Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

dontmarry.com

Jay Gatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
Interesting essay on the pitfalls of marriage. Much of it has been posted here and on other boards, but it is interesting nonetheless to see it again for positive reinforcement.

http://www.dontmarry.com/

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A better one is ...

... nomarriage.com.

While I'm in support of marriage in certain aspects, I support the nomarriage.com theory of only marrying foreigners, as their values have not been skewered by our man-hating society.

I would marry an American woman only if she was really top-notch in the kindness department and was at the top of her game in the fitness and intellectual areas. Good luck finding that in this country ... pass the Hostess woman!

While I've been bashed for saying this, the dontmarry.com guy re-affirms what I've been saying:

Stupid Men
Men are severely abused in our media, quite frankly. Just watch TV commercials/sitcoms and see how many reflect men as idiots. (If they had commercials like that about women, people would have a fit.) If it wasn’t for their wives they would be lost "animals". Other commercials who make it appear that men act without thinking, impulsively and irrationally, and the wife is the brains of the family, which in reality is not always true. Even many women will agree, women often are the ones who act on emotions, and make judgment solely based on emotional attachments, rather then logic and reason.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The basic theory of the essay seems to be in favour of co-habitation rather than a legally binding marriage.

But can anyone think of why any woman would agree to this instead of the safety net of marriage (and the huge cash settlement if something goes wrong)?

Jay Gatsby

Don Juan
Reaction score
Questions to ask yourself before getting married

1. Is your girlfriend overly possessive/jealous?

When a woman decides that you’re the one she wants to marry, she almost never ask you to marry her, but she will try her hardest to foreclose your other options when it comes to other women. Although this should not be completely unexpected, it may be a sign of insecurity and feelings of inadequacy. A woman who knows her worth will not fear competition, just like you know yours when it comes to her having options among other men.

2. Does your girlfriend have a life outside of her relationship with you?

A woman usually has a core group of girlfriends with whom she can talk about “girly” things and complain about you. If she doesn’t, that is a sure sign she will resent the time you spend alone or with your friends. She may likely harbor feelings of abandonment, and may guilt you into abandoning your hobbies, friends and time alone in order to keep her happy or otherwise amused.

3. How frequent is sex?

A woman typically wants sex as much, or more than a man, particularly as she approaches her late-20s and early-30s. However, if your girlfriend dictates how often the two of you have sex, or uses sex as a means to manipulate you, things will not improve once you get married.

4. Is the “proposal pressure” increasing?

A woman will not put pressure on you to propose marriage unless she herself is getting pressure from family or friends. Such pressure is a sign that she is easily influenced by her family and friends in major decisions, and that she’ll continue to accept their input on major decisions once you get married. For example, a woman will often discuss the issue of getting pregnant with her mother or her closest friend(s), but never with you. Once she’s decided that she wants kids, she’ll conveniently forget to take a couple of doses of birth control (thereby rendering the cycle ineffective) or stop taking it altogether. You’ll find out that she wants kids when you get the “honey, guess what, I’m pregnant” speech.

5. Is she messy?

Contrary to popular belief, a woman can be just as messy as a man. Makeup, toiletries, hair, dirty clothes, and other detritus find their way onto mirrors, countertops, floors and even shower tiles. Just because she is clean and polished doesn’t mean her place is. This is often the reason why a woman won’t take you back to her place. If she can’t keep her own place neat and clean, that’s a sure sign she won’t help to keep the marital home in an acceptable condition.

6. Does she have her own money and a career?

A woman without ambition to pull her own weight is deadweight. If she has no passion for what she does for a living, no ambition to improve herself professionally, and has no money, she will depend on you to provide her with the lifestyle to which she would like to become accustomed. Likewise, if she has credit card debt or other financial obligations, those become yours when you tie the knot. A good way to put the brakes on any marriage pressure is to insist that she clean up her credit and eliminate consumer debt. If she is resistant to the idea, she’ll likely continue to rack up credit card debt, and try stick you with the bill.

7. Can she handle the pressure?

In your relationship, your girlfriend has probably looked to you to make the hard decisions that affect the two you, and sometimes just her. However, a strong woman will be able to handle situations where you’re not around. Thus, it makes sense to find a way to put your girlfriend in a situation where she will be forced to make a decision without you.

