Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Forget about that ole post-workout whey shake...here's an article to get you moving!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you can do 15 mins of active recovery after a workout then you sure as hell aren't training legs hard enough.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sorry, was referring to the first part of the article re active recovery postworkout. Didn't read it all that thoroughly, and I don't really need to. I've got issues with people who make out the pwo is the be-all and end-all.

Yes, it seems nice and scientific, and full of carbs per lb and those dreaded bulking/cutting terms, and I do know some people who take their pwo in phases as described there (they aren't particularly big by the way), but I disagree with making such a big thing of it. Chromium, Vit C etc have their merits but I don't believe in breaking down the pwo or anything like that.

Post-workout your body wants fast protein and carbs to begin the recovery process, give it those, gulp your shake down (mine is gone in about five seconds) and get on with the rest of the meals of the day. Pwo is EXTRA to take into account your workout, it doesn't replace one of your 6-8-10 (however many you have) meals of the day.

Physiologically it's a golden opportunity and yes, I myself take in plenty of liquid protein and carbs directly after a workout but the pwo shake isn't going to make or break me. The other five-six meals of the day are. Proper pwo is important and yes, my pwo shake is made up to be thick, sweet and tasty to make me forget the workout I've just been through (and also one of the few times I have yummy simple sugars, hehe) BUT if I took in a monster pwo shake and didn't eat properly throughout the day (and rest of the week) I wouldn't get anywhere (even with the most scientifically proven optimal combination of pwo protein, carbs, creatine, anti-oxidants, vitamins etc).

Look at it this way: assuming six meals a day, pwo is only 3 meals of the week. That's not gonna make the difference. The other 42 will.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I totally agree.

I take a whey protein shake right after working out. Then within an hour or so I usually consume a meal consisting of two boiled potatoes, some form of meat (steak, chicken, or salmon), a big cup of milk, and multivitamins.

I'm gong to buy some maltodextrin powder for my PWO shake. How much should I take in?

semag

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
go for a 75g/75 g split of dex/protein

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

I agree.

1. Get tons of carbs after working out. Personally, I'd rather have MORE than enough, and have to cut them off later, than not enough.

2. I've always aimed @ 100grams of Ultra Fuel by TwinLab. Fast juice downer right after the workout. Within 30 minutes, I chuck down a meal or whatever I feel like with protein, then normally, a lighter protein shake before bed.

3. Eating throughout the day matters more. Whenever I feel sore or feel my muscles aching, I keep eating. I don't real think anymore. For me, being so "precise" always loses itself in the complexity of the diet. If you're dieting down because you're OBESE, fine, that makes sense. But even then if you're large, cutting out a few things will help. It's only when you're nearing tight numbers or competition you'd have to count calories or avoid the small things, like too much salt (bloating), or the extras. When you're trying to gain, pizza isn't going to count as a meal, but certainly won't hurt as much either if you're not enough. Calories first, then composition of calories.

A-Unit

Rogerman

Don Juan
Reaction score
So what's the best and healthiest source of carbohydrates, to take it after a workout.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've reconstructed my PWO shake:

25 grams maltodextrin/25 grams dextrose
50 grams whey protein
creatine

All combined in a sh*t load of water.

Within about 45 minutes of consuming this I consume a meal of 2 potatoes, multivitamins, green tea, and a solid meat source (like beef, chicken, or fish), with some more water.

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After I get back from the gym, I inhale my Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey shake. Then about an hour later, I eat my dinner which consists of 2 chicken breasts and salad.

Its good to get some quick absorbing protein in you after a good workout.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Paintballguy
After I get back from the gym, I inhale my Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey shake. Then about an hour later, I eat my dinner which consists of 2 chicken breasts and salad.

Its good to get some quick absorbing protein in you after a good workout.
Did you read the article?

I think you should include some fast-acting carbs in both your PWO shake and your subsequent meal.

Get some maltodextrin/dextrose and put it in your PWO shake.

Then, add a couple skinned, boiled potatoes to your meal. Ditch the salad at this time...try to have NO fiber at this time because it slows down nutrient absorption. Also, down your multivitamins at this time.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
Then, add a couple skinned, boiled potatoes to your meal. Ditch the salad at this time...try to have NO fiber at this time because it slows down nutrient absorption. Also, down your multivitamins at this time.
I have veggies and/or fruit in every meal, including the post-workout meal (not shake). Sufficient fibre (and vitamin, mineral etc from veg) intake is imo more important than fast nutrient absorption (if you eat your protein first then the effect o cellulose on digestion will be minimal as regards amino extraction).

Paintballguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
Did you read the article?

I think you should include some fast-acting carbs in both your PWO shake and your subsequent meal.

Get some maltodextrin/dextrose and put it in your PWO shake.

I'll have to give it a shot..

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember fast-acting carbs in your pwo meal (not pwo shake) is dependent on the individual. If you're prone to storing bodyfat easily then you'd be better off with lower GI carbs like oats. If you're a skinny runt go for it, otherwise be a bit more thoughtful about your carb choices.

And if you're not training balls-out to put a demand on the body for growth then those fast carbs will just lead to adipose deposition.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

I recall when I was younger, I used to consume only 1 or 2 shakes, or avoid carbs almost entirely. I'd be overly infatuated by protein, but would tire quickly as there aren't tons of tasteful choices to consume throughout the day.

BLAND, healthy protein sources are normally the least tasteful, in a real sense. Cottage cheese v. fruit
Eggs v. whole wheat
Chicken v. carb veggies, etc.

That is until you learn you eat food BASED on what it has, not on what it is. Meaning the nutrients IT/THEY contain are what's most important. Eggs for the sake of eggs without ENOUGH other calories makes eggs or protein shakes just more calories.

And protein alone negates the other processes of the body. I'd give much props to DC and clearing up the guilt over eating to much. No person I've seen in a mag or otherwise ever easily added on muscle without fat. I'm not talking waiting 1 year for 10 lbs (Is that what you pay money for supps and spend 3+ hours a week in the gym for?)

Then, when you go to 'cut' there are many more "furnaces" to assist you in cutting down to a more reasonable weight.

I down a simple maltodextrose drink after working out (100g carbs). I've gotten stronger each week, and that after my workouts plus eating much more has enabled steady growth + increasing strength.

I'm talking too much...

A-Unit