Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Does too much confidence scare people?

OrioleMagic

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have noticed sometimes I feel so confident that I feel other people are scared of me? Sort of like hyper masculinity. Has anyone else noticed that. For instance, I got my hair cut today, and the hair stylist would hardly look at me, and I've got my hair cut there before and she was talkative, but I was not feeling very confident those times. Do you think hyper masculinity scares some people?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hopefully you attempted to start a conversation with her especially since you are a regular customer, right? If that's the case yes; another person's confidence can be both attractive and intimidating depending on who you're interacting. If it's the latter, it's a good thing to be the first to initiate an interaction. What do you have to lose; why waste confidence?

Macgyver

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You confuse confidence with ****iness. Hyper Masculinity is ****iness.

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mini FR: mall@1pm
2, 20ish clothing clerks@Macy's check out counter

HB8: Did you see his stance? He looks too confident or sure of himself (her leaning back imitating me)
HB6: Ya....
HB8: He's cute, but a little too short for me.
Me: (looks over, smiles) LOL!
Them: (shocked that I overheard)

There you have it folks. You can be confident, but don't forget to smile after they're observing you for a while. Or they think you're too full of yourself. I learned my lesson. :rock:

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you were truly confident you wouldn't care what the other person thought of you.

flexion_

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Confidence doesn't cause this kind of problem - look for another cause.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think I know what OrioleMagic's getting at. I've had friends accuse me of "dripping with testosterone" and "oozing manhood". They've pointed out that people are "scared" of me because they don't know how to interact with/react to such "Hyper-masculinity".

Very recently, I've been introduced to several new people. Those people initially hated me and discounted me as an a$$hole. Then, upon further interaction, did complete 180's and liked me a lot. Why? Because my honesty and straight-forward demeanor put them off at first, but after more exposure, they realized that my confidence was not ****iness. They commented things like "Wow, you're really honest!" and "I've never had anyone say that to me before." My confidence empowers me to not tollerate bullsh!t treatment. When you couple confidence with honesty, the result isn't necessarily "diplomacy". In fact, I'm pretty coarse at times; blunt, if you please. And, since people are normally non-confrontational (women especially), they quickly give you a label because they do not want to "deal" with you (or, more accurately, don't know HOW to deal with you).

Yes, I can be diplomatic, I HAVE to be for my professional conversations. But, I don't need to suck someone's a$$ just to have a recreational conversation. Hey, if you don't want to talk to me, don't. I'm not going supplicate and grovel at your feet just to exchange some words. Pay attention to how neutral conversations are. Noone seems to want to offend or disagree with someone else's viewpoint. B.S. If someone is full of sh!t, I tell them so, and, tell them why. If someone is wrong, I tell them so, and, tell them why. Since I don't ask if it's ok to disagree or apologize for being right... I guess that makes me an a$$hole? One can sit back and say: "Vulpine, you don't have any converational skills." The truth is, I don't care to have wishy-washy conversations. What's more, I don't feel like using 800 words to say what should only take 40. Call me lazy? The point is, people are used to having bland, blah blah blah conversations. When someone speaks colorfully and strongly, it's like spicy food: some people just don't have a taste for it. People's feelings get hurt when you are confidently outspoken. Furthermore, people are shocked or offended by honesty and straightforward interaction in such a politically correct world.

I'm dwelling on the conversational, I want to touch on being an Alpha in general. People don't like to feel inferior. Consider at a pack of wolves for example. The Alpha is routinely getting nipped at and challenged for the position. With modern humans, people constantly belittle and slight alpha males in attempts to "dethrone" them and ascend in status. So, when you are smiling, confident, and eminating a strong presence, other alphas or alpha wannabes will try to take you down a notch. Betas, on the other hand, will sit back quietly and observe - scared of such a righteous being... maybe utter some cracks under their breath.