8. Does she try to change or control you?

Change can be good, but it is never good when it is imposed on you by someone else. You should change only if you want to change, not because your girlfriend wants you to change. Likewise, just because you’re in a relationship that doesn’t mean you’ve ceded control of your time and energy to your girlfriend. To the contrary, your time should still be your own, and you should spend time with her when you want to, not when she demands attention. You’re not a dog, and your relationship with your girlfriend is not an experiment being conducted by a Russian scientist named Pavlov.

Doro Ajani

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jay Gatsby,

Thanks for the link. I was reading the websites referred to in the article regarding the public relations work that DeBeers paid for.

http://www.zacheverson.com/Op-Ed/Business/diamonds_are_for_suckers.htm

The initial strategy

How did De Beers create the diamond brand? And, more importantly, how did it sustain it? De Beers controlled supply and used research-based behavior-change strategies to build demand. And it sustained demand by monitoring its business goals and objectives, as well as market trends, and adjusting its strategies accordingly.

Ayer’s initial strategy was to strengthen the association between diamonds and romance. For young men, they set out to instill the idea that diamonds were a gift of love: the larger and finer the diamond, the greater the expression of love. Similarly, young women were encouraged to view diamonds as an integral element of courtship. 5 Tactics under this strategy included

writing (or re-writing) scenes for Hollywood movies that injected diamonds into romantic relationships between men and women 6

giving diamonds to movie stars to use as symbols of indestructible love

placing celebrity stories and photographs in magazines and newspapers to reinforce the link between diamonds and romance

using fashion designers to talk on radio programs about the “trend towards diamonds”

asking the British royal family to foster the romantic allure of diamonds (Britain had a large interest in the diamond industry)

commissioning artists like Picasso, Dali, and Dufy to paint pictures for advertisements, conveying the idea that diamonds were unique works of art 7
Within three years of the launch of the first De Beers campaign, diamond sales in the United States increased by 55 percent and an estimated 80 percent of wedding engagements in the country were consecrated with diamond rings.8 Looking back, Ayer noted that the campaign marked “a new form of advertising which has been widely imitated ever since. There was no direct sale to be made. There was no brand name to be impressed on the public mind. There was simply an idea — the eternal emotional value surrounding the diamond.” 9
Our minds have really been fvcked over...

Doro Ajani

Austin Allegro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Matt Rogers
The basic theory of the essay seems to be in favour of co-habitation rather than a legally binding marriage.

But can anyone think of why any woman would agree to this instead of the safety net of marriage (and the huge cash settlement if something goes wrong)?
Because cohabitation is the next best thing. In England at any rate, cohabitation is almost compulsory as a precursor to marriage. Women know that a lot of men don't want to get married, so they can suggest cohabitation as a low risk alternative. The man agrees to this because he gets sex on tap (at first) and lower rent/mortgage.

After a while, though, his options get cut off, he gets comfortable and the woman can start trying to pressure him to marry. Once kids come along or the relationship starts flagging, the man has few options but to propose, because otherwise he has to leave the comfort zone.

Cynical, but I've seen it happen.

Matt Rogers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh dear, Austin, I would not put it past the female of the species. I suppose the only choice is to be a player all your life without any kids (at least not legitimate ones!), or get married with all the accompanying risks discussed in this post and many others on this board. I have heard many people say that having kids is the only logical reason to marry, and am inclined to agree.

WestCoaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The diamond thing is amazing ...

... but like anything and everything in our society, it's not QUESTIONED because no one is paying attention. They're just lock-step into what society tells them.

A commercial on TV last year said something to the fact that the man knows that getting a ring is going to cost two-months salary (minimum!) ... another f-cked-up statistic just thrown out there to the U.S. public that is bought lock, stock, and barrel.

Even a few of my friends have mentioned this stat when getting married. I'm like, "Why is that? Why does it have to be two-months salary?"

They said, "That's just the way it is."

Gee, suppose a commerical tomorrow said the best way to impress your woman is by jumping off a cliff ... I swear to God half the AFCs in this country would jump and the other half would debate doing it.

It's f'n amazing.