Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Full contact 2-3 times a week plus gym 3 times a week.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I recently started doing full contact and fell in love instantly (is that AFC ;) ).
I'm also going to the gym doing a 3 times a week routine, which is divided as follows:
Day 1) Legs and shoulders.

Day 2) Chest and biceps.

Day 3) Back and triceps.

Full contact is VERY and I mean VERY instense cardio, my goal is to gain mass at the gym. What can I do in order to avoid overtraining.

I do the following:
Monday: Fullcontact
Tuesday: Chest and biceps
Wednesday: Fullcontact
Thursday: Legs and shoulders.
Friday: Fullcontact
Saturday: Back and triceps.

I want ideas about how to avoid overtraining. I'm thinking of leaving wednesday as a rest day.
Any thoughts, appreciated :) .

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I do the same as you, only I have to say you're doing it all wrong. The way you train you're never gonne be fighting a good match. Leave at least 3 days open and do nothing intensive, or every official fight will be a masscare for you. We train first, then spar etc.. all on the same day, 3 times a week, and our club wins 7/10 games.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Full contact is a very similar sport to kick boxing.

My goals are to gain mass AND be good at full contact.
If I trained both on the same day, I would do one awfully bad because I would be very tired from the other.

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't understand, you can't train to gain mass and be a fighter at the same time. Do you wanne know how hurt the playboys go home after each tournament ? If you wanne fight then you have to train properly. I've been doing this for over 7 years now, and I consider myself better then the average contestant. You don't want to do the 8-reps, I stopped this year with tournaments cause it was eating up all my free time, so this is why I'm only now doing the 'mass' gaining stuff. For a fighter you should not do 8 with heavy weights. You should do 50 with lighter ones (heavy gloves, hitting a bag) and feel your muscles burn at the end, then let them rest they will recover and improve speed, but they won't get thicker. If you train every two days for the playboy look, and actually want to be able to put up a fight, you will lose every day. You will be way to slow, you will be tired way before your opponent, and those are two things that make a great or a bad fighter, speed and endurance. And even if you wanted to do some mass gaining programs, which some of the guys, including my trainer did, then those exist for fighters, ask your coach. But I can assure you that you will NOT look good, you will just be one solid piece of meat whooping the opponent. And whatever mass you gained, you will lose most of it with every preparation for a tournament, you have to do MAD cardio before one. My program consisted of one run at 6am before school/college and one run in the evening.

Charisma

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh and the only part where it's actually a big deal to gain mass, and you will gain it by training, is in the legs.

Aiken_Drum

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thank you for your imput charisma and I agree with what you said, you cannot be a master at both, but I'm not looking to be the greatest kick boxer, I want to be good at it and have a nice muscled body.

Reaction score
Originally posted by Aiken_Drum
Full contact is a very similar sport to kick boxing.

My goals are to gain mass AND be good at full contact.
If I trained both on the same day, I would do one awfully bad because I would be very tired from the other.
This is not true at all. Right now, you will be overtrained in no time flat.

You should do your full contact and lifting on the SAME DAY so you get FOUR DAYS of REST a week. Your performance and mass gains should improve dramatically.

The key is to space your workouts 8 HOURS APART. and to make sure you are eating a ton of protein and carbs on your workout days.

try this: lift in the a.m. before school do full contact after school..

madgame

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You should listen to vvd. I guess I´d do it the same day. Your less likely to overtrain if u have a few days of complete rest.
Besides, I have to disagree with charisma. I don't consider myself the greatest martial artist or whateva, but I've been into it for 12 years or so now...and you know there's a lot of really good martial artists who are of his opinion. I think bruce lee actually used light weights and fast reps too. This however doesnt really have to do a lot with training your muscles themselves, but with training the nerves (?) that are responsible for using your muscles. That way youll gain speed by punching with light weights. Of course being muscular will slow your speed down a little, but if u dont get a big meathead it shouldnt cost you too much speed. Look at Mike Tyson who a lotta people prolly would consider a meathead. I'd say hes still quick. Then look at roy jones jr. He got muscles too and is fast as ****. Those guys ARE muscular but still fast. It´d be ridiculous to say that they`re only fast because they build their muscles by doing fast repetitions cause there's 2 types of muscle fibers. slow-twitch and fast-twitch fibers. At the end of the day muscles are muscles and if u train in the 5-8 rep range or something you will develop the FAST twitch type. If those boxers aren't enough examples for yall, look at the k1 fighters for example. Most of them are big...just no meatheads. All in all you shouldnt lose too much speed if you get muscular but not too muscular....Working out with light weights using fast movements serves a complete different purpose.

By the way......ever heared of weight classes?? If hes gonna be big as hell be in another weight class than the guys who are skinnier and thus quicker than him.

Sorry if this post was a bit harsh or something..didnt mean to disrespect anybody :)