So, OrioleMagic, I think that what we are calling "hyper-masculinity" is just plain being a man. In this day and age of the feminized man, "real men" are few and far between. Given that "real men" are such oddities now, yes, people are freaked out when they meet one. "Real men" are so rare, it's easy to see that we are not the social norm. People don't know what it is about you that makes you so "odd", so they slush you into the "a$$hole" category with the other unknowns.

Ultimately, I think resilient is on the right track. If you are a bone-crusher, don't fux with me alpha male with the "I'm a man - with several cans of whoop-azz to prove it face" on, surely people are going to be intimidated. However, if you are the smiling, jovial, I-don't-give-a-fux alpha, people aren't nearly as threatened by you. So, something as trivial as a smile can completely change someone's whole perception of you.

I've been working on taking this "fear" as a compliment and trying convey a more approachable and amicable persona. The perma-smile is something that I've been really striving for. To achieve it, I've been cutting loose the negativity in my life and accepting who/what I am.

Maybe you're in a similar place OrioleMagic?

:D

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Macgyver said:
You confuse confidence with ****iness. Hyper Masculinity is ****iness.
If he was "****y" and done it the "correct way"...she would have being "flirty" with him. I'm ****y when I'm around some women...and I'm also charming. And yes, in some instances, I'm an azz. LOL.

There are three things that typically get confused:
Confidence
****iness
Arrogance

In my view, there a very thin line between confidence and arrogance. That thin line is called ****iness.

Confidence is always good. Or should always be good. But sometimes can be a little intimidating. A confident person feels he is in the zone. That he can get things done. And he does them without stepping on others (unless he has too).

Arrogance is literally evil. An arrogant person view himself as better than anyone else and tries to belittle others.

****iness is different and typically works well under TWO venues:

1- Sports

2- Flirting

Too much ****iness can become arrogance. Less ****iness can become confidence.

xmlenigma

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've had some rare experiences here..

- Direct approaches..
- Strong direct EC
- Powerful relaxed BL

Depending on your audience.. and how they perceive themselves compared to you (your value level due to your confidence.. confidence is a VIBE).. they could get intimidated.

I've been on the other side when at work with a senior exec, it was a little intimidating.

From a my reports..

- Walked into store, approached a perfume girl and asked questions about her..(very implicit direct) she gave me her number, but the 2-5 mins we talked she was twiddling her legs (rubbing thighs) against each other in a nervous manner i.e. like when little kids want to go pee.

- Walked over to a woman DIRECT.. shark style.. her, her friend, 2 wannable amog guys were blown out

- THIS WAS THE GRAND FINALE OF INTIMIDATION:
-EC, Smile, Eyebrows..
- Super relaxed, confident walk, heavy EC..
- She's like.. "what?"
- I like the way you carry yourself.. its different.. elegant..
.. hold hand.. ask about her.. want to know u...
- Several times she'd say yes.. and write down her email on a piece of paper.. gave it to me.. I gave paper back to her.. I'll call you.. I do email for work.. I dont want to look at the computer again.. 5 times she puts paper back in my hand.. and says "email me". I ask her whats wrong.. is she afraid I am a stalker or something.. back n forth..
"You intimidate me".

I was blown away by how an HB can get intimidated by a very chill & confident vibe. Its as if she is afraid to let go and knows that she would be overpowered / overwhelmed by your energy.. ur confidence.

xmlenigma

Don Juan
Reaction score
Confidence is felt, never visible. Confidence is not something you do, there is no seeking external approval or verbalization of confidence. It is how you ARE.

Arrogance is visible. Arrogance seeks approval..from others.. either +ve or -ve approval from others. Arrogance is verbalization or externalization of your ****YNESS and OVER CONFIDENCE.

e.g.:

HB - So you think you are gods gift to women?

Confidence:

- I dont know, its not worth dwelling on

Arrogance:

- Yes, I am.

But the same 2 things can be said in the opposite ways as well.

Its how you PROJECT/ SUB COMMUNICATE IT.

Confidence is subtle & humble.

