Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Drag Racing

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
anyone here on this site into drag racing?

as for my ride the SRT-4-
i am working on getting maybe a Mopar Stage 3 kit with toys
with full bolt ons. i have heard them making good times(12's)
but nobody dipping into the 11's as of yet.
and 10's is still pretty much uncharted territory.

maybe-who knows, i may also consider a 50 trim or
ported turbo. people are using 60 trims but thats HUGE.
dynoing at 400+ whp.

as far as running on the highway goes my 4th gear
is quite the highway killer 100-140 mph and the 5th gear
145-160.

it's fun from a roll but from a launch it just frys the tires and
a high HP FWD car isn't the easiest to launch.

best time:13.8@103 mph with crappy launch and bad tires
2.3 60 times were killing me!!!

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont know anything about racing but I bought a rxs type s and race civics on the highway :D

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what are your mods right now? 13.8 isnt too bad. I didnt know the srt was a front wheel drive. i hate FWDs. why dont you get a RWD and put any money that you were going to put into the SRT?

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the funny thing is i was doing the SAME all stock-
most are hitting 13.5 on the mod i have;
Mopar Stage 2 turbo upgrade -which is basicly a new ECU
waste gate, fuel injectors and senors.
i am all stock otherwise.
my trap speed averages 101-103 so i am happy.

i did'nt really mind FWD at first.now i HATE it.
280lbs. of torque to the front wheels is no fun at all :(
i can only imagine 400...

once i hit 12's flat i'll be set (most likely be next year).

Mr. Delicious

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Its still hard to launch on rwd too if you dont have good tires :(

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
I run a vintage T-top 'Stang with a stroker 5.0L H.O. (4-bolt main, 3.25" stroke, Eagle H-beams, KB domed pistons, 5.4L / 331ci total displacement), GT-40 heads port-matched to Hedman headers, 2.5" cutouts, custom-ground Delta roller cam, 4:71 roots blower, and dual 450cfm Holley vacuum-secondary quads under an original Hilborn dragster scoop that sticks up 16" out of a hole in the hood. SN95 T5 tranny with a short-throw shifter. Low 11's on a good light, mid 11's consistently, with a 9" 4.11 locker rear and a set of Mickey ET streets. My dad hit the tens in it once, 10.992 at 117 mph but the torque from the launch broke the back window. On the street I roll on 4-bolt 245/15's and a 3.0 open rear, which is about the only break you're gonna get if you rev against me at a light. :trouble:

I usually run it a couple of times a summer at the street legals and for grudge matches. I ran Pro-Comp a couple of years back but bracket racing isn't my thing; I'm a heads-up guy.

It is also my rollin' ride / date car. It's funny; there's always a crowd around my car at a club, no matter how many WRX's and SRT's there are in the parking lot. :D

About 500 rwhp/450tq @ peak.

All work done by owner -- electrical, body, paint, everything. If you took your car to a shop to have it tricked for you, I don't want to talk to you about your ride. If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lol torque steer lol

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a fan of AUTO X and road racing. I leave dragging to the children and rednecks. Next fall I plan on attending an evolution/ skip barber racing class:woo:

I live for the twisties.

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SELF-MASTERY
I'm a fan of AUTO X and road racing. I leave dragging to the children and rednecks. Next fall I plan on attending an evolution/ skip barber racing class:woo:

I live for the twisties.

what kind of ride do you have?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys, how does drag racing work? I've always had the idea it was about 2 guys stamping their foot on the accelerator. Is there some kind of skill to it?

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely. How much time do you have?

There are two types of drag racing. Bracket racing, and heads-up.

In bracket racing, you try to have your car hit a certain time -- say, 11.5 seconds -- *every time* you race. The guy next to you may have to hit 11.8 seconds with his car. Whoever gets closest to his time wins. The trick to bracket racing is consistency -- reaction, launch, steering, shift points -- it's very difficult. The cars are organized into "brackets" by their times so that you don't get spanked too badly.

Heads-up racing is the old-school stuff. Most tracks run a heads-up night once or twice a month in the spring and summer. Heads-up is simple: one light, two lanes, two cars. Whoever hits the 1/4 mile marker first wins, and there's a computer with a printout to prove it.

Reaction time and launch is the big thing in heads-up. The first 80 feet of a quarter mile heads-up race usually decides the race. This is also why big engines (or $50,000 small engines) rule the quarter; torque owns that first 80 feet.

Then you have to know how to shift without blowing up your gearbox -- when your adrenaline is pumping and your heart's going 150 beats per minute you have to make sure you hit all your shifts. Powershifting -- shifting with no clutch at wide-open throttle -- vs. clutching will cut an amazing amount of time off your quarter, but if your car has a rev limiter you can't do it; also, your engine will jump out of your hood all over the track if you miss a powershift.

Finally, you should have a pretty good idea of what your engine actually does and how it works so that you don't destroy it.

It takes practice and study to go fast. I've been building muscle cars since I was about 14, and growing up there was a strip of road to nowhere outside of town with the 1/4 miles marked off in white paint. I learned to powershift before I learned to parallel park.

Typically at heads-up night the drivers will bet -- $5 to $20 per race, my dad and I bet each other a beer or a hot dog. I once ran against a Neon and the kid bet me $100. I wouldn't take his money; he ran 17 and change.

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by organizedconfusion
those 5.0's are bad a$$
It's not much of a 5.0 anymore; it's a dual-quad, blown 5.4.

The 5.0 in and of itself isn't that great of an engine; the hp and torque curves were so high up the RPM band that the 5.0 is a dog off the line unless you've got a monster rear end. I like the 331, though.

nice time but whats with the trap speed?
some SRT's in the mid 11's are averaging in the 120's

High-torque, fast-launching cars accelerate harder; they'll generate faster quarter times on slower 1/4 trap speeds -- but far higher 1/8 mile trap speeds -- because they're moving faster earlier in the run. This is why we don't race against imports on the street; a half mile later he blows by you at 160mph and says he "won." We call this the Loser Flyby, BTW.

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i remember last summer at the track- registering my car as
a "neon" ,so naturally they pitted me against the six other neons
there that paticular day.
everyone was running 16-18's@80MPH and i was clocking in at 103+ MPH. :cheer:
fans who didn't know the difference were looking at the
car like it was on crack.:crackup:

...i was then pitted against firebreathing trans ams and camaros
for the rest of the night :mad:

the top end must be nutts in your Mustang-

i remember racing a suped up Mach 1 and we were
head to head pretty much til mid third were has just
started pulling hella hard and left me.

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
The top end of this engine is putting out about 500 rwhp at 7100 rpm, and the torque will lay rubber from a 40 roll. Past 5000 it's like having a wild animal under the hood. Roller cams are sweet.

I won't get into a pi$$ing contest with the import crowd; I know there are faster imports out there -- NOS shots and downpipes and chips and $50,000 racing engines and "My buddy has a Ferrari that'll smoke you" -- but there's nothing like old school muscle. It's just cool. It's unique (because I built it -- no one else has anything remotely like it around here), and fast, and says "Bad Boy" louder than the trickest import. I've bent more chicks over the hood than I can count. Hike up that skirt and grab the chrome, baby. . ..

organizedconfusion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah , tell me about it.
my buddies got a GSR B16 turbo/swap in a stripped hatchback (1,500 lbs.)and he's running something like low 10's.
eventhought it's street legal it rides like a bucket and
would resemble a crushed pepsi can in a wreck!

but man is it fast.

V-8's are bad a$$,i was planning an LS1 swap into a 94 Mazda RX-7 chassis-but it was costing me a fortune so i just sold the chasis.
... and got a "neon" :D

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
BTW, 13.8 is not bad for an import with mild mods.

PM me; I know some tricks to help you with your 60' time.

Mr. Delicious

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bullmoose
but there's nothing like old school muscle. It's just cool. It's unique (because I built it -- no one else has anything remotely like it around here),
Thats because you live in Seattle. Down here 70% of the cars at the track are old school muscle :crackup:

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bullmoose
a half mile later he blows by you at 160mph and says he "won." We call this the Loser Flyby, BTW.
yea thats the ricer flyby as i like to call it.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mr. Delicious
Its still hard to launch on rwd too if you dont have good tires :(
no a RWD launches a lot better. At the very beggining the FWD has a little bit of an advantage because there is more weight on the wheels that are being powered, but as the car speeds up the weight transfers to the back, and thats when the RWD has the advantage....so a fwd has the advantage for the first few feet and then the RWD takes it from there. not to mention the torque steer on the front wheel drives, and understeer around curves. around curves as well RWDs are way better, and oh that so orgasmic feel when the back end of the car breaks loose....thats what im talking about.

by the way i dont really see the SRT hitting 11s....its hard to imagine it breaking into the 12s....you might get the horsepower but with a fwd is really hard to put that power on the ground... If i were you id leave the SRT as it is, and get a RWD