Eurotrip: Prague, Berlin, Amsterdam, and Munich

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Time for a little R&R!

In the middle of September I am headed for Berlin, then to Amsterdam, down to Munich for Oktoberfest, and finishing off in Prague. I purposely planned to be in each city over a weekend (except Munich...don't want to deal with those kinds of crowds!) so I will be able to fully experience the nightlife. Traveling by train between cities.

Any tips? Suggestions for out-of-the-way places not to miss? I like good beer, exotic food, and hot women.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds awesome, I wish I could go. Just watch your wallet and watch your back.

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Berlin: can't say much about the nightlife here although i did go out several times when i was there i found nothing really cool. Kreuzberg is the gettho of the city but you get cheap and good "Döner" there - gotta eat at least one!

Amsterdam: liked this one, can't remember much but the GreenHouse is cool if you want to smoke weed and you gotta visit the Heineken brewery. And at least walk through the red light district at night....it's a great atmosphere and you will see many hot women haha.

Prague: ****ing cool but it was a few years ago. meals cheap and good. cigarettes and beer as well. the name for beer is pivo. here you can get a REAL budweiser not the wannabe american piss(although i heard it tastes better than it's reputation :D). The Music Club is the biggest DIsco there, go there.

Munich: FOr Nightlife go to "Kunstpark Ost" there are many clubs at one place.
You can go there after the Oktoberfest because it ends around 12pm. I was never to Oktoberfest but i can tell you to come early if you wanna have a place to sit. And with early i am talking about before lunch! But when you are alone you can maybe come later and still get a seat.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my only tip is in prague cary travles cheques instead of cash and find out if tap water is safe to drink. Also find out fi you can get a trian pass across all those countries, it will save you money, search it online its called a euro pass except you dont want the big one thats for 17 diffrent countires there 1 that lets you 'pick and mix' between 3-5 countries.

Go on to amazon and search for travle guides (as in books) for the countries, they will tell you all the must see places and more aswell as where there are things like hotels/youth hostles etc

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If ur heading for prague defenetly go to Karlovy lazne ....

The best Nightclub in middle europe......
And in berlin Just ask the drivver to take you to the best nightclub there....

Prague : Karlovy Lazne: A 6 floor high danceclub, Every floor has one huge ass bar, and every floor has its own theme, like rnb rap techno.... In the top floor its the chill out zone, huge place where u can take a girl and siyt on the bean bags, adn sofas and chill with her get to know each other... The girls there are hot and pretty easy cuz most of them are like you , travelers looking for the time of theyr life.... The drinks there are unbelievabally cheap, me and my m8s emptied a absint bottle and a couple of vodka botles =P... U should defenetly try redbull and vodka.... the best drink imo and try a couple of absint shots or drinks... will make your stay alot better.... =)

Berlin: Kudorf :Its a huge place underground packed with people around 500 600 people all young ones, They have live shows, strippers sometimes wet t shirt contests.... girls go crazy they got like 20 bars in that place so wherever you are under there u can get something to drink. and they have a litle resturant and u can get pizza or sandwiches down there..... The craziest place ive ver been....they even got sometime live music there and like international superstars bands playing there... last time i was there they had Nina & Sky performing there ....

if u want more info just pm me il be happy to give u some info =);)

Double

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well i was at the Kuhdorf too but didnt really like it but it's been a while and maybe i just was there on a bad day. seemed only a good place if you like underaged girls :/ plus not everyone like the underground ambiente...at least i dont.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Double
here you can get a REAL budweiser not the wannabe american piss(although i heard it tastes better than it's reputation :D).
No, budweiser deserves every bit of the bad rap it gets from people who know what REAL beer is.

The drinks there are unbelievabally cheap, me and my m8s emptied a absint bottle and a couple of vodka botles =P... U should defenetly try redbull and vodka.... the best drink imo and try a couple of absint shots or drinks... will make your stay alot better.... =)
I will pass on the red bull and vodka as well. Everyone drinks that stuff here but I can't get down more than a couple of sips.

I'm definitely going to try the absinthe. Lots of history and mystery surrounding the stuff. I don't care for Jagermiester type stuff which I understand it is similar to, but you only live once!

Thanks for the ideas so far, any other suggestions?

Sanity_Cleaver

Don Juan
Reaction score
Man i did a eurotrip last year, and i can tell you a bit about Prague- considering i used to live there.

Get your beer from the supermarkets- 6 crowns for half a litre (and last time i check 1 Euro got you 30).

Food to get- national dish is vepro/knedlo/zelo (pork, dumplings and sauerkraut), but the best thing you can try is a special steak dish called Svickova- basically a steak in a special vegetable cream sauce. The steak is traditionally drowned in suace and when its done the sauce is eaten by itself because it just tastes so good.

