Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fight Night: May 7th - Need Guidance

Digitz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm coming back from college May 7th and this kid has a serious problem with me. We agreed to fight the day I get back. I've been boxing for a year now and this kid is no fighter but he is one hell of an athlete. I'm talking a possible #1 draft pick for the MLB next year and he's just finishing up HS. He was also the star RB for football this year and is 6'2 205 lbs.

I weigh 180 lbs at 5'10 and hold the light heavy weight champion where I'm at.

Any advice on fighting this kid would help me out a lot. Workout, techniques, moves, anything that I can learn or improve on in the remaining time...

Also note we are going to fight, there's no talking out of this one. I hate him and he hates me with such a passion I cannot even begin to tell you. Please help me out guys...

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Come on now.. He's an athlete.. whats he gonna do? whack you upside the head with a bat? Shove a base ball down your throat? Maybe. If he fights dirty. Other than that .. Your a boxer. Come on, you can take him on. You siad it your self

"Hes no fighter"

Just do whatever you do. Jab, Jab, straight right, left hook, straight right, finish off with a jab. If you get this on him, you'll probably knock him down. If not, send a few more straight right punches into his right cheek. :p I box too.

Good luck to you buddy.

Enduro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sparrow, you underestimate pure athletic ability in a fight WAY too much. Especially against someone who has a large reach advantage over you.

I'm only a cyclist, but my second favorite sport is MMA and I have a purple belt in BJJ and boxed all through high school.

All I can say is try to keep the fight on your feet. Good luck!

DJUofS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I think alot of you are misunderstanding what he means by a "fight". A fight is much different than a boxing match. Boxing matches have rules, fights don't. I know that if I ever have to fight, I won't fight fair... I will fight to win. I suggest you do the same. Find the nearest weapon and smash it into him once. If he comes back for more, hit him again. I can't wait to see someone call me a pvssy for using a weapon...

FlyGuy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Expect the unexpected. Bring your friends because he'll almost certainly bring his. Bring a melee weapon just in case (fist-pack, club, etc.). Most fights go to the ground so if you're a boxer and not a grappler you might be at a disadvantage there if for no other reason than strength. Don't forget that (as someone already said) this isn't a boxing match, there are no rules. If you need to, bite, claw, scratch, throw dirt, do ANYTHING you need to.

Finally, I hope you have some good medical insurrance. If all goes well you both fight and take a few lumps and thats it. If things go bad, you could be maimed, or even die.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Any advice on fighting this kid would help me out a lot. Workout, techniques, moves, anything that I can learn or improve on in the remaining time...
I'm no expert by any means but here's my 2c worth of arm chair boxing advice anyway. From my limited experience I prefer to fight someone slightly taller than me than someone slightly shorter than me. The reason being is that I find it is easier to get under the gaurd of someone who is a couple of inches taller than me (I'm 5'9") and go for the osophagus/ribs/kidneys than to get under the gaurd of someone who is a couple of inches shorter than me. Fighting the guy a couple of inches shorter than me I pretty much have to concentrate on the head but fighting the guy a couple of inches taller than me I have a choice of head or body shots (as long as he isn't so tall that his head is out of range). Just saying that a couple of inches height advantage on you isn't necessarily all bad.

Also while his reach advantage means that he gets first shot as you come within his range before he comes within your range at the end of the day what it mainly means is that his comfortable fighting distance is different than yours. If you are close enough to get a good shot then you are within his comfortable striking range, that is too close for him to get a good shot (i.e. he can't extend his arm fully to get a good shot and that is frustrating for him). What I mean is once your inside his ideal punching distance but at your ideal punching distance you have the advantage not him (unless it turns to grapling that is - I'm talking from a striking point of view).

Also by and large punching with an unarmed hand/fist is generally an ineffective way to hurt people and one hit knock outs are rare for two similarly matched people. In other words even if he does land the first blow (due to his longer reach) as you close range on him to get within his range you will more than likely survive and then your within range to hit him. That is he only has the advantage with the first blow (if you manage distance right) and you will likely trade several).

