Egg White Question

Hockey Playa

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So i have never been quite sure on what egg whites were(like how u seperate the yolk and white), but i was at the grocery store, and purchased a little carton of egg whites. Its looks like a miniature milk carton, and it says equivalent to 16 eggs. I was wondering if it was safe just to pour about a quarter of this stuff into my protein shakes. Is that what you guys mean, when you talk about adding egg whites to your shakes?

I-tallionStallion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You could do that....you could even just drink out the bottle. But in essence you are leaving out the yolk which is the best part of the egg. And you are paying extra for them to take out the yolk. Start buying the whole eggs, and crack them into your protein shakes and blend it. (just not the shell). That is what we are talking about, not sissy egg whites ;)

talrock

Don Juan
Reaction score
I-tallionStallion said:
You could do that....you could even just drink out the bottle. But in essence you are leaving out the yolk which is the best part of the egg. And you are paying extra for them to take out the yolk. Start buying the whole eggs, and crack them into your protein shakes and blend it. (just not the shell). That is what we are talking about, not sissy egg whites ;)
:up:

Cooking eggs destroys most of what is good about them if you ask me (nutritionally speaking).

On average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. At this rate, if you’re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well he's not looking to eat egg whites just for fun. He likely believes that the dietary cholesterol in the yolk is bad for him.

Read this.

Also if you still want to consume egg whites only, have fun with your biotin deficiency :) The substance of egg whites requires your body to use its own biotin to break down and absorb, doing so for awhile can lead to a biotin deficiency.. Funnily enough, the egg yolk is loaded with biotin. That's a topic for a different thread, and shouldn't even be necessary if people just ate their egg yolks.

Heart Break Kid

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quik is right. Plus as talrock says; 1 out of 20,000. If you are healthy and fit salmonella is far from the end of the world too.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im not debating, eating yolks are bad for you, i just thought it could be good for a change, to just eat the eggs whites in protein shakes.
You can't debate truth man..

Anyways, if you want to eat egg whites in protein shakes, do this:

Buy a dozen eggs from the store, crack them all into a bowl, take an ice cream scoop and spoon all the yolks out. Then just take the bowl and pour it into your shaker bottle. Once you've done that, take the discarded yolks and send them over to me :D

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The egg whites bought in store are fine to drink as they will almost definitely have been pasteurised which denatures the protein responsible for preventing the absorption of biotin.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Quiksilver said:
Also if you still want to consume egg whites only, have fun with your biotin deficiency :) The substance of egg whites requires your body to use its own biotin to break down and absorb, doing so for awhile can lead to a biotin deficiency.. Funnily enough, the egg yolk is loaded with biotin. That's a topic for a different thread, and shouldn't even be necessary if people just ate their egg yolks.

This biotin thing only applies to raw eggs because cooking eggs deactivates the avidin that binds to the biotin in egg whites that makie it biounavailable.

Take your decent quality multivitamin some other time of day and allow with the rest of your diet and you'll get enough biotin.