"You Can't Argue a Woman Into Liking You"

You made your case like a lawyer. Stable job. Good guy. Ready for something real. All true. All irrelevant.

She weighed your points, nodded along, felt nothing — then fell hard for some tattooed bartender with a motorcycle and a gambling problem.

Logic is where attraction goes to die. The "22 Rules" work a level deeper, on the subconscious switches that decide within minutes whether you register as a MAN or as part of the furniture.

Stop presenting evidence. Start flipping switches.

Read more...

Freedom of the Don Juan

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 1, 2003
Messages
699
Reaction score
1
Age
39
Location
SE England/ York
' All around us there is a secret society of smugness, a union of people, men and women, parents, businessmen, of all nationalities, who "get life". '

I love computer games. I'm not very good at them, but I think they're great. Perhaps this isn't very "Don Juan" of me, but hey, maybe I'm not a Don Juan then.

Computer games, all of them, are interactive environments, of varying complexity. Space invaders: an interactive environment in which (what now looks like) you're under constant attack by an eternal army of crabs. Recently they've brought out a game where the object is to get two room mates to fall in love and screw each other. If you add the possibility of pubic lice into the second it sounds un-nervingly like the first. Creepy how life goes round in circles now and then.

Sure, when computer games are an escape from reality, when they are the only interuption between your wanking-sock sessions I can see a problem. But creating them is like creating a little bit of the biggest "interactive environment" there is, the world. I was giving a game called "Black & White" a quick spin yesterday, if you are not familiar with it you're a god, and you've got two consciences, and you can be good or evil, and blah blah blah...

You start off, and the little evil nipple-pierced naughty conscience is telling you to become evil. The fluffy, bearded old good conscience wants you to be good. Christ, the game starts off like a ****ing anxiety attack for the ethically uncertain! You are being yelled at, by fictional characters: FICTIONAL CHARACTERS about the ethical policy you are intent to act on whence the game continues! I'd just been for a ****ing X-ray and I wanted some chilling out time where I get to see pretty pictures move about! The moral inquisition I recieved was not what I was looking for at that point in my life.

Thing is, the freedom of choice is a suprisingly easy thing to deny someone. You do it, you deny people this freedom. When you argue for something, when you aim to convince someone that they should think, that they should do what you wish them to, whether that is what you think or not, whether that is what you do or not. Hell, it happens on this site: everytime you tell a newbie AFC to get off his arse and achieve you are, to an extent, destroying his freedom to make a free and unbiased choice.

We are bombarded with facts, opinions, suggestions, help, ideas, orders- christ, it's not just those who are easily persuaded that are denied this freedom. Of course, whether the denial of this freedom is good or evil, black or white is up in the air. Still, doesn't get rid of the issue...

Let me revisit an old story.

" A fisherman sits by a riverside, his line dipped into the water. A businessman comes up to him, sits down, opens up his laptop, and starts typing away.

The two start talking, and the businessman inquires about the other's life.

"Everyday, I come down here and fish. I catch two fish, one for my wife, and one for me."
"Why don't you catch more?" puzzled the businessman,
"I only need two fish, one for me and one for my wife"

The businessman explained to the man, that were he to catch more fish, he could sell them at market and buy a fishing boat.

The fisherman continued he defiance "I only need two fish".

The businessman, clearly seeing that the fisherman didn't get this concept, progressed his arguement. "With a fishing boat," he said "you can catch even more fish, and make money!".

"I only need two fish" was the inevitable reply.

The businessman waited for a moment, then forcefully spoke "With money, you can start your own business! You will never have to work again, you can grow old and retire happily with you wife to a little house by the river where all you have to do all day is..."

The businessman whent a very ill shade of pale, and was still at the riverside, laptop secured in his lap, as the fisherman pulled his second fish of the day from the river and walked off home."


At first, reading this story, I thought it was stupid. The fisherman had accomplished nothing with his life, and so the whole tale was total ****. Now I get it. It is ****ing hard to keep your head above all the trends, and advice, and confusion that other people impose on you. The senseless harem scarem of what is cool and what isn't. Narrowing advice given by other people about your life, what you can and should decide for yourself.

Good advice is a very rare thing. Something instantly recogniseable and universally cherished.

So, what happened in my little "interactive environment"? I told them both to **** off and I played the game how I wanted to play it. A great achievement? No, not unless you're wierd, but it illustates the point quite well. Do what you want to do, it's harder than you think sometimes, and it may seem wrong to other people, but do it. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have been playing that game, and I wouldn't have thought about this (Woh, that's another creepy little circle of life moment right there). The freedom of choice is definetly one of those things that separates those who "get life" from those that don't.

"Getting life" isn't about understanding what the reasons behind doing what other people think is best for you. What you chose to do may not be the best thing, it may not be the most informed, but at least it'll be yours! Get a little bit of impulse into your life, act on the moment, impulsive people are fun and sexy.
"Be like the fishing rod, not like the lap top"

Hell I don't know, it just has a nice ring to it ;)
 
Last edited:

"She Wants a Man, Not a Boy"

You asked her if she wanted to grab coffee. Then you asked if the time worked. Then you asked if the place was okay. Then you asked if she'd prefer tea.

Four questions. Four chances for her to say no. Four signals that you're terrified of making a decision.

Plan it. Pick the place. Pick the time. Tell her where to meet you. She'll either show up or she won't.

Either way, you look like a man instead of a scared little boy.

Read more...

