Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Five types of guys who stay single

Jon09

Reaction score
interesting article from yahoo

We all know this guy — or are this guy: in his 30s, affable, attractive, and yet he’s never been in a serious long-term relationship. And as his single status stretches into a third decade, one has to wonder: What’s the deal? Far from being undateable, this guy may simply not be ready to change his independent ways. Or, he may be all too willing to do so — but something’s blocking him. If you feel you may fall into the latter category (or know someone who does), stop worrying about what’s slowing you down and read on to learn about how five types of die-hard bachelors contribute to their perpetually single status and what steps to take to break the cycle.

The workaholic
For the guy who makes work priority number one, a relationship can seem like a hindrance for which he hasn’t the time or energy. It’s likely that he’s set lofty career goals for himself — perhaps finishing medical school, rising to make partner in his law firm or starting his own business — with personal deadlines (say, by age 35). Take it from Doug, 31, of Washington, D.C.: “My main focus is getting to a point in my career where I am stable and accomplished enough to move on to a job that I really want to do,” he says. “I can’t sacrifice or compromise my career path for anyone yet.”

Reality check: Waiting for the “right time” isn’t the solution, according to Ian Kerner, Ph.D., author of DSI: Date Scene Investigation. “This guy needs to understand that life doesn’t start when he schedules it,” Dr. Kerner points out. And it needn’t be a lonely climb to the top: rather than derail his career, a supportive mate could provide stability, encouragement and an attentive ear. And for the guy who is working to become husband material, consider this: 91 percent of women in a Match.com survey reported that they tend to fall in love with a moderately successful career person with a balanced life rather than a very successful workaholic.

The partier
For this guy, weekends in Vegas and hitting up the newest parties and clubs has too much appeal to entertain the possibility of settling down. Says self-described “committed bachelor” Sean, 30, of Brooklyn: “I go out to have a good time — mingle, dance, have fun — and not to meet someone.”

Reality check: As the Seans of the world mature, they may notice that their party-hearty peers are becoming fewer in number or that the average age of his social circle — and of his dates — remains constant as he ages. Another warning sign? More numbers in his cell phone for “friends with benefits” than those belonging to actual friends. The bottom line is, for all the fun of casual encounters and late nights out, a partier would do well to understand that a committed relationship has its own joys, too — even excitement and novelty. “These guys are adrenaline junkies, and they fear that a commitment to one person will be no fun,” says Dr. Kerner. “But really getting to know one person in a relationship can be a source of passion and adrenaline, too.”

The shy guy
It’s a fact: Meeting women requires conversation — which can be problematic for a shy guy and can stunt his relationship prospects. “I go out with the express purpose of meeting people, but I hardly ever screw up enough courage to talk to strangers,” admits Alex, 31, of Raleigh, NC. “Even if I do, I wuss out and leave before I get anywhere.”

Reality check: Rather than forcing social behavior in a high-stress situation, like at a loud nightclub, shy guys may be better off searching for potential mates who share the same affinities. “The shy guy doesn’t have to walk up to someone cold,” says Dr. Kerner. “Instead, he should put himself in situations that present opportunities for easy conversation.” Dr. Kerner suggests theater clubs, team sports or anything else with expectations for regular participation, like volunteering. Or, if you do start dating someone, suggest making it a double date or an activity date, thereby reducing the pressure of a one-on-one outing.

The too-picky guy
For all his many, many first dates, this guy is resolutely single, never having met anyone who quite fits his mold for the ideal mate. He is convinced that there is someone out there and is alternately determined to find The One or frustrated by his inability to do so. Says Andrew, 30, of Scarsdale, NY: “It’s impossible for me to compromise. I can’t settle for someone who doesn’t attract me physically, emotionally, intellectually and so on.” Compounding this inability to compromise is the belief that perfection in another personal really exists — a notion that could lend itself to fantasies of discovering love at first sight. “A guy with impossibly high standards may fall for someone, but then he’ll see this person’s flaws and imperfections and become disappointed,” says Dr. Kerner. Unfortunately, this can lead to discounting potentially great matches, as the picky guy may be unwilling to give a date with, say, a tendency to use emoticons in emails or “too short” hair a chance.

Reality check: What these guys need to accept is that no one’s perfect — and include themselves in that statement. And, in Dr. Kerner’s opinion, “There is no such thing as a soul mate,” he says. “Rather, it’s the journey of building a great relationship over time that leads to a ‘soul mate’-type of closeness.” So the next time you’re iffy about a girl, give her more of a chance before you write her off.

