Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Does any of you lives or lived in the american suburbs?

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Im european and we dont usually have such things here, actually the most wealthy residential areas are in the city centre, thats where the rich people lives generally.

I often see suburbs in american movies, it seems to me watching it from outside that those are areas for middle and upper middle classes with plenty of space, private parking place (often a private garage) and streets that dont see outsiders driving in.

Can you share your experience about living in such places? what are the pros and cons?

Billtx49

Reaction score
Cons-Even suburbs have traffic congestion during rush hour.
Depending on location, lack of clubs and bars.
Pros-5 mi. from large boatable lake.
Most major restaurant names within 4 mi.
7 mi. from major baseball and football franchises.
2-3 car garages and driveway when living in a house or condo.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
Im european and we dont usually have such things here, actually the most wealthy residential areas are in the city centre, thats where the rich people lives generally.

I often see suburbs in american movies, it seems to me watching it from outside that those are areas for middle and upper middle classes with plenty of space, private parking place (often a private garage) and streets that dont see outsiders driving in.

Yeah pretty accurate.

Can you share your experience about living in such places? what are the pros and cons?
I've lived in the suburbs my whole life. Little to no public transportation. Pretty much everybody has a car.

My house has it's own garage and driveway. Street parking is allowed but not usually necessary if you have a driveway and/or garage.

We have primary/main roads with restaurants, banks, stores, etc. Secondary roads often have residential areas.

Pros: Not as congested as cities. Traffic, while it can get busy, is still typically less than cities. Usually lower crime than cities.

Cons: Not so good for singles. It's mostly geared for families and older people. Much less nightlife. Most "bars" are really restaurants that serve alcohol.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've lived in various burbs for 20+ years. There are some burbs that are better than others for various reasons.

Pros:
  • More space
  • More Cleaner(it may vary)
  • More quiet
  • Generally you can have your own driveway/easy parking/garage
  • Lawn space(could be a con if you don't like maintaining the grass)
  • Good area to raise kids
  • Good Parks and recreational areas
  • Less crime(generally)
  • Less congested traffic than city centers
  • You don't smell pee when walking on the sidewalk
  • People in the burbs will generally be more trusting and give you the benefit of the doubt as there tends to be more scammers in the city centers
  • Better service at restaurants and stores(depends on the burbs)

Cons:
  • Mostly couples and families. Little to no single people in the burbs.
  • It can be boring
  • Lack of independent and ethinic restaurant choices(will vary by burbs)
  • Everything shuts down on the earlier side compared to the city center
  • You have to drive everywhere
  • You might have stupid city laws or association laws to abide by(keeping grass short, not being able to wash your car in the driveway, etc)
  • Neighbors you might not get along with or ones that are too nosey
  • You may smell skunk instead when walking down sidewalk
  • Lighting can be poor in some areas
  • Less attractive people living in burbs as they let themselves go more frequently
  • People are more stupid or have less "street" smarts in the burbs

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You can't live in america without a car unless you live downtown in a big city, where parking a car costs almost as much as your car payment. Also remember that the vast majority of americans live in small cities that do not have suburbs.

I come from south america and I've lived in europe as well. There is one thing you see there that you don't see in the suburbs: tall buildings.

I find that americans loathe to build up unless it's absolutely necessary, they would much rather spread out and have a yard and a garage than live in a sardine can.

I have never lived downtown anywhere I've lived, and I have no idea why anyone would want to. Most downtown areas of large US cities are more dangerous places to live now. Most of the rich people who lived in NYC have moved out because of it. The suburbs are somewhat immune to these problems.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have a lot of space but it's boring - that was my experience anyway.

Bokanovsky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

There are a number of pros to living in the suburbs. You live in a detached house, with a private garage and a backyard ("the American dream"). You have lower crime rates, safer schools for the kids, and less diversity (although many people these days like to pretend that the latter is not a factor for why they choose to live in the suburbs, in reality it is very much a factor). The main cons are the the distance from the entertainment and business areas and the "subdivision feel" (boring generic architecture and lifeless empty streets).

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cons:
  • Mostly couples and families. Little to no single people in the burbs.
This is why I live in a central city neighborhood. I need to be close to other single people.

