Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Eating and muscle mass

slaog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Is what you eat important in gaining muscle mass?

I bought dumbells the other day and I'm starting to use them. They are 8kg's each. I want to bulk up a bit because I had big arms and shoulders/neck etc when I was in my late teens because I was lifting heavy things in work. Now I'm gone skinny. So I'm just trying to bulk up to what I was before.

I do eat alot and plenty of meat so I'm wondering if should eat more? Should I stuff myself or does it matter if you don't want to become too big?

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slaog said:

I bought dumbells the other day and I'm starting to use them. They are 8kg's each. I want to bulk up a bit because I had big arms and shoulders/neck etc when I was in my late teens because I was lifting heavy things in work. Now I'm gone skinny. So I'm just trying to bulk up to what I was before.

I do eat alot and plenty of meat so I'm wondering if should eat more? Should I stuff myself or does it matter if you don't want to become too big?
More than ever. Actually, other than rest, there's nothing more important in building muscle besides your diet.

Protein, Protein, Complex Carbs, Healthy Fats.

This is an extremely simple explanation of a muscle building, fat cutting diet. Healthy fats meaning olive oil and other healthy oils. Protein meaning lean meat; chicken, lean steaks, and fish. Complex carbs meaning veggies and oats (oatmeal is acceptable).

Eat lots and lots of healthy food and you will see results. If you don't eat, your muscle will only eat itself.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
8kg dumbells won't do much to help you. Get yourself to a gym.

Smack

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
8kg dumbells will only get you so far. So far being absolutely no where. Join a gym.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
slaog said:

Yes, absolutlely.

In order to gain mass, the body needs sufficient nutrients to build and expand the muscle fibers. Otherwise you place yourself in a deficit position, and cannabilize muscle tissue.

In order to gain mass, you must eat sufficent amounts of overall nutrients, but specifically protein. As protein you consume is the substrate that your muscles are made of.
In order to GAIN mass, and not just MAINTAIN it, you would be advised to consume at least 2 grams of Protein per pound of lean body weight per day.

If you are 160, but with say, about 10 pounds of fat on you, you want to consume 2 x 150= roughly about 300 grams of protein per day.
The reason being is that your weight training routine, if its a good one, and you properly follow specifics, will require the consumption of that much protein to build and expand muscle fibers. Again, depending on how you are activiating your muscle fibers, and how strong the anabolic signals you are creating in your body.

You can get your protein sources from different foods. It doesnt all have to be protein shakes.
vary your food intake, and watch your fat and carb intake too.
Fat intake is usually easier to be somewhat lax with, especially healthy fats.
But carbs, since they can be so varied across the GI spectrum, will be more challenging to control.
You want to gain muscle mass, not pounds of fat.

Also, as you stress your body you will also need sufficinet micronutrients, ie, vitamins and minerals, in particular antioxidants, B comples, and ZMA.

You need to define what 'bulking up' means to you. Dumbbells by themselves cannot make you gain mass. A quality training program using perfect form and reps and sets can. You must also acknowledge that you will plateau if you only use one set of weight for each body part. So you eventually , if more fuller development is your goal, must realize you may have to incorporate heavier weights and different methods, like using barbells, bench exercises, cables and other machines for more fuller development.

You will not, as of yet, magically turn into Ronnie Coleman.
So please dont think that at this level you will somehow get 'too big'.
You cant. So please dont concern yourself with 'I dont want to get too big' anymore.
Follow a good bodybuilding program, paying attention to your shoudlers, lower back, knees and elbows, to set up a program for more varied types of programs. Please dont just train chest and biceps every day, like so many guys do.
Inform yourself WELL on which types of exercises and programs will be beneficial for you and your goals.
There are specific training principles which are used in all training programs wether a powerlifter, or asthetic professional body builder.

I do eat alot and plenty of meat so I'm wondering if should eat more?

You need to eat sufficient and adequate amounts of meat. So you must define HOW MUCH more. Clear out the vagueness and inform yourself on diet programs for gaining muscle mass.

Should I stuff myself or does it matter if you don't want to become too big?

You should 'stuff' yourself with higher quality foods which promote health and longevity, and are beneficial to your bodybuilding physique goals.
And right now, you simply cannot get too 'big'. You may just get really fat.
So please, again, let go of the notion of "getting too big'. You dont even know how,so you cant.
Good luck, man.
I wish you success in your fitness and physique goals.
:) :up: