Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Finally started lifting

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've put this off for way too long, trying to convince myself that looks didn't really matter, but I finally decided to get this aspect of my life under control. Pook's post "What every skinny guy should know" really opened my eyes, as did journals such as Lifeforce's.

This isn't the first time I've tried lifting, but this time I'm going to do it right. Before I just messed with machines, not really knowing what I was doing and not really changing my diet. Needless to say I didn't gain any weight.

My stats:
Height: about 6 ft.
Weight: 142 :eek:

Leg workout (this is what I did yesterday. Comments would be appreciated)
Squats:
10 reps of 95 lbs.
8 reps of 115 lbs.
8 reps of 115 lbs

Deadlifts:
10 reps of 95 lbs.
8 reps of 105 lbs.
8 reps of 105 lbs.

Straight-leg deadlifts:
10 reps of 105 lbs.
8 reps of 105 lbs.
8 reps of 105 lbs.

Standing calf raises:
10 reps of 100 lbs.
8 reps of 120 lbs
8 reps of 120 lbs.

Comments: I didn't really know what a good starting weight was (or how heavy the bar was by itself at first), so after the first set of each exercise I felt that I could raise the weight a bit. At the time it didn't feel that bad, but my legs and lower back are sore as hell today. Hopefully that's a good thing... I'm not sure if I did the deadlifts correctly, as I found it difficult to keep my back straight and not hit my knees with the bar. When I get used to this I will go with fewer reps with more weight.

As I said, I'd appreciate any comments. Also, could someone suggest a good starting upper body workout? I'm going to do that tomorrow and some input would be helpful. I want to keep it simple, just the major compound exercises first, and I'll add some isolation exercises once I get used to it.

Diet
I could use some help here too. I'm thinking something like this:

Meal 1 - breakfast:
- 2 bowl of raisin bran with milk
- fruit (probably apple or banana)
- possibly eggs (if the dining hall is serving them that day)
- glass of milk

comments: This should give me some good carbs, and some protein if there are eggs, but I may have to add a protein drink to get enough protein in this meal.

Meal 2 - between classes:
- Oatmeal with protein supplement
- maybe another piece of fruit
- can of tuna
- water

comments: carbs, protein... Not sure how well tuna's going to go with oatmeal o_o

Meal 3 - Lunch:
This will vary based on what the dining hall is serving. Estimate:
- some kind of meat
- some kind of pasta
- green beans/corn/some vegetable
- milk or water

comments: This one will vary from day to day in protein availability, but I can make up for it with protein supplement I suppose.

Meal 4 - between classes:
- can of tuna
- oatmeal with protein supplement
- water

Meal 5 - Dinner:
Same as Lunch

Meal 6 - evening:
- Peanut butter
- more tuna
- water or milk with protein supplement

As a college student without a car, my trips to the grocery store are fairly infrequent. This is what I have to work with now. A few questions:

1) What should be added to this?

2) Does it matter what kind of milk? (skim, 2%, or chocolate... I like chocolate :D )

3) Is fruit juice (like 100% apple juice) okay or too much sugar?

4) Is canned fruit okay, or too much sugar?

5) Is beef jerky a suitable source of protein or is it unhealthy?

6) Should I get a 100% whey protein supplement? Currently I have a "protein mix" that includes whey but has other kinds of protein and a bunch of vitamins and such.

7) Does oatmeal have to be plain or can it be flavored (i.e. Quaker Instant Oatmeal maple & brown sugar, cinnamon & spice, apples & cinnamon)?

I really want to do this right and get results, so any advice would be appreciated.

Lifeforce

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, deadlifts is not really a leg exercise, people usually call it back exercise. When you get your weights up you will pass out from doing both squats and deadlifts on the same day. Otherwise your leg day looks good, perhaps exchange the deadlift for some leg presses or sim.

1. I'd add some cottage cheese in the last meal because it has slow protein. Otherwise it looks fairly good. Green vegtables are better than others I have heard from many sources and don't overdo in the fruit department. What is raisin bran? Usually cereals and stuff like that is full of sugar and bad stuff. Maybe a little too much protein supplement.

2. I don't really know, the fat in milk is usually saturated and it's good if its low fat. Skim I do not know what it means.

3. Keep it at low levels, i drink a glass of juice a day.

4. I would not eat that, it doesn't feel like health food, I may be wrong.

5. I don't know what beef jerky is.

6. I haven't tried any other than 100% whey, maybe it's good, 100% whey works fantastic for me though.

7. Plain beats everything.

wildchild

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I would prolly avoid so much fruit :p it can decrease testosterone levels:)

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far.