I should hardly have to tell you this if you're a boxer but don't waste shots going for well muscled areas if you can help it .i.e. don't wast energy punching arms, stomach muscles, pectoral muscles (he won't feel it in the fight with all the endorphines released in his blood - likely neither will you). When doing a body shot go for the asophagus the ribs or the side of the rib cage at the narrowest point of the waist. The head can take a fair few blows to, don't waist time trying to break his nose and push his nose into his brain (that **** doesn't work), again he won't feel a thing if he's sufficiently hyped up. Rather go for his temples i.e. the soft bits on the side of the head near the eyes, that is the best place to concus someone and no amount of pain killing bloodstream hormones can protect the brain from concusion. (If you are a boxer you will also be familiar with the idea of levering his jaw to twist his head and knock him out). In general blows to the side of the head are probably better at concusing him than blows to the front (people can smash bricks/concrete slabs with their foreheads).

From my limitied experience street fighting (and for that matter taekwondo tornament fighting) your brain not being stupid (if its anything like mine) will shut of its normal perception of pain during a serious fight meaning that a hard wack to the nose which is normally an absolute show stopper in play fighting or just normal life may not be felt at all (I've had my nose fractured by two very hard blows to the nose and felt not the slightest pain myself on the nose or anywhere else for that matter until an hour after the fight was over).

Even if you aren't lucky enough to have your brain do this his probably will. What I'm getting at is that normal martial arts techniques to disable an attacker by causing intense pain (like a kick to the shins/punch to the nose) do not nesesarily work well in real life (the purpose of feeling pain is to cause you to rest a body part in order for it to heal - your brain is not stupid and unconsiously knows that feeling pain in a life or death fight is counterproductive to its own survival so very fortunately releases endorphines/pain killers to prevent the perception of pain in a life threatening situation).

I'm not saying that you can count on it happening to you but it may well happen to him. In other words to disable him you may not be able to rely on pain alone disabling him but rather you really need to concus him such as a blow to the temples (as the brain has no defence against being concused) and being concused really slows you down (thats how I got my nose fractured I was already concused from the first fight with the guys mate who was quite a bit taller than me but I won anyway (judging by the fact that he ran off bent over clutching his ribs) but unfortunatley the concusion meant I had slow reflexes during the second fight.

I was concused in the 1st fight because I felt I had already won and so was goin easy on him, I let my gaurd down and was sort of semi bear huggin him to restrain him, feeling I didn't have to trade any more blows (he was taller but I far out weighed him and was continually pushing him back) then suddenly out of no where BAM an attampt at a martial arts throw (which didn't quite work thanks to my superior weight as I only bent over at the waist) but it was combined with a blow to my temples which really did concus me (only my much greater weight saved me) and I recovered to respond with blows to his ribs (being bent over I was in an ideal spot for such a shot).

Lessons I learned from that fight 1) The fights not over until the other guy is really disabled don't let up and go easy on to him until you've really finished him off. 2) theres no substitue for being bigger than your opponant in mass (even if he is taller than you). 3) fighting tall skinny people is easier than fighting short stocky people (then again I was already concused after fighting his taller mate) 4) You body shuts of all pain perception during a serious fight (I didn't feel a thing during the whole senario until an hour latter and then all I felt was a slightly saw jaw on the side but I did have a very sore nose from it being fractured and a sore hand from being fractured too but didn't feel it till well after the two fights where over. 5) Being concused really slows your reflexes down.

The blow that fractured my hand was the last blow traded in the fight - I don't know what I hit because I wasn't looking where I was punching (on purpose) as I had worked out that he was telling where I was going to hit by watching my eyes (something I'd been taught in martial arts too) so I looked away to the side and then BAM out of nowhere punched at where I though he was (this was after he'd landed two very hard blows on my nose). My fist collided with something very hard which fractured my hand - though I didn't know there was anything wrong with my hand at the time. (He said "who told him I was watching his eyes?"). One of the by standers also said to him "you wouldn't have got him if he was fresh".