The Millennial generation is not forming families. There are a lot of childless 30 something Millennials right now. As the 2020s progress, there will be a lot of 40 something childless Millennials. With fewer families being formed, who will eventually live in the suburbs? Some older singles might eventually make to the suburbs.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in a NJ suburb of NYC.

Suburbs in the northeast (Philadelphia, NYC, Connecticut, Boston) are a little different than most US cities. Most of them started as towns that were connected in the early days of railroad. In 2020, those small towns are now like little cities, all with their own downtowns and a train station that has been converted to commuter rail. You kind of don't really feel like the "burbs" in other places.

For my particular suburb:

Pros:
-Garage
-Grass
-Very low crime
-Cheaper real estate
-Public transit to NYC & Newark Airport
-Close to beach
-Beautiful parks, homes & golf courses
-All major chain restaurants and retailers close driving distance
-Dozens of small Businesses located in the town's "downtown"
-"Downtown" is walking distance
-Extremely quiet. Only can hear crickets and the occasional faint train horn

Cons:
-Only a few major bars downtown that open to Nightlife
-Beachside bars are highly seasonal - Memorial Day to Labor Day
-Girls in NYC don't always agree to make the trip
-Train to NYC is long (1 hour)
-Lots of seasonal traffic
-Expensive Real Estate
-Tolls to get on the only major highways (GSP and NJ Turnpike)

Georgepithyou

Banned
Reaction score
It's nice to be around nature and big open spaces, but for a social life or convenience it is terrible since everything is far away

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I live in a suburb in Virginia where literally nothing is far away. You simply drive out on the main road and everything is on it. Walmart, Target, every store you'll never see in the city, more fast food options than the city, more restaraunt options than the city, movie theaters, ice skating rink, indoor gokarting, etc. City is only 15 minutes away. Way more stuff here than 90% of suburbs.

The neighborhood is fairly quiet. Wide low traffic roads with excess parking, plus driveways. Decent sized yards. Lot of dog owners walking there dogs. Plenty of singles in the suburbs here. They are either roommates or living in parents' large house. Many houses have over 2,000 square feet. Kids tend to play in the roads on bikes or basketball. (They quickly move over when a car comes through)

Romanemp22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

I don't know from which part of Europe you are but in my city there are suburb areas. Everyone owns a house and a garage.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know from which part of Europe you are but in my city there are suburb areas. Everyone owns a house and a garage.
Well clearly any major city as an outer part where there is more space and houses with gardens and such but its very unlikely to find itwell planned and built suburbs like in the US, also thats not where the upper classes live.

Romanemp22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well clearly any major city as an outer part where there is more space and houses with gardens and such but its very unlikely to find itwell planned and built suburbs like in the US, also thats not where the upper classes live.
I disagree. There is a suburb in Belgrade called Dedinje where only upper class aka rich people live. Musicians, politicians etc. Houses are villas basically. I'm not from Serbia BTW.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I disagree. There is a suburb in Belgrade called Dedinje where only upper class aka rich people live. Musicians, politicians etc. Houses are villas basically. I'm not from Serbia BTW.
I mostly lived in western Europe except for poland when I was younger, dont really know about minor countries so cant tell.

I can assure you however that wealthy people in london and rome live in the centre where most services are and this is evident in home prices.

Romanemp22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I mostly lived in western Europe except for poland when I was younger, dont really know about minor countries so cant tell.

I can assure you however that wealthy people in london and rome live in the centre where most services are and this is evident in home prices.
That's true. I was in London few years ago and what I noticed is the city is almost devided by parts, one half is rich part, cool cars etc, and the other are very poor. Also there are a lot of homeless people I saw out there. Western countries and the mortgage system I guess.

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Living in the burbs isn't always a financial status thing. It boils down to individual preferences. Everyone is different.

For example, where I live around, there are plenty of CEO's, celebrities, pro athletes that live in the burbs close to mine. Reasons can range anything from more space, privacy, better schools, better family environment, less crime, anonymity, etc.

Romanemp22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Living in the burbs isn't always a financial status thing. It boils down to individual preferences. Everyone is different.

For example, where I live around, there are plenty of CEO's, celebrities, pro athletes that live in the burbs close to mine. Reasons can range anything from more space, privacy, better schools, better family environment, less crime, anonymity, etc.
Are you from the US? I have a question