2 Pieces of fruit is too much? What's a good alternative, then? I really don't like cottage cheese... :(

Raisin bran I think is relatively healthy as far as cereals go... Maybe I'm wrong... The only other potentially healthy cereal option I have is granola, maybe that would be better?

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Raisin bran = Bran flakes and Raisins. Very healthy, only sugar in it is from the raisins.

chim_chim

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sandwiches with deli meat and wheat bread are fairly healthy and easy to make.

Your diet looks really good right now; if you have a high metabolism you might be able to get away with eating some higher-fat stuff. Not McDonald's, but stuff like 2% milk and beef.

I'm not sure on the beef jerky, but doesn't that tend to be high in salt?

As far as being sore from squats and DLs, that is to be expected when you're just starting. After 3 or 4 weeks, you shouldn't get nearly as sore from them as you do know.

For an upper body workout, some good compound exercises are:

Bench Press
Dips
Barbell Rows
Pullups

What is your workout split right now?

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by chim_chim

I'm not sure on the beef jerky, but doesn't that tend to be high in salt?

Yes, very high.

Also high in protein though. I figured it out, eating jerky has more protein per G then my whey protein.

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
Beef jerky is indeed very high in salt. Nothing about bulking diet that I've read has really mentioned salt though, so I didn't know if that was an issue or not. I do know that it's very high in protein, and very tasty :D .

Maybe I'll pick up some sandwich supplies next time I'm at the store, too.

For an upper body workout, some good compound exercises are:

Bench Press
Dips
Barbell Rows
Pullups

What is your workout split right now?
Could you explain dips and barbell rows? I don't know what you mean by workout split exactly, but I figure I'll go 3 times a week and alternate legs and upper body. Something like that. Once again, if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate them--I don't really know what I'm doing yet.

Mm, thought of another question: what about alcohol? I am in college after all :rolleyes: . I'm talking just on weekends and in moderation, is that enough to be a problem?

Last edited:

phenom

Don Juan
Reaction score
Congratulations, Zoso. You will find that your hard work in the gym will pay off. It will take some time though but don't get discouraged. It will do wonders for your confidence and you will notice how much easier it will be to get laid and date many women.

I started lifting and doing cardio religiously back on New Years 2000 and the fall of 2000 through 2003 were some of the best years of my life. I was being approached by girls a lot and was pulling women without any effort. I wouldn't consider my game to be top notch: I am actually a little quiet and shy at times. But my physique made up for that.

There is nothing more gratifying in life than feeling good about yourself and that is what hard work in the gym will do. The first few weeks may be difficult as you will be sore and not in the mood but, the more you go, the more habit-forming it will become.

I am looking to get back into it after being lazy for the last 6 months.

chim_chim

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143006

Scroll down to the three-way split section. I'd recommend the intermediate routine, not the absolute begginer one. Starting out, cut a couple exercises out per day because:
1. Your muscles aren't used to the stress so you'll fatigue quickly.
2. You haven't done the exercises before so you need to get your form down which takes a little time.

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Also expect to see beginner gains too, once you start to get used to lifting.

KillingTime

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't need that many different types of foods, the basics will do. It doesn't matter if you like cottage cheese or not, just eat it... after a while you just get used to it. I eat the same simple stuff day in and day out... I don't think I like any of the stuff I eat (ex. Oatmeal with nothing but water, tastes like ass) but after a while you just learn to shut up and do it.

Here's what I think is a pretty good routine, you can mess around with it to your liking:

Chest/Triceps:
Incline Bench
Flat bench
Close Grip Bench
Dips

Back/Biceps:
Pull Ups
Deads
Rows
Dumbell Rows
Barbell Curls

Legs:
Squats
SLDL
Lunges
Calv Raises

Shoulders:
Military Presses
Dumbell Presses
Shrugs
Side Laterals

Keep reps/sets low, go heavy as possible with good form. The only reason for keeping the reps/sets low is b/c it allows you to add more weight, which along with a good diet is what puts on the mass.

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow, thanks to everyone for their responses.

I didn't make it to the gym yesterday, because I was still really sore and the guy I was gonna go with disappeared on me (he was gonna show me proper form and such to make sure I was doing it right). Also, the last couple nights have been... interesting (understatement), and I didn't get much sleep ;) . I'm a lot less sore today, though, so I'm gonna go this afternoon. I'll post the workout when I get back. I like Killing Time's routine, I'll probably go with something like that.

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, could someone explain what an "oblique grip" is?

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
It doesn't matter what an oblique grip is, because apparently the gym here doesn't have a dip bar... Kind of messed up my plans but next time I'll keep that in mind.

