Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

eBay, diablo, and the cops...

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, the title might have been a bit misleading... I'm an eBay powerseller, and also a trader's assistant. Basically, I'll take things of other peoples and sell them for a commission. I've been doing this on the side (in addition to what I normally sell for myself on eBay) for almost a year now... it doesn't make very much profit but its nice to have.

So moving on... this morning I get a call from someone claiming to be from the Louisiana Auctioneers Licensing Board. He told me that as a Trader's Assistant I was in violation of a Louisiana Statute... and wanted to arrange a time for me to meet with him in the next week to discuss how I could go about becoming in compliance with said law. I immediately thought that it was a scam - I mean, I can see competing TA's calling each other saying "Pay up for a licensing fee or get out"... seems pretty shrewd, actually... however, I told him I'd check him and the LALB out, speak with my attorney (my father), and get back with him later. Basically "Go screw yourself and I'm getting my lawyer".

I did some internet research, found newspaper articles regarding the LALB (as well as some saying that local eBay sellers were upset about it...), and verified he was who he said he was. I then talked to my dad who said what I'd been thinking - if the costs of getting licensed were more than what I'd been making, it wasn't worth it... so, it wasn't worth it. He also told me I should call back and tell them that I didn't mean what I'd said earlier about 'going and screwing themselves'. I had to shut down my TA profile and send a letter stating that I wouldn't do business for others without becoming registered with them.

It sucks, though - while it wasn't much money, money is money regardless of how little it is... every penny helps. Apparently Louisiana is one of the only states in the US that regulates people selling stuff for other people on eBay... you'd think with Katrina and Rita they'd have something better to do then call some college kid out to make a few extra bucks a month, but apparently not... but I guess they have to have their finger in everything...

Here's some info on it:

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...oods+on+consignment+to+sell+at+auction"&hl=en[/url]

http://www.lalb.org/

http://www.beantowntradingpost.com/ebay_regulation/

http://www.beantowntradingpost.com/ebay_regulation/state_details.php?state=LA

italostud

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Heh, they sound like mobsters in disguise. "We get a cut of whatever you make in this neighbourhood, punk!". I'd recommend suprising them. They are expecting you to be on the defensive right now...Instead, I would take an extreme offensive position and carbomb all of the top guys. Maybe burn a couple of their houses down too.

A-Unit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re:

Diablo,

I read your post the first time and assumed you meant "stock trader" and could have seen where the problem with dual jobs and no disclosure came from.

But this, THIS...is b.s.

I have the same 'crack down' in my profession. Holding securities licenses requires me to disclose EVERY activity I do that makes money of any considerable sum that I might report tax wise. Moreover, the SEC/NASD has the ability to tell me to shut those down if in some way they may improperly influence my career, a client, or be of some nuisance to them...

Bottom line...it's about control, and IMO, the gov just puts laws up as barriers to entry for guys like you trying to make a buck in WHAT was a free country. Who knows maybe you become the next Gates of Auctioneering?

In any event, the extra pennies are a tidy sum for some adult beverages and 'lady friends.'

A-Unit

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what college do you go to diablo?