Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

FR: I let her body language beat me, how to turn things around?

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Went on a date with a chick from the internet yesterday, first date I've been on with someone from online actually, and was interesting, really hammered home how key body language and non-verbal signals really are.

well, it started a couple of weeks ago when she saw my profile and sent me a message, she had no photo but her message was pretty cool and she was 22 (I'm 25) so I thought I'd give her a shot, over the course of about a week or we exchanged 1 or 2 emails, hers were really really long, I did a word count on one of them it was over 1000, but she kept them interesting and we had alot in common, and she seemed really interested, she was asking me loads of questions, and there was a little bit of mild flirting, but nothing sexual. I realised though that replying to her emails was taking way too long and was getting pissed off with the amount of time it took me, so I sent her a reply listing all the stuff we were now chatting about, said I was busy and didn't have that much time to send long emails so how about we do things the old fashioned way and meet up next week. She replied the next day agreeing to meet and attached a photo, her face was partly obscured by a hat (hence why it wasn't on the site) but it was enough to see that she wasn't a complete ugo or fat. She still had plenty of rambling stuff in her mail though, exchanged a couple more mails before we actually met, talking about our weekends and other general small talk and planning tuesday.

So, I got to the bar early, when she walked in I was pretty pleased, she was actually pretty good looking, a bit like an uglier version of summer from the OC but obviously still nice looking. So after a minute or two I'd decided I really liked her and I realised that my body language was demonstrating this, I was smiling alot, making lots of eye contact, very open posture etc. She on the other hand was showing very defensive body language, arms crossed alot of the time, not as much eye contact and sometimes sitting with her body angled side on to the table rather than directly facing me.. The evening went pretty well though, we got on really well and had alot in common and to talk about and there weren't any uncomfortable silences, but I wasn't getting any signals at all, so there wasn't really any flirting. I may have made the mistake of talking too much, but alot of the time she was turning the conversation back onto me alot anyway.

After just over 3 hours (by which time we'd gone to a restaurant) we'd finished our meal and she said she thought she'd better go home, I thought it was fair enough, it was 10, a tuesday, we were both reasonably drunk, and she had a cold plus xmas stuff to go to with work later in the week.

By now I was aware that I wasn't gonna get anywhere but I wanted to stay in touch ideally as she had hot friends and went out to similar places that I did. So when we left she was saying how it was nice to meet me etc. I said something like, even if nothing does happen its always cool to meet someone new and have a nice evening out (trying to demonstrate that I understood she didn't fancy me, I was ok with that, but it'd be nice to stay friends) and said we should stay in touch.. She said "yeah, we don't live too far from each other after all" and her last words to me were, "email me".. However maybe its just me being paranoid and insecure, but it had the ring of stuff she was just reeling off to be polite to it.

Well I did, on wednesday night, just a bit of general chit chat and saying I'd really enjoyed myself, it'd be cool to meet again, and I'd let her know next time I was out in our local area with my friends. No reply yet, so I guess she's not that bothered about being friends with me either, well not to worry, NEXT.

Anyway, my conclusion is that yes, we'd got on really well, but when she'd seen me I'd not been what she was hoping for from my photo (you can't see how skinny I am from it for example) so she'd decided she didn't really fancy me, I don't think it was my personality since we'd got on so well over email, got on well during the date and her body language was cold almost from the moment she sat down. The question is, is there anything I really could have done during the date to try and turn it around or are we doomed if a woman looks at you and thinks "no, not my type, I wouldn't want to sleep with him".. It just ruined my game, I concluded from her body language that she wasn't interested in me sexually at all so it totally put me off trying to make her more interested... I just chatted to her like I would a good mate.

Of course maybe I got it all completely wrong and she was just playing hard to get or waiting to see, in which case the fact I didn't really try and flirt with her or try any kino was a mistake.. I don't think so though, she'd have replied to my email by now if she was at all interested I guess she was imagining something else from my photo. Tts just annoying because I really liked her and she wasn't bad looking either, still not much I can do about it now, must remember, no pedestal usage and NEXT.

eLMac

Banned
Reaction score
Dude, TD RSD is your only salvation. You don't want to submit yourself to chode-ville, now do you?

Qmanchoo

Don Juan
Reaction score
If a girl is doing something I don't like, and as a result I'm not having a good time, I'll call her on it. If she doesn't stop doing it then why should I continue the date? It's only going to piss me off.

You didn't step up to the plate and do what you should have in my opinion.

Ask the hard questions next time... and do it for your own piece of mind!

"I'm not going to bite you hun, if you clam up anymore you're going to fall off the edge of your chair... if you feel uncomfortable or don't want to be here I wont be insulted if you want to leave."

And I'd just say that matter-o-factly.

I had a girl I knew online for over a year and a half and went out on a date with her once for the hell of it. Her body language was closed off a cold eventhough we'd had some pretty kinky phone sex (rofl I think it's retarded but it was amusing) and she should have been comfortable - Later on when I asked her whats up I found out that when I pulled into her driveway to pick her up all these thoughts and stories from the past of "Girl going out on date with guy from internet and getting raped and killed" jumped into he head (rofl) and she got scared. That and she said she was a little intimidated by me and needed time to open up.

Well, I called her on it and that's why I found out why she did it. She also opened up more, we had a fun night, and it didn't end until 3am.

I mean, you don't have to be mean about it, just address her emotions and how she's feeling... for the non-party types that are not too outgoing or confident this is important and honestly helps you build trust with them.

However you still seem to be in approval-seeking mode rather than "Is this one even worth my time" mode. which is a bigger issue. You interpreted her body language as your problem and one that you created, not hers.

EDIT: So in sum, how do you know that didn't mean "Help me open up, I'm kinda shy and reserved" not "I don't like you"

?

Last edited:

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I feel for you....

Some of my most recent dates have went this direction too. It's a reality check for a lot of guys who are used to women falling in line.

I think you should stop looking at Body Language. None of my dates EVER went this direction until I started worrying about body language, mirroring, etc. On tonights date I am throwing all that garbage out the window where it belongs. I am going to be an attraction monster. I am going to avoid running on and on with fluff talk. I'm going to make my date talk no matter what it takes. I am going to extract the values she cares about and get those going.

My theory is to think attraction. Think humor, Avoid *anything* remotely serious or boring unless it's something she cares deeply about and it gets her in a positive mood. Finally, until I get out of this rut, I am going to end the evening before she does even though this is the exact opposite of what has always gotten me spectacular closes.

I suspect we are both going through the same thing. I don't think your looks are a factor unless your dress/hair is a problem

seanchai

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I moved to London I kept in touch with this shy girl I had met three or four times. We talked and emailed a lot and when I came back I met up with her. MOST AWKWARD EXPERIENCE! I think there must be a major disconnect between the deep rapport we had on the internet :)() and real life. But I plowed through it and got some HJs. I made her cheat on her BF too...

Point is, you have this rapport. If you were at all attractive to her on the internet, you just have to figure out a way to tap that, so she feels like she's known you forever. Then it's HJ city.

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think this is the most important line in my original post
I concluded from her body language that she wasn't interested in me sexually at all so it totally put me off trying to make her more interested
Coming to that conclusion so early was a mistake, and I shouldn't have done, she didn't seem like a shy or insecure girl at all, I think she was just waiting for me to prove myself.. her conversation was very open and she was asking me lots of questions, I was making the mistake of rambling too much, plus unfortunately one of the first things she asked me about was my job, which I'm not really feeling very positive about at the moment, I did tell her I didn't really wanna talk about it, but then I did and spouted off a load of negative crap which wasn't great.

I should have latched onto the things I was saying that was making her laugh (like I said we were getting on really well) and kept the conversation on them for longer.. and I wasn't doing enough to find out about HER, I just let her get me started on something I was interested in and then rattled on.. I never got her talking passionately about something she liked.

anyway the balls in her court now, and I can try not to fall into the same trap with the next girl I meet,

anyway, friday night, time to go try and meet some chicks in the real world.. and what is this TD RSD thing.. been away from here for a few months so maybe I missed the latest theories

everywomanshero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea....

Real Social Dynamics... I have not been to a seminar or field workshop yet, so I won't comment on it. since that would be both unfair and flagerant KBJing.

I think you should've said you have a security clearance job or non-disclosure agreement and cannot speak about it. Shows you are trustworthy to trust with important info as long as you don;t sound like a tryhard BSer.

Once I get started, I usually talk everyone's ear off. It's good to be talkitive, and I think I talk a little too much. Maybe the same is happening with you.

I commend you on getting in the field and actively working on this instead of being a machio KBJ who won't put his ego on the line instead reading articles. We are all seeing that reading articles alone teaches you nothing. Second, the only way to understand and remember these things is to make them a habit. And that takes alot of time & practice.

I hate "dating". I prefer just to bring them to my place to "hang out" or "watch a movie". Some chicks this is difficult to do until you meet at another venue first. We must master this venue. I want to be well rounded anyway, and understand all venues and how to make them work. This is academic now.

eLMac

Banned
Reaction score
Decircumcise. You will have increased feelings of sexual motivation.

MrNiceGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The rapport thing is true, I was expecting since we'd got on so well thru email that she'd not be so closed off when we met..

Last girl I was with was very open with me and would tell me how much she cared about me, enjoyed being with me and so on, while we were together. Need to remember they're not all the same, and with some you'll have to work harder.. anyway I've gotta stop stressing about it and move on.. Even if she is interested I won't hear from her till the new year anyway so there's nothing I can do anyway.

The trouble with me is untill I've met someone I like/trust a bit I'm not talkative at all, I'm far too quiet, then when someone shows a level of interest I talk too much.. I need to find the middle gound.