Touristy things to see: Charles Bridge, Old Town Square and the Prague Castle are the obvious ones, but take a few trips out of town if you can. Karlstejn and Konopiste are both amazing castles, jsut day trips out. The towns of Cesky Krumlov and Karlovy Vary are just too good to miss out.

Nightlife: Msot popular places are Karlovy Lazne and Roxy. Karlovy Lazne is just next to Charles Bridge and has 5 different dancefloors. Its a hell of a fun night out, but many locals avoid it due to its reputation as a drug hub. About half the people there are travelers like yourself. Roxy is an old cinema complex off Dlouha Trida (best accessed by the tram stop of the same name). That place attracts more of a local crowd, mostly hippies and alternative raver freaks. Great if you like electro and wading through clouds of pot smoke.

As far as girls go, czech girls are incredible. They are my absolute favourite species of girl in the universe. The best- and most beautiful- girlfriends, flings and one-nighters i have ever had have been czech girls.

The best tip you have of scoring with them is to LEARN CZECH!
Im fluent in the language so i had no shortage of dates there, but learning a whole language in a month is a tough ask so jsut try what you can. Any attempt to learn the language and use it will be greatly appreciated.

Youll find that in Europe a lot of people will be a bit intimidated by your english (but will still want to talk to you- to practice) and apologize for how bad they are. Not this is not applicable to all places. The more a place is saturated by tourists the more likely your prescence is to be annoying, and seen only as economic fuel. The lest touristy a place is the more likely you are to be seen as something exotic

The best thing you can possibly do when visiting any of these countries is to MAKE AN EFFORT TO LEARN A BIT OF THEIR LANGUAGE AND BE RESPECTFUL OF THEIR CUSTOMS. Act like some drongo hooligan and you have no chance my friend. Locals will warm to you instantly if you do the above.

Other random things I know/have noticed:

Europeans are much more comfortable about sex (but that doesnt nessecarily mean their easier to get in the sack)

European girls are much more feminine than their American/Aussie counterarts. They are quite happy to let a man take charge and more often than not expect it from him

European girls look more for a man with substance, and are less impressed by bling. The further east you go the more applicable it gets.

Paradoxically the further east you go the more money is a turn on. Women will want you jsut for your passport and exchange rate (the more impoverished a nation/region is the more this is applicable- think Ukraine)

Some Eastern European women will do anything to escape their own countries (hence mail-order brides).

Have a good trip

drixsa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have been to amsterdam and prague.

In amsterdam, go check out the red light district at night but be wary of the small streets, there are many of them. Go flirt with the girls. Its funny to see them behind a window. I actually noticed that the ugly ones seemed to be the busiest.

Do not go to a sex show, very lame stuff and quite the weird crowd in those places. I am not a big pot smoker but the weed i smoked in Amsterdam was awsome. It is a very mellow marijuana. Not trippy at all, just the way i like it. Hash has some more kick to it and is fun also but is more intense.

The anne frank musuem way bad. It is presented quite poorly.

The van gough(?) musuem was amazing. A lot of very cool works. Go to frommers.com or other travel sites and check out the best food. I am big on dining out espically in other countries.

I wouldn't spend anymore than a week in amsterdam. There are some good clubs but Prague is much better.

Prague's nite clubs are awsome but you will probably need to take a cab there and back. There are some "shady" areas in the city so be careful.

Its a really nice city to walk in. I do not remember the food being all that great (eastern european, what do you exspect?)

Have a good trip let me know how it goes.

JaguarMike

Don Juan
Reaction score
Absinthe is so much fun. When I was in spain I went to a disco and had about 4 shots of it, followed by a LOT OF WATER (I hate licorice). It is licorice-like in taste, feels kind of like whiskey going down, but different- cold/tingly. 4 shots for an average drinker (me) felt like I was a floaty drunk, and I was very emotional. Not like sissygirl emotional, just I felt a lot more than I usually do. I felt attached to this girl in a way i've never felt before, and got a great kiss while dancing. Good stuff I recommend it, just make sure it is not homemade absinthe, that stuff can be harmful and make you go van gogh crazy. :yes:

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Having been to Amsterdam 5-6 times now, I can recommend you visit one site that I would have never been able to have a good time without... bookmark it, memorize it, print it out, get on it daily in the week or two before you leave.

http://www.ignatzmice.com/

You may also want to follow the following link:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/search...d=247525&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

(a search for 'amsterdam' in posts I've written)

In regards to an earlier post;
In amsterdam, go check out the red light district at night but be wary of the small streets, there are many of them. Go flirt with the girls. Its funny to see them behind a window. I actually noticed that the ugly ones seemed to be the busiest.
Amsterdam is extremely safe, unless you're just an idiot and walk around at 4am stupid drunk with your wallet hanging out of your back pocket. Pickpocketing is the most common crime there - violent crime is almost unheard of. Don't miss the small side alleys in the RLD; it's so touristy you're virtually guaranteed a good time just walking around, drunk, high, or anything else... Oh, and the ugly girls are busy because they do things the better looking ones won't (at least from my understanding of the situation). Watch out for the big black women who tap on the windows saying "Excuse me sir, can I ask you a question?" - they're... gross...

