Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Front vs. Back Squat

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree fully that if someone can back squat safely and effectively then they should. However, that does not mean that the front squat cannot be utilized effectively in a training program even if you can perform the back squat safely. I make this point above and we agree on that.

The only real issues in your reply were the IA thing which I think Simon covered, and your opinion that it is an easier lift. To me they are both of equal difficulty, to Stronglifts they are harder, and you say they are easier. Where does this leave us? At a conclusion we all know: That different lifts work differently for different people. Differently :). And you will not know whether the front squat is useful for you and gives good carryover for you, unless you try. I am about to embark on this endeavor, so we will see how it works for me. In an ideal situation both would be included in the training program.

I was a bit puzzled by this however:

"Quag, Warboss Alex has never been in support of substituting the the back squat long term, it is the bread and butter."

This is why I said you didn't really read my post. I think I put forth the point quite strongly that the two should be used. The term I used was "dropped for a while" in relation to the front squat being used instead. But I then went on to say "If the back squat is giving you pain the front squat is a viable solution until you are able to fix the problems with the back squat." Also, if you have stalled on the back squat, then like Alex says the front squat is a viable alternative to get past the wall. At no point however did I say that you should drop them altogether or for a long time, say 6 months or more. And I did not say that this was Alex's opinion, on the contrary I know what you say to be true.

IF however you have a guy that will never hit ass to grass in the back squat because of his limb/torso ratio the front squat may be a long term alternative. Box squats and wide stance squats would also be useful in this case.

On the topic of growth it comes down to this: For optimum results the Front squat+Back squat will provide better overall stimulus than the back squat alone.

That is all.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
For my body type longer legs and long arms I found the Front Squat a more challenging lift and actually hurt my back on it...my wrist were sore for days and my back didn't get right for about two weeks...getting the form down is the challenge I have watched video after video each time say to myself hell that's easy I can do that... then I try it and have trouble getting my breathing and form down...

I have found those who are under 6 foot or shorter have an easier time doing them even shorter women can do them easier than someone taller and bigger. One of the reasons I lost respect and interest in Stronglifts.com whats his name over there? In one of his post tells one of the guys there whose trying to learn the Front Squat if a woman can do it so can he.. Belittling someone trying to learn a exercise and comparing isn't my way of encouraging someone to train..whats his name over there has the atittude that his 10 years experience in lifting weights makes him expert on everything in lifting..just got annoying to me..

I stick to coach Mark Rippetoe has over 30 years experience in strength training have posted questions with him on a couple accasions with questions important to my training and he makes you feel good about your efforts and fitness and doesn't try to belittle you..I also have spoken to Louie Simmons Westside Barbell where the masters of big weight movers reign both can be reached at Strengthmill.net

Anyway, my motto is if you want the best advice in strength training ask the best and to me Louie Simmons at Westside Barbell and Mark Rippetoe who is part of CrossFit.com you can't go wrong as it works for me it might work for you too...

LoneSilver

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just back squatted 285 lbs 4x10 to parallel today and it was great. I love the squats and have never had back problems with them. Proper form and my torso and leg length have kept me in check. I say that because I read your article on ppl's lengths causing them to round at the bottom to compensate.

My question is, do these front squats work the quads similarly to the quad extensions being as the extensions are excellent for the cycling that I do?

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
actually all you really need is the back squat for anything. Deep squats hit quads very well, parallel squats hit hamstrings very well, If you want more emphasis on quads but don't want to front squat, just do leg extensions.

all a front squat does is hit quads really hard, its ok for hamstrings but no where near what a heavy powerlifting back squat can do.
front squats are somewhat limited...back squats are limitless
All you need in this life is a back squat*

front squats are excellent exercises but you won't ever have to do them, especially if you do lunges and/or dumbbell front squats.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pay a visit to http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-crossfit.html
I believe you'll find the info comforting to your needs just have a look around and hit the forums.

LoneSilver

bmxcetera said:
I just back squatted 285 lbs 4x10 to parallel today and it was great. I love the squats and have never had back problems with them. Proper form and my torso and leg length have kept me in check. I say that because I read your article on ppl's lengths causing them to round at the bottom to compensate.

My question is, do these front squats work the quads similarly to the quad extensions being as the extensions are excellent for the cycling that I do?

BMX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wow, I never knew their discussion forum was that good LoneSilver, thanks. I enjoy their videos and the rosstraining ones as well.

Oh and I was doing the barbell lunges today, brutal enough to not have to do the front squat hehe. Not to mention I clipped the blinds and they fell to the ground!

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No problem keep up the good workouts...

LoneSilver:up: r

bmxcetera said:
wow, I never knew their discussion forum was that good LoneSilver, thanks. I enjoy their videos and the rosstraining ones as well.

Oh and I was doing the barbell lunges today, brutal enough to not have to do the front squat hehe. Not to mention I clipped the blinds and they fell to the ground!

Mad Manic

Banned
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
I train with a lot of top guys, one dose a 400 kg squat and one guy dose a 4x bodyweight deadlift. I was doing a lot of front squats because I hate back squats, they got me off them and sorted out my back squat and I'm very thankful.

And yes MM the gluts are the biggest muscle.

Sorry Quag I don't really have a strong argument for you. We agreed that back squats are the main lift anyway. How can I argue with an agreement? I still do front squats all the time, but they are no substitute for growth. Maybe the are better for sport specific purpose.
Top guys for what? If one does a 400 kg squat then that suggests powerlifting. Of course they'd advocate back squats, it's all they know and what they are comfortable with. Wide stance, barely parallel and good morning the weight up for low reps. I've seen the vids off youtube, and I'm never impressed no matter what weight is on the bar. It's about stimulating the muscle. I think your powerlifters don't like front squats because they encourage you to go deeper, with stricter form and you can't good morning the weight up. As for glutes, who ever cares about glutes?

It's about chest, arms, back, traps, shoulders, quads, hams, abs. Nobody has ever cared about glutes or calves for that matter.

MM

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Mad Manic said:
Top guys for what? If one does a 400 kg squat then that suggests powerlifting. Of course they'd advocate back squats, it's all they know and what they are comfortable with. Wide stance, barely parallel and good morning the weight up for low reps. I've seen the vids off youtube, and I'm never impressed no matter what weight is on the bar. It's about stimulating the muscle. I think your powerlifters don't like front squats because they encourage you to go deeper, with stricter form and you can't good morning the weight up. As for glutes, who ever cares about glutes?

It's about chest, arms, back, traps, shoulders, quads, hams, abs. Nobody has ever cared about glutes or calves for that matter.

MM
He was a top bodybuilder and now holds powerlifting records, but never uses the wide sumo stance. He has the biggest most defined legs I have ever seen in real life. He always trains ATG and only goes to parallel in comps. All competitors in my gym also gets tested for drugs. Most of the guys don't even use protien powder. He was the guy who tort me front squats, as I said, I still do front squats but this thread is about the OP wanting to substitute back for front. Most of your squats should be back squats if you are training for size.