This is what I ended up doing:

Chest/triceps

Bench Press:
8 reps of 95 lbs.
6 reps of 105 lbs.
6 reps of 105 lbs.

Inclined Bench Press:
5 reps of 95 lbs.
6 reps of 85 lbs.
4 reps of 85 lbs.

Close-grip Bench Press:
4 reps of 85 lbs.
4 reps of 75 lbs.
4 reps of 75 lbs.

Comments: I should have done something else in place of dips, but I wasn't sure what. Didn't know what good starting weights would be, so it's kind of a trial and error thing. My right shoulder popped on pretty much every rep of the inclined bench press, and the left did a few times, so I was kind of worried that I was gonna hurt myself. Should I keep doing that or replace it with something else? I don't know if the popping was a big deal or not.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by KillingTime
You don't need that many different types of foods, the basics will do. It doesn't matter if you like cottage cheese or not, just eat it... after a while you just get used to it. I eat the same simple stuff day in and day out... I don't think I like any of the stuff I eat (ex. Oatmeal with nothing but water, tastes like ass) but after a while you just learn to shut up and do it.

Well said.

I had a big bowl of oats with just water this morning. Then I had some poached eggs and a hearty serving of cottage cheese. Does it taste great? Hell no! You gota shutup and eat it.

Here is a basic food list of stuff that'll make you grow:

Natural Peanut Butter
Whole Wheat Bread
Old Fashion Oatmeal
Raw Vegetables, Raw Fruit
Skim Mozarella Cheese
Meat: Tuna, Chicken, Beef...
Skim Milk
Yogurt
Brown Rice

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
Meant to work out again yesterday, but schoolwork proved more time consuming than I had thought it would be. Went today instead.

Back/Biceps

Deadlifts
10 x 95 lbs.
8 x 115 lbs.
6 x 125 lbs.

Barbell rows
8 x 95 lbs.
6 x 105 lbs
6 x 105 lbs.

Dumbell rows
8 x 30 lbs
6 x 35 lbs.
5 x 40 lbs.

Barbell curls
2 x 45 lbs. (seemed too light)
8 x 55 lbs.
6 x 55 lbs.
4 x 55 lbs.

Pullups
1.5 :D

I saved pullups for last because I was pretty sure I wasn't gonna be able to do them. I did manage to get almost two. I had done them before, incorrectly, keeping my arms bent the whole time. Straightening them completely between reps proved much more difficult... Hopefully soon I'll be able to do a few more.

As for food, I haven't stuck to the diet plan as strictly as I probably should have, mostly because I wake up at different times throughout the week and sometimes sleep through a meal or two. I'm gradually fixing the problem, though, as well as eliminating empty sugary things though so when I do it it's something like tuna, oatmeal, peanut butter, meat, fruit, or pasta. Drinking skim milk instead of chocolate, drinking more water.

One question I forgot to ask earlier: what about potatoes (if they aren't laden with butter and all that crap)? Are they a source of 'good' carbs? Someone mentioned raw vegetables- do steamed vegetables retain their value?

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
Finals have inhibited my intended progress, but I managed to lift again today.

Squats
8 x 115 lbs.
8 x 125 lbs.
6 x 125 lbs.

Straight-leg deadlifts
8 x 105 lbs.
8 x 115 lbs.
6 x 125 lbs.

Leg Press
10 x 140 lbs.
8 x 170 lbs.
6 x 185 lbs.

Calf raise
8 x 140 lbs.
8 x 150 lbs.
6 x 160 lbs.

Instead of doing a day for just shoulders I think I will combine shoulders with some other workout, probably chest/tris as the three-way split link suggested.

If anyone has noticed the lack of updates of my weight, it is because I don't have a scale. When I go home at the end of the week for Christmas break I will weigh myself and (hopefully) post at least a minor gain.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I'm working on tweaking my diet based on these suggestions.

Zoso

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just an update.

I am done with school for the year, and am home for about 3 weeks. I should now be able to focus completely on lifting regularly and making it a habit.

Current weight: 145 lbs. (+3 change)
Chest/Tris/Delts

Bench Press
8 x 105 lbs.
6 x 110 lbs.
6 x 110 lbs.

Close Grip Bench Press
6 x 85 lbs.
4 x 85 lbs.
5 x 75 lbs.

Incline Bench Press
8 x 85 lbs.
6 x 95 lbs.
4 x 95 lbs.

Dips (gym here does have a dip bar)
5 reps
4 reps

Shrugs
10 x 45 lbs.
8 x 50 lbs.
8 x 50 lbs.

Comments:
Couldn't manage any more dips than that, after having already tired out my muscles. Didn't know good starting weight for shrugs, it felt like I could have probably gone heavier.