"She Liked You in March. It's October Now."

Attraction runs on a clock.

She flirted for weeks. Touched your arm. Found reasons to be alone with you. And you were careful. Respectful. Waiting for the right moment.

The moment had a shelf life. It expired around month two, and by the time you asked her out, she'd quietly filed you under "little brother."

One of the hardest lessons inside the 22 Rules: women rarely wait. Interest either grows or it decays, and nothing decays it faster than a man who never moves.

Make the move while she's still inventing reasons to be near you.

Read more...

Friend keeps bringing up a girl I used to date

evansblue

Banned
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
221
Reaction score
59
Now, my friend is married. But he's always talking about this girl I used to date in front of me around other co-workers. She hangs out with his wife, but it seems like he wants me to hear him talking about her. The new guy she's dating, how the boyfriend went over to their parents house to have dinner, etc.

Why is he doing this? I don't need to know all that stuff. I don't say anything to him, because I think that will give him the reaction he's after.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

evansblue

Banned
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
221
Reaction score
59
But saying that gives him the control and makes me seem too sensitive.
 

Serenity

Moderator
Joined
Aug 19, 2013
Messages
5,149
Reaction score
5,055
Age
35
Location
Eye of the storm
But saying that gives him the control and makes me seem too sensitive.
Does it? Seems like he already has some influence over you in that you keep yourself from speaking your mind about it to him.

To confront or not confront is not what will make you come off as too sensitive or not. The manner in which you confront him is what matters. So obviously don't blow up at the guy, be polite and not particularly emotional about it. If you know he's doing it to annoy you then tell him to stop, if you're in doubt you can fish for indications by asking him why he's always talking about her.
 

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 24, 2010
Messages
2,153
Reaction score
3,796
Wive's love to hear about their husbands previous romances. And I'm sure the husband (your friend) would love to be present when you bring this up.

"hey, speaking of exes, what was the name of that girl that you almost married... and why did she turn you down?"

Call it intuition, but if you do the above a couple of times, I'm thinking that the talk about your ex might stop.
 

Tilex

Master Don Juan
Joined
Apr 12, 2018
Messages
898
Reaction score
1,029
What's wrong with telling him to f*ck off?
He's a man, not a woman. He won't be so sensitive about it if you check him for crossing the wrong boundaries.
Tell him you can't stand that evil little c*nt and he needs to quit talking about her.
 

"I just moved here from Florida."

That sentence contains at least five follow-up questions she WANTS you to ask. Where in Florida? What brought you here? How long have you been in the area? What do you miss? How does it compare to here?

She handed them to you on a silver platter. And you said, "Oh cool. I come here every week. I love this band. Ummm... pretty crowded tonight."

She smiled politely. Nodded. And never texted you back.

I was that guy for years. Talking too much. Listening too little. Panicking about my next sentence while she was literally feeding me the answers.

Then I found 22 rules that fixed the whole thing. Rule number one: shut up and listen. She'll tell you exactly what to say.

Read more...

GreatHornedOwl

Senior Don Juan
Joined
May 11, 2010
Messages
382
Reaction score
313
Age
43
I think you were right on the money. He's looking to get a rise out of you. He's trying to manipulate your emotions to get you to react a certain way. Why give him that power? No matter how you address him, he wins. What makes him powerless is your stoical nonresponse. Don't give him the satisfaction by acknowledging that it bugs you.
 

logicallefty

Moderator
Joined
Apr 26, 2006
Messages
6,000
Reaction score
5,151
Age
52
Location
Northeast Florida, USA
I think you were right on the money. He's looking to get a rise out of you. He's trying to manipulate your emotions to get you to react a certain way. Why give him that power? No matter how you address him, he wins. What makes him powerless is your stoical nonresponse. Don't give him the satisfaction by acknowledging that it bugs you.
This^ Not a lot of options to respond to a friend like this. You could say something like this in front of his wife “You sure talk about MyEX a lot. I haven’t talked to her in ages but I could contact her for you and tell her your interested. Maybe you, MyEX, and YourWife should have a threesome. You guys would have a blast!“
 
Top