole grain bread with this "meal"
- this covers your 4 essential eating periods...eat 2 or 3 or 4 more times throughout the day
- each of these other meals should include a healthy portion of protein, enough complex carbs to help you hit your desired caloric level and your necessary healthy fats (flax and olive oils, peanuts, natural peanut butter, cheese, most other nuts, fatty fish)
- this stuff isn't all that complicated, just lift hard and eat harder
Good luck dude

Here's a good link for you. Check out the question, "How should I eat if I want to gain weight?"

T-mag FAQ

Reaction score
natural muscle gain sources

the best natural food source for muscle gain is EGGS. they are the best in being most complete in essential amino acids for muscle gain plus protein. then beyond eggs go with any lean meats, fish, poultry. they general all have some amino acids and good supplies of protein.

Reaction score
empty carbs worthless

you don't necessarily need carbs. only if they are good complex carbs such as from veggies and fruits and whole grains loaded with nutrients. empty carbs like sugar and refined flours are anti-nutrients and force the body to use its stored nutrients to convert them to energy or fat.

marqZAL

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you don't necessarily need carbs. only if they are good complex carbs such as from veggies and fruits and whole grains loaded with nutrients. empty carbs like sugar and refined flours are anti-nutrients and force the body to use its stored nutrients to convert them to energy or fat.
To gain weight you need carbs, and you need protien...you to increase your overall calories....by just protien??? Thats tough alone... Your muscle need glycogyn thats why you need carbs, otherwise your workouts will be flat.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
ok then, I'll go crazy with carbs and proteins, I'm sure that's good enough to gain weight (not getting into the meals, I'm saying generally)

The Great Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
sorry to butt in here, but you need your essential fatty acids too, they provide your body with many important nutrients.

What you NEED to do is read DIESAL's guide to bulking. Each meal should be about 30% protein, 50% carbs (good carbs) and 20% fat (good fats). You don't need any supplements, but you need a proper balance diet, having lots of protein won't suddenly make you huge if you aren't creating a calorie surplus with plenty of good carbs and fats too.

CONAN

Don Juan
Reaction score
To say that you need carbs isnt true, you dont, You can get all your nutrients from protein and fat, in fact if you stop eating carbs you become a fat burner rather than a sugar burner and you will cut a lot quicker!
Its called going into Ketosis, which basically means your body uses your fat stores for energy rather than blood Glycogen and blood glucose.
Remember eating fat doesnt make you fat, sitting on your butt makes you fat!
Regards
C

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe so, but even if trying to cut, injesting some carbs post workout and early in the morning will not affect a goal of staying lean. I would personally not go below 100g carbs per day even if trying to lean up. This is immaterial anyway as the poster wants to put on size and should therefore not be concerned about holding on to a little excess weight.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by D'Anconia

- use 1.5 or 2 scoops of whey with 60-80 g of dextrose for post workout
I wonder, do I really need the dextrose? what about the people in the ancient time like Rome, where Alexander the Great was, he had muscular body, yet they didn't know or had the stuff we had

just give me the stuff we need, though I got most of them, I just doubt we need creatine, dextrose and so on, just for lazy people, I'm serious about this

D'Anconia

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by KmZDon
I wonder, do I really need the dextrose? what about the people in the ancient time like Rome, where Alexander the Great was, he had muscular body, yet they didn't know or had the stuff we had
I can't repeat this enough. Dextrose is the best for post-workout! It's not that big a deal! Go to the bulk food store and pick it up under the name "corn sugar". It's cheap and it's the most efficient way to get the insulin spike and glycogen replacment that you need post-workout. But really, if you don't want to bother getting some, your alternative choices should be any carb source that your body can digest quickly and that gives you an insulin spike. I know some guys that eat white bread and honey sandwiches.

Too many people look at dextrose the same way as they do creatine, glutamine, etc. It's not really a "supplement" per say, it's just food. The best type for post-workout.

Turalyon999

Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all Alexander wasn't Roman, he was Greek. Second of all, those statues they made of people back then were idealized. i.e. that may or may not have been the way they actually looked.

On the subject of just eating protein. I agree with the others, you need fats and carbs too. Carbs are most readily changed into energy by the body. If you're just trying to gain weight, and aren't too worried about getting fat, then carbs are your friend, it's when your cutting that calories from carbs are a little less desirable, though they are still necessary.

You should always eat a balanced diet. Besides, I'm sure you'd get tired of just eating tuna after a while.