Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Dress to Impress - Part I

PatZull

Don Juan
Reaction score
-=-
Read, believe, apply at your own risk!
I'm forced to write this, because some of my knowledge may not be accurate, because I've gained it through many sources, some of which may not be correct or may be old! Feel free to reply! Don't whine at me for any mistakes, but correct me politely so I can edit the post! Feel free to add! Thanks!
-=-

Dress to Impress
Part I: About Textiles

-= Introduction to series =-

Since I joined this site (forums), I have started buying new and better clothes. I have also observed my old clothes - why they are no good any more, why did they lose color, etc.. I have also spoken to a lot of people on different styles and textiles. I have thrown many new clothes because they shrank or lost their normal shape and/or colors.

I start this series to give you some knowledge on clothes (if you don't have it already of course) and to see if everything I know is correct. Feel free to add new things and correct me!

-= What are textiles =-

Here are a two definitions from different sources:

"1. A cloth, especially one manufactured by weaving or knitting; a fabric.
2. Fiber or yarn for weaving or knitting into cloth."
-- http://www.dictionary.com/

OR EVEN BETTER

"Textiles, generic term (from Latin texere, “to weave”) originally applied to woven fabrics, but now also applied to natural and synthetic filaments, yarns, and threads as well as to the woven, knitted, felted, tufted, braided, bonded, knotted, and embroidered fabrics made from them; and to nonwoven fabrics produced by mechanically or chemically bonding fibers."
-- Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003.

I think Microsoft did a great job expalining it fully. I don't have anything to add, lol :)

-= What are fibers =-

"Fiber, fine hairlike structure, of animal, vegetable, mineral, or synthetic origin. Commercially available fibers have diameters ranging from less than 0.004 mm (0.00015 in) to 0.2 mm (0.008 in) and they come in several different forms: short fibers (known as staple, or chopped), continuous single fibers (monofilament), untwisted bundles of continuous filaments (tow), and twisted bundles of continuous filaments (yarn). Fibers are classified according to their origin, chemical structure, or both. They can be braided into ropes and cordage, made into felts (also called nonwovens), woven or knitted into textile fabrics, or, in the case of high-strength fibers, used as reinforcements in composites—that is, products made of two or more different materials..."
-- Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003.

-= Some textile fibers explained =-

ALWAYS READ THE CARE LABELS OF YOUR CLOTHES.

Cotton
1. No one still knows how old is the cotton. Pieces of cotton cloth have been found in caves in Mexico that are at least 7,000 years of age. At the moment cotton is the most used fiber.
2. Cotton fabrics are soft and have perspiration absorbing ability, which makes them comfortable to wear.
3. Cotton wrinkles easily. But nowadays garments are made using special technologies, which makes them more wrinkle resistant. They can be ironed.
4. Cotton garments can be machine washed, but to preserve their color use warm or cool water. Bleaching is not suggested, because it weakens the fibres.
5. Cotton clothes tend to shrink up to 5%. Before buying ask if the garment has been washed and be aware of the risk of more shrinkage.
6. Avoid tumble-drying.

Wool
1. Wool is a great isolator, which keeps the heat close to the body. It can repel small amounts of liquids, like light rain or snow.
2. Wool clothes are not easily spotted by grease, so they don't need cleaning/washing after each use.
3. Wool garments are best to be dry cleaned, but as technology progresses washable clothes are also being made.
4. Wool can shrink! But combined with some synthetic fibers it can be made shrinkage resistant. Chemically treated wool against shrinkage is also know as superwash wool.
5. Wool is considered a luxury fiber, so some garments can be expensive.

Silk
1. Silk is considered strong for a natural fiber.
2. Silk fabrics are warm in the winter, but still comfortable in the summer.
3. It's recommended that silk clothes be dry cleaned, because water can leave spots.
4. Sunlight can damage and yellow the silk fabric.
5. Silk fabrics are not wrinkle resistant.

Linen
1. Linen clothes are comfortable and stylish for the summer.
2. Linen can be spotted easily.
3. Linen garments wrinkle easily, but they can be ironed with no problem.
4. Clothes made from linen can be machine washed, but that slowly damages the fiber, so dry cleaning may not be a bad idea.
5. White and beige are the most common colors for linen garments.

Nylon a.k.a. Polyamid
1. Nylon is used in mixture with both wool and cotton, adding strength and wrinkle resistance.
2. Nylon/wool and nylon/cotton blends can even be tumble-dried with minimal to no shrinkage.

Acrylic
1. Similar to nylon, though not so strong, acrylic adds more flexibility and shrinkage resistance.

Polyester
1. Polyester adds washability and durability (used mostly in children's clothes).

-= Textile caring =-

Since I'm a beginner (I'm learnning) on that topic, I'll post links to sites, feel free to add more!

AskMen.Com - Taking Care Of Your Clothes

Learn to launder

AskMen.Com - How To: Do The Laundry

Learn to iron

AskMen.Com - How To: Iron Your Clothes
AskMen.Com - Ironing Tips For Bachelors

Ill_Nino

Don Juan
Reaction score
How to make black shirts not to fade?

Yeah, does anyone know how to keep black shirts from fading when you wash them? Cotton black shirts ofcourse.

PatZull

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ill_Nino: Try lowering the temperature. For cotton the suggested is 30 degrees centigrade. You can also try turning your shirt inside out before washing. That's all I can think of at the moment.