FR: 2 Approaches, Shaking off the Rust

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
FR: Approaches, Shaking off the Rust

I’ll keep this short. Basically, during summer school, there were barely any opportunities to do approaches and meet people. First day of school today, and it was packed. I feel like I’d fallen out of rhythm a bit, because I’d stopped approaching and stuff for a week or two. Just a bit rusty, but not by much.

I did two approaches today. Let me mention that on these approaches my main goal is to get to know girls and expand my social circle. Trying to close too early could be awkward especially having to run into the girl every day. So, I keep it friendly for the most part and just have fun. Besides, at school it’s different, because you get room numbers instead of phone numbers.

The dining hall is a great place to meet people, especially during the first few weeks of school, where it’s simply natural to meet new people. Anyway, this is something I did a lot of last semester, but I did last semester just for getting over my fears. Now, I do it because I love meeting people.

Approach #1

At a late lunch the dining hall was pretty empty. I get my food and head to the sitting area and just look around for girls. No lone targets, but I make eye contact with this cute black girl. I smile slightly, and so does she. She’s sitting with a guy and another girl. I opened with: “Hey, do you mind if I sit with y’all? I’d rather not sit by myself”

And I admit, I was rusty at first. I got a little nervous too for the first few minutes. But I shook it off and just relaxed by focusing on the conversation rather than what they or people around us thought. This is what happens when you’re rusty. But, I rebounded, and we just talked about basic school and fluff talk. We got pretty comfortable and I joked with the two girls quite a bit, and we laughed some together. Pretty good eye contact and stuff, and I ended up exchanging screen names with them, but they weren’t that into me and all. I’m not racist or anything like that, and I’ve dated a black chick before, but in general, I don’t click with black girls that well. It’s still cool though because I had a good time talking with them. And I think they the same, because they were like “you’re leaving already?” eh.

Approach #2

This one was much better. No more rustiness. Same dining hall deal, walked into a packed dining hall. I didn’t see any girls that were facing me, and the only available opportunity was two sitting back to me. I did a “hover” by walking around them and asking if I could sit down. I told them something like: “I don’t see anyone I know, so I’d rather not sit by myself.” They said “sure,” and it was on.

It just so happens we live in the same residence hall, and we had a bunch of other things in common. When I feel comfortable, I’m naturally ****y and joking around, I only think about how smooth I am afterwards. But, in retrospect, this approach was awesome. The girls were both cute, with the one in front of me being like an hb8. I initially purposely didn’t pay much attention to her, and it worked, she was talking her ****ing head off to me by the end. It’s like she wouldn’t shut up. I cracked a few jokes saying they were “like sisters” or “Siamese twins joined at the hip” because they did a lot of stuff together. And plenty of times they would burst out laughing and give each other that “look.”

Two other good signs are that the hb8’s phone went off, and she was like “that’s my phone,” and she just turned off the ringer and didn’t pick it up. Later on, I asked if they were leaving, and they said, “yeah, we were about to leave in a few minutes.” So, about 10-15 minutes go by, and they just sit there talking their heads of to me. We were laughing and vibing really well, like we’ve known each other forever.

I got their room number and screen names, they said I should go and visit them.

When I left, they left like a minute later, and they practically followed me. I cracked on them about it and they left. Haha, I’m good.

Also worth mentioning is how sweet it feels to have other guys staring at you because you got balls, and most of them don't. ;)

I have two tips: 1) don’t get names right off the bat, approach situationally, and the convo will go smoother off the bat; get names a few minutes into the convo…be like “btw, what are y’all’s names?” 2) also, don’t get contact info at the end, leave on a high note…get that stuff in the middle of the convo if you can

3) try to make that goal of meeting one or more new people a day

Last edited:

Smooth Player 056

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Very nice post...nice job with the dining hall approaches...keep it up. I also agree with your tips at the end such as "dont get names right off the bat", I usually wait a bit

- Smooth Player 056 -
Founder and Creator of the HSDJBC/ Contest
Creator of "The Smooth Player 056 HS Technique"

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Smooth Player 056
Very nice post...nice job with the dining hall approaches...keep it up. I also agree with your tips at the end such as "dont get names right off the bat", I usually wait a bit
hey thanks. yeah, i'm going to keep the momentum going.

it's especially nice that i don't have a roommate this semester, which means it will be easier to :woo:

Scoiland

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by h2o
hey thanks. yeah, i'm going to keep the momentum going.

it's especially nice that i don't have a roommate this semester, which means it will be easier to :woo:
nice

nishbuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Smooth Player 056
Interesting...I've never really tried that, but I can see why. I think I'll do that from now on.

h2o

Banned
Reaction score
I think I’m going to stretch this thread a bit and just do something like an approach journal. I think through my experience I can make some pointers for others to learn from my mistakes. Also, I hope to get feedback from the pickup gurus (y’all know who you are) for improving my game.

Approach #3

Again at the dining hall, I approached a 3 set. They were, I’d say, Hb6, Hb7, and Hb8. I walked around, “hovered,” made eye contact, and asked, “Hey, do you mind if I sit with y’all?”

They obliged. Now, I wouldn’t normally get nervous again, but I swear dudes at surrounding tables would stare, and I feel like the pressure is on…at least initially. These two guys sitting next to us were pretty much watching and commentating, and when the girls asked my name, they were like “h2o…what kind of name is that.” I mean, I guess I got a bit distracted, but to relax, I asked them more questions to get the attention off of myself.*

They asked me a few questions, and the Hb6 and Hb8 seemed more open to conversation than the one sitting across from me. It was a pretty balanced conversation, but they didn’t seem interested. They talked on their phones a lot, and I didn’t really like their personalities much. Nonetheless, we had some okay conversation, a few laughs, and the Hb8 could have been interested…but I doubt it. It was pretty much platonic for the most part, but I felt ignored a little by their constant phone calls, especially the other two.

I guess a three set is a bit of a challenge for me to approach alone. I only captivated all three of them a few times during the meal.

*One tip/pointer I have is that the way I relaxed, is by taking the attention off of myself and asking them questions. That way, you get focused on what they are saying, and the focus is not on you. I figured that on my own.

I also guess this approach was a bit different from last night when the girls talked their heads off, so I need to be aware of drastic differences in approaches, and be able to handle a “curve ball” so-to-speak.

Btw, I just left them to go to class and said I'll see them around. No point in getting numbers or anything.