The none-of-the-above guy
Of course, there are guys who might not fall into (just) one of these categories, who are comfortable with themselves, outgoing and trying to meet someone to share their lives with — but for whom it just hasn’t happened yet. Guys like “chronically single” Greg, 30, of Boston, explains: “I’m ready to give my heart to someone and to do some hard work to find her, but I have yet to find that person.”

Reality check: Keeping adages such as “Love happens when you least expect it” in mind may not totally assuage feelings of “What the heck is going on here?” Suffice to say that this still-single guy is not alone — and won’t be for long if he keeps an open mind, gets active in organizations that provide opportunities to meet others and gives luck (or some effort) a chance to work. “Regardless of his circumstances, the important thing for a single guy in his 30s to do is to put himself in situations where he’s meeting women — whether it’s making time to join in activity groups, dating online or signing up for singles’ events,” says Dr. Kerner. So, single guy, keep your chin up and continue taking those leaps of faith into the dating pool. Sooner or later, you’ll find someone who sees you for the catch you truly are.

jafyk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, what type of single guy are you? Lol. I'm kidding you don't have to answer that. I guess this article goes to show that...esp #1 that people need balance and that no matter how successful a guy might be in pursuing his dreams a woman still needs for him to have time for her.

jafyk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, Jon what are your thoughts on the article?

Reaction score
What about me?

No.6 The introvert guy? lol

I Dont really like too hang with anybody too long guys,girls, gorups or individuals. I prefer a great deal off time alone. Furthermore in the presense of girls I am just horny or not interested. So, if I had a girl around it would really only be for sex/perving. So, I dont/cant see myself having/wanting a relationship.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm the workaholic and too picky guy.

I think it's been like this for over a year or so when I started to feel like staying at home over the weekends to work on my projects rather than going out. But maybe that's because i'm too picky I haven't had a serious relationship in years and I lose interest in women right after I bang them.

I think they go hand in hand. Being too picky leads me no choice but to be a workaholic. I wish I could spend time with a nice gal over the weekends rather than working (or going out with buddies) but I haven't found one worthy of a relationship for a long time.

JdelaSilviera

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
f283000 said:
I'm the workaholic and too picky guy.

I think it's been like this for over a year or so when I started to feel like staying at home over the weekends to work on my projects rather than going out. But maybe that's because i'm too picky I haven't had a serious relationship in years and I lose interest in women right after I bang them.

I think they go hand in hand. Being too picky leads me no choice but to be a workaholic. I wish I could spend time with a nice gal over the weekends rather than working (or going out with buddies) but I haven't found one worthy of a relationship for a long time.
Exactly, I´m also too picky. I´ve come to realize that men in general are way better than women, and that we are the prize. Men, have more brains, more good looks now you can call me gay on this, but there a lot more guys in shape than women, and most women without makeup are just little turtles with a flabby ass, I don´t know how can they still call the shots, men are also much more mentally balanced.

So yeah, we should been screening them, man in average, although very horny, are down to earth, smart and competent...

st_99

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I saw that article and the first thing I thought was, I am a little bit of everything on that list. Nothing groundbreaking or surprising. Its what I already knew when I ask myself "why am i still single?"

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LOL so where do I fit in?

I used to be the shy guy but I took my mask off a while ago :p

I think I'm #6, the guy women just aren't attracted to. Add that to the fact I really don't have a clue what I'm doing with women and I just can't lose...

RSanders219

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not a workaholic, shy, or too picky. I like to party definitely, but I would much rather spend a quiet relaxing evening with someone I really care about than going out to a night club or bar and drinking.

The only thing you could call picky in my search for a steady girlfriend is my requirement for them to not be a wh0re. Seems like a rarity nowadays :-/

SandHawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is it me or am I the only who thinks that Ian Kerner needs a reality check in the form of a b*tchslap?

The Workaholic needs to stop enjoying his work and settle for a b*tch because society demands it of him? What if he's happy with just working and being single?

The partier needs to stop going to parties and become a dull asswad because again, society demands that he follows what they demand from him. We party because we enjoy partying, not because we want to get laid. (I'm a partier).

The too-picky guy needs to lower his standards because low quality chicks need lovin' too? What nonsense is that! Would you settle for a sub-par steak if you know that the perfect steak is out there? I wouldn't unless it would be for a quick snack.

The none-of-the-above guy is there to make sure the article basically covers EVERY SINGLE guy out there. The "advice" given is pretty much so generic it's worthless.

