"Friends" debate

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm one of those people who gives a chance for friends to become more, but I definitely think it's a small percentage that seems to think that way. I think that the media sometimes plays a role in this because girl see these puppy-love or whatever movies and they take those ideas and incorporate them in their actual lives. Most of these movies involve a girl and a guy with sexual tension and both are friends and don't want to act on it because they don't want to spoil the relationship.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM: people look so far into the future that they're actually thinking about what might happen if they break up with a friend rather than just living in the present. The issue is always "I don't want to lose a good friendship".

My question is, why is this even something to consider unless you two were not meant to be with each other in the first place?? The whole "I don't want to lose a good friendship" is a total cop-out facade that can be translated into "I'm not attracted to you". It's more ambiguous, let-them-off easy chicken sh*t. Bottom line is, if I were great friends with a girl, I'm not risking anything except possibly passing up a girl that I could be with for the rest of my life. It's absurd to even consider the possibility that you two will break up in the future, because that's a given risk in ANY relationship, and you just have to suck it up if it happens. Chances are in your favor though that it won't happen if you two get along so well. I guess I just hate all the beating around the bush stuff by two people who are friends and are attracted to one another, just because other people say that it doesn't work that way. There's problems with this way of going about your life.

Now, the flip side, this isn't a good move if the girl doesn't like you, in which case, I can see that you're up sh*t creek, because your feelings are not reciprocated, and if she gives you the "I don't want to lose a good friendship" bullcrap, then basically she's saying that there's no attraction from her part.

Bottom line is that if you have a friend who is a girl and you feel that both of you want more out of the relationship, I'd say go ahead and try to move it to the next level, and forget about all this "fear of losing a friend" crap. It's just way too speculative whether anything bad will come of it, and you can bust your brains thinking about it, when you could just be enjoying living your life in the present. If that's going to hold you back, I'd say just go crawl into a hole and live your life out as a hermit, because one of the most important characteristics of a mate would have to be that they are your best friend.

Enduro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Good point. I wrote about breaking through the friendzone in my journal yesterday on the tips forum.

What a coincidence!

You're stealing my thunder bro.

jk

ZeeOwl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I totally agree with you man. The "I don't want to lose a friend" is BS hypocritical crap. My ex-wife and I were friends for 2 years before we starting dating. The attraction wasn't there in the beginning (at least not consciously), but it developed over time. Obviously we ended up splitting, but it was the longest term relationship I've had so far (11 years, not counting the friendship), the first 8 of which were great. So if the feelings are mutually there, I say go for it. It's the most complete, balanced type of relationship possible. And probably the most stable.

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great to hear from you guys, and I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in this thinking. I've always thought this way and from my past posts, I've been selling this theory, but it's not easy all the time to put it in words that are clear.

It just seems to make sense to me that this would work.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Iagree with you but there are different types of friend zones.

1.) The "ljbf" friend zone- when a woman specifically has told that she wants nothing more than friends. Your chances of scoring out of this are about zero.

2.) The casual aquantance friend zone- This is used on girls your attracted to but the window of oppurtunity isn't currently present. She may have a boyfriend or whatever.

3.) The "AFC" friendzone- This is when a guy becomes friends with a girl with the specific objective of becoming her boyfriend. He supplicates to her, takes her out to dinner and such without ever making a move.

4) The "queen bee" friend zone- This is when a chick has lots of guy friends ans just uses them to get attention, money, etc.

Of these only number 2 will give you the best shot with a girl.

Enduro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dust 2 Dust
Iagree with you but there are different types of friend zones.

1.) The "ljbf" friend zone- when a woman specifically has told that she wants nothing more than friends. Your chances of scoring out of this are about zero.

2.) The casual aquantance friend zone- This is used on girls your attracted to but the window of oppurtunity isn't currently present. She may have a boyfriend or whatever. Chances of this working.

3.) The "AFC" friendzone- This is when a guy becomes friends with a girl with the specific objective of becoming her boyfriend. He supplicates to her, takes her out to dinner and such without ever making a move.

4) The "queen bee" friend zone- This is when a chick has lots of guy friends ans just uses them to get attention, money, etc.

Of these only number 2 will give you the best shot with a girl.
I disagree. You have a good chance with any one of those girls, it all depends on how you play the game.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of the most complicated issues on this site

The whole friendship zone thing is really, really tough. The only thing I can say is balance: don't over-romance and no friends it; and don't over friends it.

I used to start off on the romance end, had a few intense flings (some of that was fun!) but they always flamed out because like a bad house, there was no foundation: i.e., friendship.