Do not go to a sex show, very lame stuff and quite the weird crowd in those places. I am not a big pot smoker but the weed i smoked in Amsterdam was awsome. It is a very mellow marijuana. Not trippy at all, just the way i like it. Hash has some more kick to it and is fun also but is more intense.
The sex shows are a rip off. When it comes to weed, just tell the guy behind the counter what sort of high you want and he'll give you the stuff for it - from mellowed out to bouncing off the walls, it's there for the buying.
I wouldn't spend anymore than a week in amsterdam. There are some good clubs but Prague is much better.
Couldn't agree more. A week is more than enough time to blow a lot of money and energy in Amsterdam, being left feeling like you're actually ready to get back home...

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great replies!

I am spending 4-5 days in each city except Munich. I want to experience Oktoberfest but I'm not much for crowds.

In Amsterdam I am staying in the Liedseplein area, in berlin I am staying in Mitte, Munich I am about one mile from Oktoberfest, and Prague I am staying steps away from the Charles Bridge. I purposely planned to stay in these areas so I don't have to worry about getting transportation, especially at 4am after a long night out.

Thinking about a side trip out of Prague to the bone-church. Is it worth it to take time away from the city for it?

Sanity_Cleaver

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah the bone church (Kostnice) is awesome. I'm assuming you're talking about the one in Kutna Hora- becuase thats the most famous one where all the tourists go (there are a few others splattered around the countryside but you have to be in the know to know how to find them). Its awesome- i highly reccomend it- it makes the set for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom look like Playschool. Just dont stare too long at the chandeliers or youll start to wince.

Theres also a beautiful church- the Cathedral of St Barbara- and some silver mines to visit there.

Also when youre in Prague DONT TAKE TAXIS. Taxis are notorious rip-off merchants, dont be surprised if youre charged 50 Euros for a 10 minute trip. If you're staying right in the heart of town you can seriously walk everywhere. From the statue of St Wenceslas outside the National Museum to the Prague Castle courtyard is seriously only 30-40 minute walk if youre reasonably fit.
Also, take Absinthe but try not to kill yourself.

And if you want to extend your trip by a week or so i recommend Budapest or Krakow, both only 8 or so hours away.

Morphiex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
in prague never go higher then 10 euro for a taxi ,,, thats the maximum..... If they say they want more then go to another cab there are always many of them available....

about the food in prague , its all about where u eat and what u order... i know two places that make the most awesome pizza ive ever tasted in my life , i would litereally go bakc there just to eat it once more.....

Didnt witness much crime when i was there, but u might wanna stay away from showing or asking for any illigal drugs when ur in that town... My friend told me the bouncers at karlovy lazne caught one guy selling weed to the tourists and then they beat the crap out of him right infront of everyone.... =/

Prague is also a great place to shop, i found some stuff there that was like 10 % of original price from where i live.... but be shure not to buy some junk that looks like its gonna fall apart in two weeks....

The girls are Hot , some are very easy , and if u got game and flash a litle money in the clubs they will come to you ....
But be shure that they arent a lady of the night if u know what i mean.....

Other then that just have a good time , Prague rox and im going back soon =)

Berlin : was a smooth nice city but too expencive imo ... The food wasent that special ordenary things.... The taxis were cheap.... And the people seemed cool enough.....

TyTe`EyEs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sanity_Cleaver
Also when youre in Prague DONT TAKE TAXIS. Taxis are notorious rip-off merchants, dont be surprised if youre charged 50 Euros for a 10 minute trip.

Yeah, we got screwed over on the taxis. The exchange rate is hard to get used to. I almost got in a fight with one of the drivers over the cost. Bastards...

Swede54

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
how much does it cost you to go on a little eurotrip?

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Swede54
how much does it cost you to go on a little eurotrip?
Airfare- about $900 US per person,
Hotels- about $2500 for 17 days (2 ppl)
Food- ???? maybe $400ea.
Entertainment- maybe $500-$1000ea.
Misc.- $500 ( I like art and antiques...could be a little more!)

$3,500-$4,000 per person I would say