And yes, I left the shy-guy out. I guess that's some decent advice.

jafyk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sandhawk do you just read and pick out only what you want to use in criticizing? The general idea is that you can't always eat your cake and have it. Being a workaholic doesn't leave room for a relationship. Relationships can be rewarding but now if you don't care for that sort of thing no one's putting a gun to your head. After all the partier is still getting his friends for benefits.

Zodiac

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SandHawk said:
Is it me or am I the only who thinks that Ian Kerner needs a reality check in the form of a b*tchslap?

The Workaholic needs to stop enjoying his work and settle for a b*tch because society demands it of him? What if he's happy with just working and being single?

The partier needs to stop going to parties and become a dull asswad because again, society demands that he follows what they demand from him. We party because we enjoy partying, not because we want to get laid. (I'm a partier).

The too-picky guy needs to lower his standards because low quality chicks need lovin' too? What nonsense is that! Would you settle for a sub-par steak if you know that the perfect steak is out there? I wouldn't unless it would be for a quick snack.

The none-of-the-above guy is there to make sure the article basically covers EVERY SINGLE guy out there. The "advice" given is pretty much so generic it's worthless.

And yes, I left the shy-guy out. I guess that's some decent advice.
Preach it Father Sandhawk. Preach us a sermon of DJ values. Seriously this article is nothing but crap. It just tells anyone that will listen to it that Men need to conform. I haven't read the source material but did a woman write this? A pu**y whipped man?

The_flying_dutchman

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
SandHawk said:
LOL, the dude probably got one of those online Ph.D's....

I agree, this is typical shaming tactics that society uses to convince us to fit a mold.

Tortendieb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't really see the need to squeeze yourself into a category? So now you're category XYZ, how does this help you?

SandHawk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jafyk said:
Sandhawk do you just read and pick out only what you want to use in criticizing? The general idea is that you can't always eat your cake and have it. Being a workaholic doesn't leave room for a relationship. Relationships can be rewarding but now if you don't care for that sort of thing no one's putting a gun to your head. After all the partier is still getting his friends for benefits.
No, I read it all. You apparently didn't read it as well as I did. The thing is: WHY should the workaholic get a relationship if he's happy being a single workaholic? As long as he doesn't crave for a relationship, there is nothing wrong with him.

I'm strongly opposed to the fact that society demands from me(or anyone else in that matter) that I adhere to some weird ass rules. I'm 28, and people think it's odd I'm single, enjoy partying quite a lot and that I don't have a 9/5 job because I run my own business and work whenever it suits me.

That article is exactly making that evident: Fit yourself in a category and we'll tell you what's wrong with you and how you're going to fix that(by finding a girlfriend). And that is what I am against, not the fact that people have relationships or want to be in one.

jafyk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SandHawk said:
No, I read it all. You apparently didn't read it as well as I did. The thing is: WHY should the workaholic get a relationship if he's happy being a single workaholic? As long as he doesn't crave for a relationship, there is nothing wrong with him.

I'm strongly opposed to the fact that society demands from me(or anyone else in that matter) that I adhere to some weird ass rules. I'm 28, and people think it's odd I'm single, enjoy partying quite a lot and that I don't have a 9/5 job because I run my own business and work whenever it suits me.

That article is exactly making that evident: Fit yourself in a category and we'll tell you what's wrong with you and how you're going to fix that(by finding a girlfriend). And that is what I am against, not the fact that people have relationships or want to be in one.

I believe the assumption of the writer is that the groups of people whom he has mentioned want to be in a serious relationship. He's pointing out what categories they fall into and why it's not working out. See, I cleared it up for you, lol. No need to thank me.

Jeffst1980

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're an "eligible" guy (read as: guy that easily attracts women), why on EARTH would you settle for anything less than perfect??

Yet another attempt to project the notion of a "biological clock" on men.

ArcBound

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
SandHawk said:

"Far from being undateable, this guy may simply not be ready to change his independent ways. Or, he may be all too willing to do so — but something’s blocking him. If you feel you may fall into the latter category (or know someone who does), stop worrying about what’s slowing you down and read on to learn about how five types of die-hard bachelors contribute to their perpetually single status and what steps to take to break the cycle. "

The author is not trying to fit you into the mold. He clearly states "Hey if you willing to sacrifice some of your independent ways in order to get a relationship, read on ahead I have something that can relax your fears. If not and you like being an indepent man running your own business and w/e thats cool too."

The author is just preaching advice to a specific subset of men who are in this specific subset of situation. If it doesn't apply to you then that's fine, but the article is not really demanding anything from you as you seem to think it is. It just simply doesn't apply to you.