So then I started (and now unfortunately I'm doing this) being the friends first thing, and now that's how a lot of women see me. Sometimes I get the wake-up call from the woman, "Oh, now I get it, he likes me," however, it's really brutal to go down this path too far. You have to add romance, flirting, and other good stuff to get on your way.

We've all been fed a load of crap from Hollywood that people who are chums end up marrying. That's about 5 out of 50 couples. On the flip side, every single one of my friends who married for lust and romance are either now divorced or wished they were divorced, and they all wished they were better friends first, or they had met someone who is a better friend.

It's a balancing act and if someone's figured it out, please tell me!

quicksilver

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am presently doing an experiment with a friend to see what happens. here is a little background info.
I had made out with this girl a few times but she is friends with my GF so nothing ever really happened then 1 night she actually asked me to do her at a party when my GF was downstairs!! when I said no the next day she said she was joking and was just testing me and she just wanted to be friends. and I said yeah thats why you were grabbing my junk. anyway I tried to score with her after that and we got naked a few times but she would always make me stop. so I got tired of all this hot and cold bullshiat and
I told her last weekend I didn't want to be her friend anymore.
I was tired of playing games where nobody wins.

She sounded hurt and I will probably run into her tonight so it should be interesting.

the best part is... it wasn't more than a few hours after I told her this that a little HB was giving me a BJ so I guess you could say I'm over her.

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by GigaloDJ
You're one post away from master DJ! haha congrats.
Swwweet! I have earned my wings, time to fly!

Dust 2 Dust, nice, simple categories, and I agree, that #2 is the best chance. I'm definitely in that zone with a girl right now. I tend to like the tension involved in that one; it seems to create chemistry. The rest of the categories just plain suck to be in. I've luckily never been in #1 before, but I've seen it happen, and it's definitely not a good sight seeing what some of my friends have turned into...

Enduro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: One of the most complicated issues on this site

Originally posted by WestCoaster
The whole friendship zone thing is really, really tough. The only thing I can say is balance: don't over-romance and no friends it; and don't over friends it.

I used to start off on the romance end, had a few intense flings (some of that was fun!) but they always flamed out because like a bad house, there was no foundation: i.e., friendship.

So then I started (and now unfortunately I'm doing this) being the friends first thing, and now that's how a lot of women see me. Sometimes I get the wake-up call from the woman, "Oh, now I get it, he likes me," however, it's really brutal to go down this path too far. You have to add romance, flirting, and other good stuff to get on your way.

We've all been fed a load of crap from Hollywood that people who are chums end up marrying. That's about 5 out of 50 couples. On the flip side, every single one of my friends who married for lust and romance are either now divorced or wished they were divorced, and they all wished they were better friends first, or they had met someone who is a better friend.

Read my journal in the tips forum...

THA REALNESS

Banned
Reaction score
Double standard

There is a double standard in the whole LJBF thing .

When a woman does it she's being a ditz or a tease .Guys do it all the time ,with out saying that line ,it's called:

" Keeping a Girl on Ice"

We find a girl we're into and has GF written all over her,then BOOM! our interst level crashes. We keep her on the side as we paint the town red with our buddies and look for the ONS and then come home and call the "FREIND" when we are in the mood to cuddle.

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: One of the most complicated issues on this site

Originally posted by WestCoaster

Personally, I can't imagine marrying a girl who I can't be friends with. You're talking about spending the rest of your life with her, so I guess it would be beneficial to have as much in common as possible, that way you don't get pushed apart because of conflicting interests.

For example, if I was not the type who likes to go out and party and instead, enjoy a nice night at home with just the two of us, then it is unlikely that I will marry a party girl because she'll want to do one thing and I'll want to do another, and I'm sure it will lead to arguments.

Another thing is that it's probably important to weigh the situations here. On one hand, you're looking at a girl who is a friend, and having to break through the friend barrier, and on the other hand, you're looking at a girl who isn't a friend, and you're involved with but the relationship is missing the "friend" component. The issue becomes whether it's easier to break throught the "friends" barrier or to make someone into a friend when your interests conflict? To me, it's much easier to turn a friendship into something more than to make a romantic interest like the things you do. I remember my last GF (with whom I had almost nothing in common with) trying to get me to like the stuff she did (music, hobbies, etc.). It was like pulling teeth. We all like what we like, and trying to get ourselves to like something that we don't isn't easy. Say a girl likes going to museums and you aren't into it. Sure, you can go with her, and suck it up, but is it worth it to be bored out of your skull? I guess you can give it a chance, but to me, it's more work than just waiting until you find someone you're really clicking with.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Torn, I can't find the link

TV, I did a search and went to the tips site and can't find your post on this topic. Could you steer me in the right direction? Thanks.