Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Father Laid Off

Upside

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
God ****ing damn this economy. I'm a high school senior that has applied to about 5 colleges and got into 2 of them so far waiting for the other 3. 3 of them were state schools and other two were out of state. I was planning the whole time to live on campus, but I might need to rethink my plans and apply to a "commuter school" here in Chicago.

If aid money doesn't come through my plan of living in a dorm is thrashed. I'll have to start saving every little penny until he finds work elsewhere. He was laid off 5 years ago but found a job in one week. This time I feel it can take 5 months...:down:

Idkmyname

Don Juan
Reaction score
Why don't you work yourself? Apply for every scholarship you can find. Fill out your FAFSA. Since your dad is unemployed the government might help you.

Goto www.Fastweb.com.

btownbuck2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BROseph,

Whatever happens man you'll be stronger afterwards. I was in this position a while ago. Not with money or anything but I decided to and currently am living at home for my first year of college.

Schools I got into:
Indiana State
IPFW (Indiana university-Purdue University @ Fort Wayne)
University of Southern Indiana
Ball State (Currently #12 in the BCS)

Schools that rejected me:
INDIANA UNIVERISTY....my dream school.

I found out that through a branch Indiana campus in my home town that I can transfer to IU after my freshman year. So I decided to suck it up and live at home for a year. I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS thought I would live at home my first year of school. However, I feel I'm a better person for doing it. I have learned the art of patience. I've learned how to cope with bad sh*t. Those are skills I will have for the rest of my life. I'm also doing very well academically. It's better to go through tough times now dude. If you have to live at home your first year just MAN UP and do it. Sh*t won't last forever. Your dad not having a job won't last forever. Tough times NEVER last but tough people do.

You'll learn things about life. All these rich kids that don't have to pay sh*t for school aren’t learning anything about adversity. People who have to pay their own way through college or have to tough it out at a CC are the ones who have a better appreciation for things.

so yea good luck.

-btown

Idkmyname

Don Juan
Reaction score
..I hope you're not saying the kids going to a CC are the ones better off..

btownbuck2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
..I hope you're not saying the kids going to a CC are the ones better off..

Pete Rozelle: Commissioner of the NFL
Tom Hanks: Oscar-winning actor
H. Ross Perot: Corporate executive and 1992 Presidential Candidate Calvin Klein: Fashion Designer
Melvin Salveson: Creator of MasterCard
Walt Disney: Founder of Disney World and Disneyland
Francine Neff: Former US Treasurer
Arthur Goldberg: Supreme Court Justice
James Sinegal: CEO of Costco
Fred Haise: Apollo 13 Astronaut
Clint Eastwood: Actor and Oscar-winning director
John Walsh: "America's Most Wanted" host
Rita Mae Brown: Author
Gwendolyn Brooks: Pulitzer prize-winning poet
Eileen Collins, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut

All those people went to or at least started off at community college. So yea some people who go to CC are better off. There's nothing wrong with it dude.

Upside

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
3 of my applications have been to top public state schools in the country.

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (My dream school, very attainable too)
University of Minnestoa
University of Oklahoma

The other two schools were state schools that I KNEW I would get into to be on the safe side and have already been accepted to. However, I should have no problem getting into at least one of the three other schools.

The problem being when I fill out FAFSA I would use the tax returns for 2008 and my dad kept his job all year until now so my EFC number will be higher than it should be IF he can not find a new one. I can file an appeal stating my sitatuion but to be honest with you I am not entirely sure if it would even get through. There is more than one way to pay for college but the problem is with how the economy is doing aid is harder to get now. Many local scholarships have faltered or offer less money and tuition is going up. There is always a way to pay for college, but it depends how much risk you are willing to take.

I don't have car insurance so where I can work is very limited. I normally just worked over the summer but now I might just grab my bike out for a spin and fill out a few applications after the semester ends. The bus system is non-existent where I live.

Not saying anything bad about other colleges, but it I want to go to a school that is best for me and anything less would have me feel just a tad bit pissed off that I had to settle. Whatever works for you.

Not to say I don't care about my father. He is an old fashioned guy who doesn't understand a lot of todays modern technology (though he is learning). I am helping him with his job hunt creating online profiles and giving him all the money I currently had in my wallet and stash at home. The rest is in my savings for college.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
pfff complaining that your dad got laid off, you have it easy brother. At least your dad wants to work and support his family. My dad gets fired from every job, hasn't paid child support since i forget how long, and because of him I can't even live on my own because my mother can't afford to live on her own so i gotta play the role of supporter of the family by working overtime 6 days a week and barely getting by in school.

just when you think you have it bad there is someone that last it a lot worse, it keeps you humble.

