Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Employer asked me to leave early day after giving 2 week notice- Why do they do this if I'm "great and can come back"

GeeMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just ranting I already googled around and found out it's very common companies do this and even perp walk the employee out ....I'm going to coding Bootcamp here in Houston 11/5-3/10 to get hired as software developer. I've been working at a warehouse since June(entry level $11.27/hour position). I told supervisor and hr chick on Tuesday about leaving and that I want last day to be 11/5. HR chick told me to write officially in email the resignation. Yesterday supervisor tells me it got "approved early" and I can leave this Sunday 10/20 as last day...he said it's because of end of year budgeting in his department and they're fully staffed.

I'm obviously pissed as I lost out on 2.5 weeks of pay so I ask if I can go to another dept. So I asked HR today and 45 min later im asked to come into operation manager office where the HR chick and my supervisor were sitting with. Manager told me that he heard I'm confused and tryed to clear everything and told me I can actually go NOW. So today not this sunday was my last day. He told me I can come back in future as it's on them as I already put resignation and they no longer needed me and that I'm a great guy no hard feelings. I hate that they can't tell me the real reason, I'd actually respect him more. My supervisor who I was cool with told me I can contact him after Bootcamp finished and he'll open up position for me to come ...but really I could care less but might as well try between school/getting first software developer position if there's a gap.

I'm wanting to be a software developer hopefully in March although could take longer so like that's a higher pay scale but the situation annoyed me. I walked out with grace shaking their hands, clearing locker, and went to gym for a great workout and just got out now lol. I have to find out to make money to save for the 16+ weeks I'll be broke whole attending full time Bootcamp. So far im applying for Uber

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
Once you put in a notice like that you become a liability. Dont take it personal dude. This is business. Take it as a lesson

Always stay 10 steps ahead, plan your moves. I only put in my notice when that job has served its purpose and i have given 1 months notice before as well.

Also keep in mind maybe u rubbed someone the wrong way, or u just sucked at your job or didnt meet standards. The point is it doesnt matter u dont need a reason from them. But do some self reflection and later on in hindsight it will be revealed to you why things went down this way.

GeeMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Once you put in a notice like that you become a liability. Dont take it personal dude. This is business. Take it as a lesson

Always stay 10 steps ahead, plan your moves. I only put in my notice when that job has served its purpose and i have given 1 months notice before as well.

Also keep in mind maybe u rubbed someone the wrong way, or u just sucked at your job or didnt meet standards. The point is it doesnt matter u dont need a reason from them. But do some self reflection and later on in hindsight it will be revealed to you why things went down this way.

Ok so this is the first time I quit because of going to school. If it was better job opportunity, I would've put notice AFTER having job lined up like I did previous job. How about next time I don't give a notice and leave the last day I want to leave like most people do.I wanted to be positive and professional about it as I'm content in life right now. I wouldn't be in this situation if I did that. Only bad thing would be I wouldn't be able to come back nor use them as references. In this particular case warehouse isn't relevant to software developer so it didn't matter. However when I'm in my industry i'm going to have to def give notice especially when leaving first position to have as references for future positions. Only thing I need to remember is to have a job lined up before giving notice which I usually do.

It makes me wonder when I start my hot shot trucking business(aiming for within 2 years of first software job) I'm going to have to be bulls****** like big companies do? I think I'm going to be more transparent about things but still professional to avoid illegal employment loopholes, etc.

GeeMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just ranting I already googled around and found out it's very common companies do this and even perp walk the employee out ....I'm going to coding Bootcamp here in Houston 11/5-3/10 to get hired as software developer. I've been working at a warehouse since June(entry level $11.27/hour position). I told supervisor and hr chick on Tuesday about leaving and that I want last day to be 11/5. HR chick told me to write officially in email the resignation. Yesterday supervisor tells me it got "approved early" and I can leave this Sunday 10/20 as last day...he said it's because of end of year budgeting in his department and they're fully staffed.

I'm obviously pissed as I lost out on 2.5 weeks of pay so I ask if I can go to another dept. So I asked HR today and 45 min later im asked to come into operation manager office where the HR chick and my supervisor were sitting with. Manager told me that he heard I'm confused and tryed to clear everything and told me I can actually go NOW. So today not this sunday was my last day. He told me I can come back in future as it's on them as I already put resignation and they no longer needed me and that I'm a great guy no hard feelings. I hate that they can't tell me the real reason, I'd actually respect him more. My supervisor who I was cool with told me I can contact him after Bootcamp finished and he'll open up position for me to come ...but really I could care less but might as well try between school/getting first software developer position if there's a gap.

I'm wanting to be a software developer hopefully in March although could take longer so like that's a higher pay scale but the situation annoyed me. I walked out with grace shaking their hands, clearing locker, and went to gym for a great workout and just got out now lol. I have to find out to make money to save for the 16+ weeks I'll be broke whole attending full time Bootcamp. So far im applying for Uber
I forgot to mention that I actually got injured at this job(broke right pinky) like 1 month within, gone for 2 months, came back in September, and been doing stuff. I'm 100% sure they see me as liability but because I've heard of many people who get asked to leave early before notice last date who don't have injury, its possible it still would've happened.

evan12

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

They think if you are leaving most likely you will not work hard and you might even cause some damage, so it is better to let you go, never let them know you are leaving unless you are ready to leave.

GeeMale

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
They think if you are leaving most likely you will not work hard and you might even cause some damage, so it is better to let you go, never let them know you are leaving unless you are ready to leave.
Yup! Never making that mistake EVER AGAIN.

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
Do they give two weeks notice before laying someone off? Do they give a severance when they do?

Companies expect notice when one is leaving. Yet don't do the same to employees being laid off.

When I’ve worked for companies like this, there is no notice from me because of the very thing you are talking about.

but then, my industry is quite brutal about it. I remember once being laid of Christmas week. It was some years back.

Xenom0rph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No disrespect intended but what I'm about to say is the truth: at this point in your life, you're not (yet) important enough for them to incur the expense of keeping you around longer than they have to.

You're a warehouse worker so you dont have any specialized skills that you need to train anyone else so they dont need to keep you around.

If you were a white collar office staff (or higher up on the food chain) they would let you stay the 2 weeks so you could train a replacement.

Let this be a life lesson. Go to the boot camp. Pursue your dream of being a software developer so that someday you'll be so high up on food chain that companies will BEG you not to leave.

But you absolutely did the right thing by walking out gracefully and politely. Dont ever burn bridges because it's a small world out there and you never know when you're gonna need help from former colleagues...

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
Ones only power only lies in high production of high quality products.

The idea of getting a career and then retiring is long dead in this modern world. It’s a trap.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Two weeks' notice is standard etiquette and it's unprofessional for them to do otherwise, even at a warehouse job. The reason is money, of course, and yeah it's just business, not personal. But it reflects poorly on them.

I got laid off years ago and my boss was cool enough to give me two weeks' extra pay plus vacation paid out. For that reason (and others) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him as a boss.

Your company is penny pinching, plain and simple. Anyway, now you know better than to go back to them.

Epic Days

Banned
Reaction score
Your company is penny pinching, plain and simple. Anyway, now you know better than to go back to them.
Indeed. Seen it so many times that it’s common. In my industry it’s standard operational procedure.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just trip and fall right before you clock out for the last time. Oh my back! Work comp!

Is that dirty? Of course. But companies that treat workers that way deserve anything you can devise to stick it to them.