Arrogance is loud & reeks of self pride.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good Looking Woman- "So you think you are gods gift to women?"

Confidence:

- I dont know, I never thought about that.

Arrogance:

- Yes, I am.

****iness:

- {smiling and in a flirtisious way} What are you talking about? I'm a god...but with little "g". {then wink and smile at her}. Just kidding! {with another smile}

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The highest compliment a woman can give a man is to say ",..you're such a guy." I had a 20 something hottie tell me this in the studio a couple of weeks ago after listening in on a conversation I was having, to which I said, " yes I am." I got IOIs for the rest of the shoot with this girl until she asked me to go out for drinks with her & some friends to which I said "sorry, this guy's spoken for" and flashed my wedding ring.

I think a lot of what is interpreted as a strong sense of self-confidence gets misconstrued as arrogant ****iness (different from C&F) and bloated self-importance by a growing number of guys - not girls. Our understanding of what a positive expression of masculinity represents has become so distorted over the last 30 years that men (particularly ones prone to walking on eggshells around women) have lost what it is to be confident and what it is to be passive/submissive. Too many years of single mommies raising Nice Guys and masculine role models like Ross from Friends or Ray from Everybody Loves Raymond makes just peeing standing up an act of brutal masculine pride. Trust me, it's guys who get their panties in a wad over another guy's displays of confidence, so it's time to go re-think what constitutes vanity and what the actions of a confident, positively masculine man are.

As far as this applies to women all you have to do is remember the golden rule: Confidence is COVERT, arrogance is OVERT - women always respond better to COVERT communications.

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
xmlenigma said:
Confidence is felt, never visible. Confidence is not something you do, there is no seeking external approval or verbalization of confidence. It is how you ARE.

Arrogance is visible. Arrogance seeks approval..from others.. either +ve or -ve approval from others. Arrogance is verbalization or externalization of your ****YNESS and OVER CONFIDENCE.

e.g.:

HB - So you think you are gods gift to women?

Confidence:

- I dont know, its not worth dwelling on

Arrogance:

- Yes, I am.

But the same 2 things can be said in the opposite ways as well.

Its how you PROJECT/ SUB COMMUNICATE IT.

Confidence is subtle & humble.

Arrogance is loud & reeks of self pride.

Well put.

arrogance:
The act or habit of arrogating, or making undue claims in an overbearing manner; that species of pride which consists in exorbitant claims of rank, dignity, estimation, or power, or which exalts the worth or importance of the person to an undue degree; proud contempt of others; lordliness; haughtiness; self-assumption; presumption.

Basically, it's embellishing your greatness and ramming it down someone's throat.

Arrogance:
"Don't I smell great!?"

Confidence:
"......." (but you're thinking: "mmm... I smell good")

good versus great, said versus thought

zergkiller

Don Juan
Reaction score
Confidence, confidence, and red, red roses.

I'm really glad someone brought this subject up. I don't know whether or not my comments will help anyone, but I am a degreed engineer, tri-lingual, and have been in 15 countries and lived outside the US for five years. I'm licensed by Primerica to be a fully trained financial coach and I'm also a travel agent to be able to travel cheaply.

My own sister, who did all the class work for a PhD in history (but didn't do the thesis) told me I'm scary. Later on, she changed that to "intimidating" and "sooo sophisticated".

Now I don't know if you would call me "****y" or "masculine" or even "confident", but it sure does make it tough to talk much to ordinary people. Until my sister told me that, I had always prided myself in being able to talk to anyone. But I never did understand why people would talk behind my back and scheme against me when I never did anything to them. Maybe it is jealousy.

It seems that there is some crossover point after which, you are no longer common and you just attract enemies. And since most beautiful women live only on their beauty, they are afraid of me. Finding a woman who is at the same time beautiful, rational and mentally stable? Like Wheeling West Virginia, it's a hard job.

Of course, when I DO meet an intelligent, beautiful woman, then IIIII’m intimidated, which may have something to do with my presence on this site.