Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Drag Racing

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by undesputable
[Bby the way i dont really see the SRT hitting 11s....its hard to imagine it breaking into the 12s....you might get the horsepower but with a fwd is really hard to put that power on the ground... [/B]
You could hit the 12's if you're now in the high 13's -- in a 2500-lb. car you'd have to add about 100 hp through the whole rev cycle, so it would take some serious mods, but it's doable. I've seen WRX's in the 12's.

I think that a lot of people don't understand how fast 11's are. The difference between mid-13's and mid-11's is like the difference between 18's and 13's. And the chasm between 11's and 10's is the same, if not bigger. After my first run with this setup I couldn't stop my hands from shaking.

Ferraris run in the 12's. Porsche Turbos, Maseratis, and stock 'Vettes run in the low 13's. I read somewhere that the Lamborghini Diablo runs a high 11. This is with professional drivers.

With the last incarnation of this car -- before the supercharger and the stroker -- I was running 13's on a good light. That's with a twin-carbureted tunnel-rammed 5.0 HO with an X cam and 289 Shelby heads, Mickeys, a 4.11 rear, and a bad@ss shifter setup.

It took another $8000 and two summers of busting my knuckles and beating my head against the garage wall in frustration nearly every weekend to get into the 11's. I wouldn't do it again.

Let's talk 10's for a minute.

Running solidly in the 10's is a whole other world. A very expensive, dedicated world. I don't doubt that you could trick out an aluminum block 4-cylinder to run in the 10's, but I would wonder how long the engine would put up with that kind of abuse. You're talking at least 500 rwhp -- all through the power band (as opposed to peak hp or what you get with your NOS shot) -- for a 2000-lb. car, and a small aluminum block (or a two-bolt main V8) just doesn't have the sense of humor to take that kind of abuse. I run a 4-bolt main and forged steel internals, and I'm only pushing 500hp at WOT.

Then there's the brakes you need to safely run a car that accelerates into the 10's. . . . I'm in the 11's and I had to design my own. I can't imagine what it would cost to have a brake shop do it.

A lot of guys think that they have a car that's in the 12's, or can get into the 12's because they have a friend who says that THEIR car is in the 12's. The kid in the Neon thought he was going to be in the 11's because he had just put a bodykit and new plug wires on his car. I'm not kidding.

At the track, I've seen two guys in the tens who didn't have corporate sponsorship or who weren't professional engine builders. Just FYI.

All I'm saying is, if you're reading this and you want to be Fast & Furious, go for it. But before you get your hopes up, head down to the track and watch some people. Don't take their word. Watch the readout at the end of the track, and keep it real. You'll save youself a lot of heartbreak.

Keep your foot in it. :cool:

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

by the way i dont really see the SRT hitting 11s....its hard to imagine it breaking into the 12s....you might get the horsepower but with a fwd is really hard to put that power on the ground... If i were you id leave the SRT as it is, and get a RWD

you know what-
you are absolutly correct..thanx :D

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/timeslips.php

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bullmoose
A lot of guys think that they have a car that's in the 12's, or can get into the 12's because they have a friend who says that THEIR car is in the 12's. The kid in the Neon thought he was going to be in the 11's because he had just put a bodykit and new plug wires on his car. I'm not kidding.

At the track, I've seen two guys in the tens who didn't have corporate sponsorship or who weren't professional engine builders. Just FYI.

All I'm saying is, if you're reading this and you want to be Fast & Furious, go for it. But before you get your hopes up, head down to the track and watch some people. Don't take their word. Watch the readout at the end of the track, and keep it real. You'll save youself a lot of heartbreak.

Keep your foot in it. :cool:

...i know the feeling quite well...
i went to the track for the first time in a my car and in the mags
it was clocked in at anywhere from 13.6-13.8

first run-14.7!
took me a while to get it down to 14.0@100+

got the upgrade..
13.8@100+
while everyone else was hitting anywhere from 13.2/13.5
-DOH! :crackup:

back to the drawing board...

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's called sarasam ...:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

people have been hitting 11's for quite some time now.
I just did it to prove a point :rolleyes:

those lil cars are absoulte monsters when suped up
and it DOSEN'T take alot of money to do so.

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you'd be suprised ,most if not all of them are daily drivers-
full on interior and street legal with a big ol' turbo!

the top end is completly insane- i've heard about people
doing 160mph W/basic mods

-though i have never tried myself :cool:

B-Lemond

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bullmoose
Powershifting -- shifting with no clutch at wide-open throttle -- vs. clutching will cut an amazing amount of time off your quarter, but if your car has a rev limiter you can't do it; also, your engine will jump out of your hood all over the track if you miss a powershift.

How the hell can you shift without pressing the clutch? The damn thing will probably stall, or it will DEFINATELY make some noise that's probably not good for the car. SO how can you possible shift without pressing the clutch?

