Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Does cardio really eat up muscle?

Reaction score
Does it? I haven't heard this anywhere but here on sosuave. Even then, I have seen people post it does and that it doesn't. I want to be muscular but I also want to do some long distance running, since it something I always wanted to be good at. So what, I can't be Mr. buff and handsome, and be an awesome long distance runner too? Really want this cleared up.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No, but it eats up calories and your body is stimulated differently. In order to build muscle you need lots of rest and intermittent periods of extreme stress on the muscles.

Reaction score
Espi said:
You're gonna likely get a lot of different opinions about this. And, if you Google for it you'll get a lot more variety of opinions.

My opinion is that long distance running and musclebuilding do not mix. Building muscle is challenging enough--it takes consistency and considerable effort for a non-LDR'ing man to eat right and train. Few people will stick to it. Add in LDR'ing, and, in my opinion, you make the goal of musclebuilding even more challenging because you're expending two things that most people must have in order to build muscle: energy and calories.

In my opinion, there's a reason you rarely--if ever--see muscular elite Marathon runners.

I think you should focus on one or the other. Or maybe balance the two endeavors by doing moderating them to lesser extremes.
I'm don't want to be some awesome marathon runner, just have the ability to have a nice 20min-30min run. I always had a crappy cardio endurance and run out of breath way too fast. It's one of the reasons I want to pickup running. I guess you guys would run out of breath if you tried to run a mile.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This question lacks purpose ...

Do you want to look like a bodybuilder? If so, what cardio do bodybuilders do? What cardio do they NOT do?

Want to be a runner? How muscular are they?

Who cares if cardio burns muscle.

If you're after muscle, then look at the cardio bodybuilders do.

Hours and hours of low intensity cardio (65% max heart rate) per week.

Occasional barbell complexes too.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you can still maintain some muscularity and do your 20-30 minute runs, but not daily. There is a threshold where too much cardio will be detrimental to muscular gain. In really simple terms, muscular tissue requires a lot of perfusion. If you are constantly subjecting your body to aerobic demand, it will begin to curtail the increase in muscle mass and eventually start to reduce your muscle mass through metabolic processes.

So the short answer is, you cant be a jacked marathon runner. You CAN be muscular and be in great cardio shape....but that depends on what your definition of "great" and "muscular" are.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Social Leper said:
How else would you explain the build and fitness of boxers, American footballers and rugby players?
At the non-genetic-freak level?

Dedication, nutrition, years in the gym ... and dianabol.

I have been down the strength training + lots of cardio road. I got stronger, fitter, faster ... but not bigger. To get bigger I had to taper back the cardio.

If you're training to get big pretty muscles at a reasonable bodyfat, then a mix of strength training/volume training/low intensity cardio seems to work best for MOST people ...

If you're training for a particular sport, then your physique may suffer because of your requirement for anaerobics/aerobics.

Most top athletes in any particular sport do not have the best physiques, and remember, they are in the top 5 percentile as far as genetics go, and in the top 1 percentile for dedication.

Also, most top athletes in sports where muscle mass is important are on a range of pharmaceuticals.

--

A happy 'sweet spot' seems to be maintaining about 12% bodyfat while increasing muscle mass, performing about 3-6 hours of low intensity cardio (brisk walk = 65% max HR) per week. Training program varies every 6 weeks from strength training to volume training, with a 1 week deload in between. That is for physique, not competitive sports.

tyciol

Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe this only happens if you are extremely depleted of energy. Unless you were on a massive cutting diet I doubt running is going to ruin muscle, especially if your body is building it out of a perceived need.