Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Fashion for larger, broader guys....

Pugsley_f5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been looking for some fashion advice for broader guys (Linebacker body type) Im 5'11 270 and 23% BF

I was looking for maybe some place to start with help, on dressing for success being a bigger guy and not being able to shop at places like express and crap like that (and don't say stupid crap like start lifting, Im a powerlifter and have been competing for about 8 years and also do some strongman comps, if you have any questions calculate out my FFM(fat free mass) that should give you an idea of my body type), Ive searched the net but could not find a dang thing, any leads on this topic?

thanks
Pugs

Scought

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, no offense but thats not a linebackers body, thats a linemans body.
Ray Lewis who is a huge linebacker is 6'3 245.
Just clarifying.
Try the big and tall store.

BramhaBull60

Don Juan
Reaction score
Pugsly,

I'm about 6'4 250, so I have to look for clothes that fit my height and wieght. I totally understand the frustration. I have a unique but more versatile size, wearing about 40-42 in pants, 48 suit, 17 1/2 neck, and generally stick with XL clothes, though XLT is prefered. I tend to dress nice due to my circle of friends and job( slacks, collar shirt, dress shoes or casual dress, sport coat on occassion going out, suit at work) . I also am more about material than brand names and it works well for me. One of my number one compliments from women comes from how I dress. I try to cover the bad( my body and looks lol) with nice clothes and it works well.

Anyway, for guys our size I find, at least where I live( DC) , that a nice, presentable apperence goes a long way, so I shop at places like Mens Warehouse, Sears( seriously Sears has a lot of good stuff, including Structure and David Taylor which I think are good clothes) Marshalls or a discount department store for fashion designer styles.

If you have not got your measurements already, go to a Mens Warehouse where they do it for free, and have them pick out some suit seperates for you. The best thing to do with clothes when your starting out is to get someone to help you with color combinations, and size when You don't want to wear clothes that don't fit( to tight or baggy), even if they look good, because women will take points off of you immediately for that.

Now I know a lot of guys shop at Banna Republic or Old Navy or Gap or Express, and they have good clothes if you look, but for a guy your size, its going to be tough to find clothes th. DO NOT GO TO A BIG AND TALL STORE. You'l look like a tool. That stuff is crap. You can find nice, stylish clothes at the places I mentioned in your size. As for jeans, Sears is your best bet for size and style. You won't find designer stuff your size unless you have a good speciality store near you in your size. Finding a 40 is tough enough for me.

Also, black solid or black stripes for shirts are a must for your wardrobe. They come off as slimming and are kind of badass, so you definately want a nice black shirt for going out. Look at people who score well in clubs or bars. They always have the black shirt with the rolled up sleeves. Simple but effective.

I hope this helps.

jakethasnake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unfortunately for guys as stocky as you, 'high fashion' is out of the question. No edgy looks for you - you will be mostly limited to the generic -- no Gucci, no Prada, no Hugo Boss, no Armani, etc. for you.

Most of those clothes are made for men roughly 5'9" to 6'2" in height, with a slim-to-medium build. You may be able to squeeze into an extra large size piece of clothing by these guys here and there, but it just won't hang right on you. High fashion clothes are meant to convey an image of elegance and refinement when worn, and that's not going to happen when draped over a 5'11", 270 pound frame. Unfortunate. The best you can do is stick to the Men's Warehouse and also get personally tailored suits.

Pugsley_f5

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I dress very well right now, but its very business casual, like right now I get looks from chicks all the time, I wearing a really nice textured tan sportcoat, a black IZOD shirt underneath; top two buttons unbuttoned, and underarmor under that (tip there, makes you look much slimmer and symmetrical wearing underarmor very good!!!) black slacks, and black shoes, black belt, the only colors I have on besides blac are my tan sports coat and my white undershirt showing thru my IZOD, on top of my UA....What really I was looking for guys, is not necessarily place to shop, cause I can find stuff, but fashion tips, like colors, shirts, pants, stripes all that stuff, tip for making me look slimmer with wearing more casual clothes, I like business casual and I def look on top of my game, but some days id like to switch up a bit.

Pugs

Fred Da Head

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To keep it short and simple: to look slimmer you must avoid things that attract the eye to your width, and instead attract them to your height.

That means, ABSOLUTELY NO HORIZONTAL STRIPES under any circumstances. Horizontal stripes make you look like a bloated hippo. (Actually, there's a possible exception, if you have a stripe going across your chest, as it makes your chest look more muscular.) Instead, wear no stripes or vertical pinstripes.

Also, try to avoid contract between your shirts and your pants. This doesn't mean matching the colors perfectly, but just don't wear things that really clash with each other.

Another thing is, get "small" beltbuckles that aren't too shiny and don't catch the eye too much. If you attract the eye to your beltbuckle, it'll draw the attention to how big you are, which is a no-no.

As for the colors themselves... Conservative colors (ie, no powder-colors and such) is the best bet, unless you can pull off other stuff.

I'm not THAT big myself (5'10 215lbs) but considering 95% of the male population at my college is composed to tiny wusses, I look big most of the time, so I have to pay attention to my looks too.

Hope this helps.

-Fred