Idkmyname

Don Juan
Reaction score
btownbuck2012 said:
Pete Rozelle: Commissioner of the NFL
Tom Hanks: Oscar-winning actor
H. Ross Perot: Corporate executive and 1992 Presidential Candidate Calvin Klein: Fashion Designer
Melvin Salveson: Creator of MasterCard
Walt Disney: Founder of Disney World and Disneyland
Francine Neff: Former US Treasurer
Arthur Goldberg: Supreme Court Justice
James Sinegal: CEO of Costco
Fred Haise: Apollo 13 Astronaut
Clint Eastwood: Actor and Oscar-winning director
John Walsh: "America's Most Wanted" host
Rita Mae Brown: Author
Gwendolyn Brooks: Pulitzer prize-winning poet
Eileen Collins, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) astronaut

All those people went to or at least started off at community college. So yea some people who go to CC are better off. There's nothing wrong with it dude.
I'm not saying CCs are bad, but you can't tell me most of the people on your list use the knowledge they received from a community college. Most of these people seem like they were born with the skills needed to get where they are, or were.

CCs seem like a joke to me. I have quite a few friends in CCs and seeing what they do for homework or seeing all the take home tests they get is ridiculous. They themselves say their schooling is easier than high school. Recently one of my friends had a 1000 word report, which was their longest report so far and they're a sophomore where as I've had 5, 10 and 25 page reports. Also, society has dubbed CCs for the less fortunate, not saying people that go there are dumb it's just how society sees it. I don't know maybe all that stuff is unique to my area of the world.

My point is I just don't see how people going to a CC where they get all the answers for tests and homework are better off than people in a larger university where they have to work a lot harder to succeed. I think having to work hard for betters marks would make appreciate things more.

btownbuck2012

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Some Idiot
CCs seem like a joke to me
Your opinion doesn't mean sh*t bud.

Originally Posted by Some Idiot
They themselves say their schooling is easier
You write this like it's a fact. Who gives a fvck what your friends say.

Originally Posted by Some idiot
Also, society has dubbed CCs for the less fortunate, not saying people that go there are dumb it's just how society sees it.
Less Fortunate huh? There are many different reasons why people go to CC. I'll admit some are less fortunate. BUT some go because they don't know what they want to major in yet. Some go because they don't want to leave home to go to school. Some go to get their grades in order before they dive into major university life.

THE FOLLOWING IS TAKEN FROM---http://www.communitycollegereview.com/articles/8

When reviewing statistics of transfer admissions, it is clear that universities see the academic strength in transfer students For example, 33% of all applicants from California community colleges are accepted into UC Berkeley, which is significantly higher than the 26% of California high school students who applied. Or, for the University of Virginia, over 60% of transfer applications from Piedmont Virginia Community College were accepted, which is a greater ratio than the 50% of students who are accepted as freshmen from in-state high schools.

With the increasing economic burdens felt on individuals and families, many students are making the financially-savvy choice of attending community college. The continuously rising costs of university tuition can present a large burden for many families, and by attending a community college, students can save on tuition and living costs.

In addition, whereas many students can gain admissions into four-year universities prior to their enrollment in community college, they can also take the necessary time during the first two years to explore majors they enjoy before applying to the top programs in their field.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
see that?

UC Berkeley (damn good school)
University of Virginia (DAMN good school)

People have transfered from CC's to those schools. THOSE ARE VERY TOUGH SCHOOLS TO GET INTO BUD. What school do you go to? I'd love to know.

Also, did you see how they used the term "financially-savvy "? They didn't say "less fortunate."

Teflon_Mcgee

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have to agree with btown.

I lived on my own, and paid (still am) my way through school by doing my first two years at a community college.

When I started at a uni I had no disadvantages. I am in the top of my class.
I'll be finishing my masters degree in engineering and will have only 12 grand in student loans.

My grades in my undergrad and grad career will allow me to attend a top rated law school.

Unless you come from a well off family I can see no reason why you wouldn't go to community college to start.

I always hear these people who finish school with $24,000-$100,000 of debt and can't even get a job to pay the loans off.

No matter were you go to school, you get out from it exactly what you put in.

Are most CCs and CC students jokes? Maybe. But that doesn't mean you can't get just as good of education at one if you put in the effort.

To the OP:
I realize your situation might not be ideal.
But now is a good time to man up.

Find a night time job, go to school during the day. It really is that simple.
If you want it, you'll do it.

Go to a school that is practical (in state tuition, cheap, close.)
If you need more prestige then work hard and apply to a good grad school.
You'll be better of in the long run anyway.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are looking at a four-year degree like it means something. You will be very surprised to graduate...and then find out there are countless other job seekers with a degree as well. Unless your degree is in something difficult like math, science, engineering, or healthcare...good luck getting a decent job with just a Bachelor's.

Most people not in those difficult majors will have to go to grad school to put themselves in a high-earning income bracket. I can tell you that for the most part, grad schools do not care at all where you went to undergrad, and especially do not care if you went to CC. They have too many applicants from different schools, so they just use GPA and entrance test scores to determine admission. Spending your first two years at CC actually helps, because it is easier and you should make better grades.