figuring out ring size

steve12b

Don Juan
Reaction score
My gf likes wearing rings, but we live in different cities and I wont get a chance to measure her collection. Is there any way to estimate the size and how important is it to get it right? Anyone have any idea what the most common sizes are for women? She likes wider rings with big flat stones in them. Her hands are on the smaller side, about as long as a dollar bill from palm to fingertips.

NO, I’m not an AFC for spending $30-40 on a Christmas present she will love, except I might be one for not just asking her for the size and spoiling the surprise. I wish I had paid attention when she mentioned it a long time ago in casual conversation though.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
steve12b said:
My gf likes wearing rings, but we live in different cities and I wont get a chance to measure her collection. Is there any way to estimate the size and how important is it to get it right? Anyone have any idea what the most common sizes are for women? She likes wider rings with big flat stones in them. Her hands are on the smaller side, about as long as a dollar bill from palm to fingertips.

NO, I’m not an AFC for spending $30-40 on a Christmas present she will love, except I might be one for not just asking her for the size and spoiling the surprise. I wish I had paid attention when she mentioned it a long time ago in casual conversation though.
If you don't know what size she actually wears I wouldn't chance guessing about the size. Even though some places could resize it, she could want to wear it on any finger which are different sizes and who know if she wants one a little larger to compensate for that time of the month.

My suggestion is to give her a certificate saying that you will take her out ring shopping so that she could pick what she likes and determine the right size. Yeah she'll know how much you spent but that's the nature of the beast for not finding out before now. Now you could buy her a necklace, earrings or a bracelet on your own without too much trouble.

Oh yeah, you're not a AFC for wanting to buy your girl jewelry. You're in an established relationship and it's not as if you just met her or it's only your third date. Big difference.

WaterTiger

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's wierd, but it often works... ask her SHOE size! 9 times out of 10, her SHOE size and her RING size will be the same. Learned this from a jeweler.

Reaction score
I have never seriously thought about buying a girl a ring. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

steve12b

Don Juan
Reaction score
My Name is Nobody > You should cry because you never thought of it, then laugh at yourself for crying. Lol, seriously though, its not a big deal it's something relatively innexpensive that will make her (and her all-important friends) think of me. AFAIK thats the definition of a good gift.

I'm not getting her flowers btw, nor have I ever in the year that we've been dating.

Reaction score
steve12b said:
My Name is Nobody > You should cry because you never thought of it, then laugh at yourself for crying. Lol, seriously though, its not a big deal it's something relatively innexpensive that will make her (and her all-important friends) think of me. AFAIK thats the definition of a good gift.

I'm not getting her flowers btw, nor have I ever in the year that we've been dating.

HUH think of me? I wouldn't even think of buying a ring unless I would marry the girl.

So you guys will buy your girl a ring that you don't plan on marrying? What kind of ring? A mood ring?

I'd rather buy her a necklace than give her any crazy ideas about marriage. After all that's what a ring symbolizes.... marriage.

steve12b

Don Juan
Reaction score
Not all rings symbolize marriage, otherwise she wouldn't wear three or four of them every day when she goes out. They're decoration, thats all. They make girls fingers even prettier and better to look at. She would never wear a necklace.

The real issue is that you seem to think that girls are simple minded enough to think you'd marry them just because you do one of the marriage rituals. They do in fact realize that if you get them a ring but still ditch them for your friends once in awhile, that you're not interested in marriage. Anyways, every girl is different mine just happens to like rings and I want to keep my present a surprise. She's also the opposite of a materialistic biatch.

steve12b

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Now for another question. Say she's a size 8, would a 7-9 fit or is it a pretty tight tolerance?