Wonderbread166

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Apr 8, 2004
Messages
235
Reaction score
1
Location
NY
Freedom. Almost all of us think we have it, most of us never will. Those video games are designed to let the gamer do whatever they want and live how they want to live. What an irony. We are so trapped within our own social boundaries that we have to design false realities to provide the illusion of freedom. I remember I used to play games like this and think, God, if I could just be free to do whatever I wanted like this in real life. The games are not real, and therefore, there is no one's opinion to worry about, so we can be free to make our own decisions and be ourselves. We don't have to worry about what others will think about our decisions, and since this is what gives us a feeling of freedom, we can safely conclude that our concern about what other people think about us is what denies us our basic freedom to live. Unfortunately, it is a very rare person who does embrace life and live it as though it were just a game. Let me tell you, the real thing offers a lot more freedom than the simulations- if you can only see it.

WondaBread
 

Biphoria

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 1, 2003
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Even in the game, other people judge you be it computer controled opinions or other humans telling you why they play good and you should too. I play how I want to play. I want to be good but I also want to make those cute villagers suffer. So I do good unto mine and evil unto others!

Haha.. I realise now how funny it is how some people are severely limited by others...
 

JSH

Master Don Juan
Joined
Dec 20, 2003
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Location
London
to an extent everything that we do is controlled by others, that is the thing, do you believe everything comes down to free will or detiriministic. Sad to say, most in my opinion is detirministic.
 

Capi Crimini

Banned
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
855
Reaction score
0
Location
Hell
I didn't get your point. Then again I sorta stopped half way through once the story started. Though in the game Balck and White or whatever. Why would you be good?

Seriously...WHY. You have to live your whole life in this world being good... thats what society accepts. Good People. Nice People. At least for me I wuold have chosen bad without a sencond thought.
 

"I'm Not Looking for Anything Serious Right Now"

When a woman says it, guys hear a confession. A heads-up. A scheduling conflict.

Here's the translation: I don't feel anything. Right now. With you.

Watch what happens when a man triggers actual attraction. The busy career, the recent breakup, the "not in a place to date" — all of it evaporates instantly. The same woman who was guarding her freedom is suddenly free every night.

The "22 Rules" explain why. When the right switches flip, her timeline rearranges itself around you.

Read more...

Biphoria

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 1, 2003
Messages
88
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Capi Crimini
I didn't get your point. Then again I sorta stopped half way through once the story started.
Idiot.
 

Capi Crimini

Banned
Joined
Sep 1, 2003
Messages
855
Reaction score
0
Location
Hell
Okay I read the whole post now.

Thought the foreskin stuff really wasn't the best way to end it.

Umm good post. I agree. I posted something ealier trying to emphasize the same point. I think its really an important part of being a DJ. Being able to set yourself aside from what society wants and getting what you want.

-EDIT-
though I still would be evil
-EDIT-
 

Cloud-uk

Master Don Juan
Joined
Feb 1, 2003
Messages
699
Reaction score
1
Age
39
Location
SE England/ York
Yeah, I know, I've got rid of the end now. I don't know what that girl has done to me...

This post has, I feel, raised a very interesting point.

Wonderbread 166, yes! You've certainly got my idea. People get sucked into the games as they can do what they like in them with no repercussions. As a means of escape from the real world this is unhealthy, but it shows how we should be living life. My philosophy teacher told me that seeing the world as a big computer game, where nothing matters that much is an unhealthy viewpoint, that leads to solipsism (the view that we can only know about us, so other people may well not exist). Screw that. What in my life has proven to me, given me proof that what other people think matters? Sure, I don't think I'd deny their existence on the grounds that denying the existence of the external world isn't very productive, but **** off their opinions matter!

If we live and die and thats it, or we live and die and go to an afterlife, my point remains the same- people's opinions mean jack **** when it comes down to you! Even my own mother say's I have trouble taking other peoples advice- NEWSFLASH! That's because I can do things by myself for the best part, and I can get help IF I WANT IT! This is the distinction here, the invasive assault of advice, and the passive availability of advice.

Biphoria, in regards to computer games you've made a good point too. They've just evolved to the stage where the player has a choice as to how to act in the games, but also there is pressure on him to act in a certain way! Doesn't that seem hilarious to anyone else? The technology is alowing a greater sense of freedom, but it is also incorperating computer characters who hurl adive at you, as well as real world people telling you what to do! If it's like this with a ****ing computer game, think about real life!

Capi Crimini, when you say you play to be evil because you have to live life being good, you illustrate my point perfectly. Who says you have to be good?, and from a more semantic point of view, what the hell is good? If you want to be evil in the game why not be evil outside it?

Why play good? Because I prefer the visual art caused by doing "good" actions in the game. I don't play video games for fun so much, more from an artistic point of view. I am a visual artist at heart, and to me a computer game is an expression of someone elses ideas and skill through a medium. ****, I think black and white deserves to be up in some sort of gallery, it is quite spectacular in parts. But of course like you can get absorbed into a painting, a game is a mere reflection in a dirty mirror of the genuine article that is life. No painting or video game will give you head. Point.

Do I have totall freedom in my life? I doubt it. I'm sure I still have a care for what others think, when the only thing I shold ever care about concerning other people, at the very most, is what they know. I'm studying to be a psychologist, and I've come to question why I'm doing this. Is it because of advice that has torn away my freedom, the persecution of myself by hundreds of "do this"es and "do that"s? Can I justify this course of life on the grounds of myself? Tricky one that...
 
Top