For all of you WHEY fans out there!

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is whey REALLY the best thing for you?

Read a portion of the following article, written by Robert Thorburn, and posted as a main article on wannabebig.com. The specific URL of this article is

http://wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=110

Heres the portion that's probably of most interest to YOU:

"Whey vs. Casein

Now we’re prepared to discuss protein supplements. Whey and casein are the two major proteins in milk. Whey is frequently touted as the highest quality protein available for the bodybuilder or similarly-focused individual. Yet these claims appear to reflect a vast misinterpretation of the available scientific literature on the matter.

Absorption: Faster is Not Better!

When you eat a serving of whey protein, its digestion in your gut results in a very rapid, but short-lived, surge of amino acids into your bloodstream (Boirie et al., 1997). Casein, by comparison, yields a slower, more sustained release of amino acids (Boirie et al., 1997). Importantly, casein’s slower absorption profile seems to better promote a positive protein balance (Boirie et al., 1997) -an essential requirement for building bigger muscles.

Recall from above that one way of estimating your protein balance is by measuring your body’s balance of a particular amino acid, such as leucine. A positive leucine balance indicates a state (i.e., increased availability of leucine inside your muscle cells) that supports protein anabolism. Conversely, a negative leucine balance indicates conditions favoring protein catabolism.

Ironically, whey protein marketers have been known to cite the Boirie study (Boirie et al., 1997) as evidence with which to support whey’s ‘superiority’ as a muscle-building protein. Contrary to what their ads and articles (‘advertorials’) imply, however, Boirie et al. found that casein -not whey- produced the most positive leucine balance when fed to healthy young humans. In fact, whey actually produced a negative leucine balance.

The negative leucine balance associated with eating whey protein resulted from a greater loss of leucine, through its irreversible ‘burning’, or oxidation. Furthermore, when the subjects in the Boirie et al. study ate whey protein, more urea was formed than when they ate casein. Urea is a waste product of amino acid breakdown. Nitrogen from amino acid breakdown is irreversibly transferred to urea. Since urea cannot be reused, it represents a loss of nitrogen.

To sum it up, at least under the conditions of this study, casein demonstrated superior potential for promoting a positive protein balance as compared to whey -not the other way around. But even so, will this difference translate into faster gains in muscle size for you? Maybe. Maybe not. The answer must be determined by long-term, controlled clinical trials."

Templeton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting. Will read the full article a little later. Maybe whey immediately post workout then whey and casein 30-45 minutes later? Just thinking aloud.

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Casein is not better than whey. Whey is not better than casein. Casein is best when used in certain situations. Whey is best when used in certain situations.

Most people who know what they are talking about agree that whey should only be used 2 times during the day:

1) during the first meal
2) before, during, and immediately after a workout

Casein is a better choice at all other times.

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i use slow-release whey for my protein shakes that arent after workouts.

id like to think that it works but could jus be BS

it is the designer whey stuff, it tastes like sh!t

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Workerouter:

Your aversion to whey disturbs me. Why are you so afraid to just use it ? What's the point of posting a wholly inconclusive study? "Or didn't that "Maybe. Maybe not"... clue you in that the article was nothing but speculation?

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have any aversion to it; actually, I have tried it a few times...unfortuanetly I couldn't tolerate the taste except the chocolate flavored type that a friend let me use.

I just wanted to see what people had to say about the article. And yes, I agree, the article is based much on speculation.

Tiggis

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree no better.

Whey before and after workout..

Casein before bed and during the day if you choose..

No problemo