Anyway we parted ways, him saying "whose going to pay for this damage?" and me walking off saying "you can" with blood streaming out of my nose but feeling strangely invigorated (I guess I was feeling in touch with the warrior with in lol) but I somehow knew I shouldn't continue the fight even though I wanted to get revenge on him for making my nose bleed (in hind sight it was the right decision as I actually had a fractured nose and hand at the time but didn't know it) - I had just kicked in the side rear panel of his mates hatch back with a flying side kick as it moved off (it looked like it had been in a car crash - the rear wheel was completely bare) after I heard his mate threaten to rape a girl who he had been arguing with who he had nearly run over at a crossing. If I'd been more of a DJ at the time I would of picked up the girl I had just defended as she wanted to take me to a medical center but I kept insisting nothing was wrong with me its just a blood nose. (I didn't want anyone including the girl to know my contact details or where I worked for fear of latter being tracked by the police for the car damage). So I parted ways with the girl too (I was on my way walking to work at the time). At least I got the rest of the day of work.

Incidently on the car panel kicking thing I only did it after being in a stage of rage and seeing he was about to get of scot free and after the guy standing next to me at the crossing also in a state of rage kicked his car door first but he only put a little ding in it so I wanted to do the job properly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Any way back to fight advice. Another good blow is a spear hand to the throat (except I personally don't feel secure doing a full spear hand the way they teach it in taekwondo but prefer to do it with the tips of my fingers bent over so your striking with your mid digital knuckles instead of the tips of the fingers). Not that I've ever contacted with a spear with someeone in a full contact competition - its just a thought (a spear hand will fit into a space that a fist won't i.e. can be useful if he's got his chin bent to block blows to the throat). Blows to the throat are probably more effetive than blows to the head (not saying that you should fight dirty thats up to you but if he ain't using rules I guess you don't need to either). You could also gauge his eyes but that is a bit too dirty even for me. Also on the topic of dirty fighting if you're in a clinch on the ground and there is no other more respectable way to get out of it allways remember you do have teeth to use (so does he). Also on the topic of dirty fighting a kick to the kneecap can also be effective apparently if the leg is straight and not bent. Theres also the good old groin to go for, not just striking but actually grabbing and giving a good twist. (Note I've never used any of these dirty fighting techniques myslef so can't vouch for their effectiveness in real life they're just ideas). There's also chocking though personally I've never found that very effective and most martial arts teach 101 ways to get out of a choke (then again he may not know martial arts).

If you want your blows to be effective my advice is think, kneecaps, groin, rib cage area front and side, throat, side of neck and temples on side of head (and eyes). (Even if you don't think this way be aware he might). Also when you fight go full bore don't do it half hearted (though by the sounds of things I don't need to advice you in this area)

(Oh one other thing, if I have another street fight I think I will try open handed techniques next time so I don't break my hand (i.e. contact with the palm of the hand instead of the front two knuckles). The thing about boxing gloves of which you're used to is that it protects the hand as much as the head and actually enables you to punch much harder safely than you could with an ungloved hand. Likewise blocking punches with your fists kills like hell after a while if you don't have gloves on - maybe you should attend the fight with boxing gloves LOL)

You say you can't be talked out of the fight can you at least be talked into doing it in a properly supervised boxing match (at least you'd be on your own turf ha ha).

(So why am I advising one stranger how to beat up another stranger? hmmm I don't really know).

PS just a legal disclaimer here, I do not endorse you or encourage you or even approve of you fighting any other human being and in fact advice you to seek a friendly and amicable settlement with your adversary.

Digitz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow thanks a lot for your advice guys. I'll let you know how it goes when it's all over.

This kid has no idea what he's in for I'll tell you that much. My roommate (who's a marine) has been giving me hand to hand combat practice every day this week for 2 hours. He's also about the same size of this kid and I finally got him in a bind today on the mat and could have easily done any type of blow to the right side of his head (the temple is what I was thinking about).

I'm also bruised and black eyed but the boxing experience really is saving my ass. I'm very confident that after 2 more weeks of this sh*t I'm going to KO this kid.

and thanks especially to Alpha for your detailed post buddy, that's how you write a response people.

BMW

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just take him out to coffee and workout your differences. This shyt is stupid.

