Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

F*ck Microsoft.

Reaction score
Im tired of having to fix my computer because of windows. I just want a computer that will get the job done. I've been looking into Linux lately but i have no idea what it is.

Does anyone here use linux? Does it use more resources than XP (it looks alot flashier with all the cool shaded buttons and whatnot)? And which one do I get?

BTW... no I not getting a mac. Do you guys realize how much protein powder and meat you could buy with that money$ !?

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by brucevangeorge
Im tired of having to fix my computer because of windows. I just want a computer that will get the job done. I've been looking into Linux lately but i have no idea what it is.

Does anyone here use linux? Does it use more resources than XP (it looks alot flashier with all the cool shaded buttons and whatnot)? And which one do I get?

BTW... no I not getting a mac. Do you guys realize how much protein powder and meat you could buy with that money$ !?
YEAH! F*ck them with a rusty butter knife!

arutha

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've heard Linux is good, but you'll find one of the biggest problem is so many programs are windows compatible only and won't work on it. Lots of games for example. For some there are fixes you can download I think, not sure though.

I'm happy enough with Windows. It does what I want it to.

Don Pablo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you run Windows right and watch what you download, you should have no problems. My computer is rock solid, and it doesn't give problems. It also runs on Windows.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Linux is a open source operating system designed to be flexible yet user friendly in operation. Under the GNU Agreement, Linux is orginally considered free, although some companies have taken it in to present a buyable copy. It is available for download in a vast number of locations or on disk in about 20 languages.

It's design allows for a user moderately adpat in computers to control the computer to it's lowest levels. With windows, how you are presented with dialog boxes and how you never can seem to find a way to change a certain thing, with linux it is there somewhere, fully editable by you. Although the structure of linux is indeedly overwhelming, with the multitude of forums, support, Q&A, manuals and the continuing expansion of the core OS and the programs that accompy it, there is a wealth of information found not only on the internet, but on the computer itself.

A lot of configuration takes place via a command prompt called 'Console'. Being able to use this is the key to opening up the linux system, and allowing for some features that haven't been scripted up to be completed. As each version of linux comes out, it comes with updates and new programs. In the recent years, there have been breakthoughs in allowing windows executables to be run under linux itself (WINE). To add, there is no equal in security in any of a linux based distribution. There is a master password (the root password) that allows for administrative changes. This password is asked for every single time. Not only can this password not been seen from keypresses, but nothing can harm the computer.

All in all, if you like change and learn, Linux is something to look into. It uses a lot less resources then Windows, but it requires that you are not a retard with computers and know a bit about using command prompt-style syntax.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How to make windows reliable:

1) Get rid of all spyware and adware.
2) Download Mozilla Firefox and Sygate Personal Firewall. Set it to block third party cookies.
3) Use Sygate to block Microsoft Internet Explorer from accessing the internet.

There, problem solved. The truth is, every single spyware, adware, etc problem that doesn't come from people being idiots and downloading what they shouldn't, comes from Microsoft Interent Explorer.

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
I got a simplier solution.

- Put yourself behind a HARDWARE firewall/router, not some sh:tas software one.

- Firefox for almost all browsing needs, as blocking IE blocks a lot of programs from access the net since they rely on the IE browser plugin to view things.

- AVG.

No problems yet, I run anti-spyware about every 6 months and get sweet nothingness, and AVG picks up nothing unless I download it for some stupid reason (crap cracks).

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Docs
I got a simplier solution.

- Put yourself behind a HARDWARE firewall/router, not some sh:tas software one.

- Firefox for almost all browsing needs, as blocking IE blocks a lot of programs from access the net since they rely on the IE browser plugin to view things.

- AVG.

No problems yet, I run anti-spyware about every 6 months and get sweet nothingness, and AVG picks up nothing unless I download it for some stupid reason (crap cracks).
Here's an even better one: stop trying to start pissing contests. Mine not only works just as well and is easier to do, but you don't have to pay anything for Sygate or buy any other hardware. I've put both my sister's computer and my own computer on my solution, and neither of us have had anything go wrong, and this was after I had to run three different spyware programs on mine (MS AntiSpyware, Ad Aware SE, Spybot) and reinstall her OS because the three of those PLUS Norton AntiVirus didn't get rid of all of her adware, spyware, trojan, and malware problems.

syncmaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

So i know you're not buying a mac... but go buy a mac anyway. No viruses and *GASP*:eek: it actually works. Or run x86 architecture on your pc and load mac osx.

Don Pablo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you are going to buy a Mac (I don't recommend it), at least wait til summer '06, when Apple switches to the x86/x64 architecture with Intel. Compatibility should be much better. That said, just keep you PC clean of spyware, and you should be great. XP is a nice operating system, and their next version, Vista, will be even better. I've tried their beta and it is quite nice.

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
From what i hear the hardware for Lunix computer is quiet expensive (if you get the whole package from ibm) just a high end graphics card can run you thousands and thousands of dollars. On top of that, trying to program RUN one of those suckers is a pain in the ass, even with the "Lunix for dumbies" book. we had one station at work, that we used to run CimLink on. We just figured out enough, just to be able to run it. we are in the proces of fasing it out....

Best friends? NAY

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't need expensive hardware to run linux. Is your company using the system to run high end graphics rendering on? That would explain the thousands and thousands of dollars for it. In general the really expensive graphics cards arn't ment for the average person, infact many are not better then high end ones that are under 1g, BUT they are very stable.
(sorry for off-topicness).
I wouldn't go linux if you can't solve your windows problems.

Phoenix_of_the_ashes

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have windows, none of your "solutions" and absolutely no problems even though I download lots of stuff.

I win the pissing contest.

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have had constant problems with my computer, since i purchased it last spring. I have all of the up-to-date anti-virus, spyware, firewall, etc. yet my computer still gets infected.

I have been infected by the WinFixer virus 2 times. It is soooo annoying!

Myspace seems to have a lot of bugs--anyone else notice this?

Reaction score
Ive heard that suse is a decent linux. User friendly and fast. And as for windows, I live on campus. The network is CRAWLING with the worst **** you could find. I brought my computer brand new with xp sp1 and in a matter of hours it was garbage. I lost everything. I had to reformat.

As for mac osx in '06. Thats not an option. Neither is a regular mac, simply because of the price.
Any linux for dummies OSes out there? Or anywhere you could learn about linux?

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AVG, adaware, spybot, CCleaner, spyware guard, spyware blaster, and cwshredder.

I hate computers.....lol!