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
powershifting is when you dont let go of the gas and you dont press the clutch either....it could ruin the whole trasmission so i wouldnt try it on my car.

immrtlwun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bullmoose, you got any pics of your car? It sounds like a bada$$ ride. I wanna know if it looks as good as it sounds like it should.

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bluelemond
How the hell can you shift without pressing the clutch? The damn thing will probably stall, or it will DEFINATELY make some noise that's probably not good for the car. SO how can you possible shift without pressing the clutch?
It's a feel thing. I completely fvcked up a Saginaw 4-speed -- stripped 2nd gear completely -- learning to do it on my first car (1970 Chevelle 396) but I've been doing it for so long now that I just feel it. For me, it's as natural as driving with a clutch. I can powershift in my Saturn (daily driver), too -- my clutch went out shortly after teaching my kid sister to drive a stick, and I powershifted all the way to the shop.

^ ok then why not just get an automatic? And yes some automatics red line.

An automatic won't shift fast enough or let you redline high enough to pull the most out of your engine. It just won't. The way the hp and torque curves lie on small engines, you often need to be way the hell past your redline and bordering on valve float to be at your max, and new cars simply won't let you do that. That's what rev limiters are for.

When powershifting, the gears go BAM! BAM! BAM! as you charge through them. Zero lag. And you have to have a seriously built tranny -- and engine -- to take it. An aluminum engine and gear set will be shrapnel if you fvck up a powershift at WOT. Even if you hit all your powershifts, the flywheel could break loose at any time and cut your foot off like a giant Skilsaw blade. Seriously. Racing trannys have scattershields (forged steel bellhousings) for this reason. One more reason to THINK before tricking out your car -- it is stupid and dangerous to beef up the induction and leave the rest of the powertrain stock. I'm all for going as fast as you can, just safely.

PM me for pics. I prefer my anonymity. It was parked outside Belltown Billiards tonight, BTW.

Can we get back to talking about pvssy, now?

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
..damn, i don't know about that...

i don't see how the clutch could enage each gear without
opening up it's teeth to grab onto it (the next gear)
That just sounds like it'll fry both the clutch and the tranny.

i'd rather WOT shift ,where you keep your foot to the
gas pedal the entire time and shift really quick (using the clutch!)
but even that is still pretty bad on the tranny.

i'd take an automatic, nothing wrong with them really.
just takes more work to make'em fast.
nothing that a good gear ratio and a high stall torque converter
can't fix.

it's just i'd rather take a manual from the factory and it's
more fun to downshift and do i have to mention the control?

the RX-7 i had only had three workable gears with a overdrive
button, and it would suck when i could'nt get it in the
right power grove ( it redlined at 7500 RPM )
and if i didn't shift it just right i'd drop ALL of the boost
and it would take forever for the turbo to respool.
Plus the overall boost levels were low in the autos.

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/ekim/mike-rx7.jpg

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by organizedconfusion

the RX-7 i had only had three workable gears with a overdrive
button, and it would suck when i could'nt get it in the
right power grove ( it redlined at 7500 RPM )
and if i didn't shift it just right i'd drop ALL of the boost
and it would take forever for the turbo to respool.
Plus the overall boost levels were low in the autos.

http://flathat.woodstream.net/ColumbusRacing/ekim/mike-rx7.jpg
why would you have an automatic RX7? and by the way cant those 7s go up to like 9k rpm.

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
why would you have an automatic RX7? and by the way cant those 7s go up to like 9k rpm.
i haven't seen one ..ever and when i did- i jumped on the deal!
..i wished i hadn't but that's life!

mine being automatic only went up tp 7500 rpm
which really didn't matter since it was an auto and
i couldn't jam through all of the gears.

manuals went up to 8K rpm but i think it allowed it to
go 8500 i am not sure.

the new RX-8's redline @ 9k but are completly torqueless
so you really have to winde it up and keep it at a
high RPM or you'll loose power.

http://www.antandpete.com/Photos/RX-8 in rain.JPG

they were a flop because they marketed them at 250 (crank)hp
and people were pissed off that when dynoed they
were only getting measly 160-165 WHP out of them.
(20 HP loss through drivetrain maybe ,but almost 100?)
:crackup:

nice cars, looks good -but no real power.handles like
a dream from what i hear and if you got
a lead foot and running from someone through the twisties-
this car may be the one for you...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0305_frst_rx8/

0-60:6.5 secs 1/4 mile:14.5@95mph
if the car is really only 160+ WHP then thats pretty quick
for an all motor 1.3 liter (some say 2.3)
with some mods it'll definetly see 13's ,but i doubt into the
12's without a turbo...but then again i could be wrong.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
im a mazda fan and im really dissapointed by the RX8 performance wise. Its NA but its got a pretty high compression rate so a turbo is not really a good idea on the renesis. RX7 still rules over the 8. with some mods they can run low 11s and 10s, but its a pain to take care of the rotary engine. People like putting LS1s (corvette engine) and they run low 11s, and hearing a deap roaring american muscle sound in a japanese car is just confusing but its cool.