NYC Dude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From personal experience, boxer>athlete. My friend (athletic, big, strong) was fighting this scrawny little boxer who I don't know too well a few days ago. All I remember was my friend saying "you couldn't do sh*t in a fight" then the boxer knocking him out with one punch.

Metaphor

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by NYC Dude
From personal experience, boxer>athlete. My friend (athletic, big, strong) was fighting this scrawny little boxer who I don't know too well a few days ago. All I remember was my friend saying "you couldn't do sh*t in a fight" then the boxer knocking him out with one punch.
Depends on the athlete of course. I don't like a pure boxers chances against an elite wrestler.

Ziro

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't really advocate fighting as a means of solving a problem. If this problem can be settled over a conversation, then chill out and just talk to him for 5-10 min. If you MUST fight (I've taken down black belts stronger and older than myself by the way):

Most people don't kick. If someone kicks you, they're most likely going to go high unless they have martial art experience (in which case they still might kick high, but I don't advise such actions). The secret to kicking someone's ass is speed and reflexes. Since you're a boxer, you should make sure that your fists are tight enough to protect your hands (If your fists are too loose, you could break your hand- boxers encouter this problem because they're used to holding gloves). I'd usually come in with a low kick. It's dirty and cheap, but life isn't fair, and it never will be. You can easily take his leg out of commission for quite some time with a fast kick to his shin. Usually, I'd follow that up with a snap to his groin; he won't be ready for that after his shin is injured. After that's done, just use your boxing skills to beat him into submission.

Fights are not hard if you know how to fight, if you enjoy fighting/knowing how to fight, and if you're good at fighting.
Personally, I don't think that you'll have a problem beating him since you're a trained fighter and he's well... not. That can make all the difference. But fighting shouldn't be a solution, and be careful that nothing you do can come back and hurt you in the end.

If I were you, I'd tell him that I don't want to fight. If he insists, just start fighting without warning and get it over with quickly. Doing so will keep you in control of the situation and lessen the chance of him hurting you badly.

Jimbo2k

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bump - Fight nights comin up...be sure to update us on how it went :)

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Grow up kid. Your a lightheavy champ of WHAT? Amateur or Pro?

If you were the lightheavyweight champion of ANYTHING decent in boxing, you would be able to pack a killer punch and take a great punch also. You would not be scared of some "athlete"!!!

Digitz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well it's over and all I have to say is thank you, thank you very much.

He pushed me, I hit him and we were off. I started hitting my chest with my right fist while smiling, occasionally shouting "YEAH" and egging him on (to try and freak him out). Didn't really work and I was a little taken back by his size since he seemed to tower over me but then I grew really ****y really quick. He came at me three or four times and turned out to be a hell of a lot slower than I thought he'd be...I played it like a match and went sideways, kept up a few counter-punches and finally got inside and knocked him down with an upper cut. He pussed out after that and left running his bloody mouth.

The big fight turned out to be hype.

Thanks for your support though guys, let me know if you ever need a boxer in Boston.

Layyy

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oh its over....i had to edit my post i was just trying to give some advice

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Digitz
Well it's over and all I have to say is thank you, thank you very much.

He pushed me, I hit him and we were off. I started hitting my chest with my right fist while smiling, occasionally shouting "YEAH" and egging him on (to try and freak him out). Didn't really work and I was a little taken back by his size since he seemed to tower over me but then I grew really ****y really quick. He came at me three or four times and turned out to be a hell of a lot slower than I thought he'd be...I played it like a match and went sideways, kept up a few counter-punches and finally got inside and knocked him down with an upper cut. He pussed out after that and left running his bloody mouth.

The big fight turned out to be hype.

Thanks for your support though guys, let me know if you ever need a boxer in Boston.

Layyy
:rolleyes:

u are amateur or pro? You are light heavy champ of what? Whats your name, maybe Ive heard of you..............??

Digitz

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm an amateur and LHW of the Rochester Aea, NY (I go to school up there). I'd rather not give out my name but you can probably find it if you look around.

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Digitz
I'm an amateur and LHW of the Rochester Aea, NY (I go to school up there). I'd rather not give out my name but you can probably find it if you look around.
ok, fair enough. But you are light heavyweight champ of what? What title did u win to become champ?