Does America/Australia have an "alpine" military corps?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A friend of mine from up north in Scandinavia said he recently got into the alpine corps. From what I've heard, these guys get to ski AND fight a war. How cool is that? (To think I spend up to $200 for a week's skiing)

I can't recall if the US or Australia has stuff like that. Do they?

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No.

I was in the norwegian army, and trust me when I say this. IT S*CKS!!! It's totally pain in the ass to go cross country skiing with a 50 kg packpack at the top of a ****ing mountain.

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Australian SF guys train in it, but it's only a small area of their expertise, we don't have any units dedicated to it. There's no point - you can't ski in the desert.

Create Reality

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys ever hear of a motorcycle paradrop unit? My friend told me about this once but it was probably bullsh1t

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm, I think I'll stick to paying for ski passes. X-country skiing on mountains is tough already, I can't see myself lugging a full backpack up.

Hey since Norway has the world's highest standard of living, do you guys get thousands of Russian refugees flooding through the north border?

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes.

They commit petty crime so they can spend a couple of months in norwegian prisons, as the living conditions and the pay is much better than in russia.

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
This kind of training is very mission- or theater-specific; certain units will train especially for this.

American units and MOS's that would need to operate under these conditions and hence may be trained accordingly would include:

USMC Recon

USMC Counterintelligence

U.S. Army 10th Mountain Rangers

U.S. Army Special Forces

U.S. Air Force Pararescue

U.S. Air Force Forward Air Controller

U.S. Navy SEALs

Centaurion

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A couple of years back the SEALs were over in Norway for Joint Winter (NATO winter excersise). They got totally raped by a regular Norwegian unit.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bullmoose
This kind of training is very mission- or theater-specific; certain units will train especially for this.

American units and MOS's that would need to operate under these conditions and hence may be trained accordingly would include:

USMC Recon

USMC Counterintelligence

U.S. Army 10th Mountain Rangers

U.S. Army Special Forces

U.S. Air Force Pararescue

U.S. Air Force Forward Air Controller

U.S. Navy SEALs
USMC counter intel? Makes no sense there
US Army 10 mountain Rangers? Just plain 10th Mountain. Rangers are a whole Regiment on their own.
the 10th specializes in cold weather warfare. Skis are part of their life. Rangers do whatever is needed to get the job done.

What webpage did you pull this list off of? This guy got his **** mixed up and needs to stop spreading this around.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Centaurion
A couple of years back the SEALs were over in Norway for Joint Winter (NATO winter excersise). They got totally raped by a regular Norwegian unit.
What do you expect? A foreign unit fighting in someone's back yard while unfavorable conditions are present. Sounds like they started off the mission with a strike against them.
Each unit has their own Niche where they excel. Not every unit can be the ultimate bad ass in every situation/environment.

bullmoose

Don Juan
Reaction score
US Army 10 mountain Rangers? Just plain 10th Mountain. Rangers are a whole Regiment on their own.
the 10th specializes in cold weather warfare. Skis are part of their life. Rangers do whatever is needed to get the job done.

What webpage did you pull this list off of? This guy got his **** mixed up and needs to stop spreading this around.

No web page.

I was USMC, not Army. If I got the Ranger thing screwed up, my bad. I've heard them referred to as "10th Mountain Rangers" more G0ddamn times than I can count and frankly, don't care enough to get it straight. (ARMY: Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet.) :woo:

As for counterintelligence, it just goes to show how little you actually know. So STFD and STFU and you'll learn something, here. Counterintelligence (CIT) is part of the 0200 (Intelligence) family. It's MOS is 0211, and it's only available to more experienced Marines. Generally you have to have re-upped, you need fluency in at least one foreign language other than English, and outstanding work in a SOC (Special Operations Capable) MOS before you even get considered for the CIT training pipeline.

CIT operates all over the world. When I was in the Corps, CIT was bundled along with Recon and Intell in what we called SRI -- Surveillance, Reconnaissance, & Intelligence. There's been so much fragmentation and reorganization of the command structures that I don't currently know how the Intell community is organized.

211's are sometimes assigned to DIA and/or CIA operations in counterterror, counternarcotics, and counterintelligence, and typically operate in plainclothes; their job is "Locate, Identify, and Neutralize Threats to Ongoing Intelligence Operations." Cloak and dagger shyt. I know for a fact that some of them work in high mountainous regions, as I know one who went to the Mountain Warfare Training Center and operated in Kashmir. The guy is an avid skier and claims he learned how to ski when he was operating in India; it's how they got around from FOB to FOB up there.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0211.htm?terms=usmc+0211

Do a little homework next time before you Tom Clancy readers start telling those of us who've been there what's right and what's wrong.

Jesus, I don't even know why the fvck I post on this board anymore.

NYtomb

Don Juan
Reaction score
Actually hero you need to STFU before you start calling people out when you know nothing of my military background. You have no clue who I am and right then and there. I worked with Army Counter Intel Agents and AF OSI Agents in Iraq and Afghanistan. Never had the privilege of working with NCIS but I have heard good things about them from these guys. Ive been on several war time deployments in addition to peacetime stuff. Ive been in since I was 17 so I have a bit of time wearing the uniform and I dont read tom clancy books for my info.
You are far from an expert and admit yourself that you dont know how intel is currently organized so STFU. A lot of assets get attached to various units. We had Airforce Weather and AF TACP attached us at various times as well as working with some USMC ANGLICO guys down in the Najaf/Hillah area. That doesnt mean they are one of us or are blanketed under all the skills my former unit operates under. IUsing your logic I share the same skills at a Tactical Air Party, ANGLICO member or Combat Weatherman because I worked with them. Just because someone may work with 1st Force in the mountains as a intel direct support doesnt mean its their main job. Get that right. You telling me some E-4 admin support guy in 1/10 in Stuttgart is an SF soldier too because he works with SF? Grow up and quit living a fantasy.
Good job on trying to start **** between the services little man. I have nothing but respect for anyone who wears the uniform whether they are a door kicker or a supply sgt. My best friend is intel in OKI with the USMC and due to the nature of my job I made friends with members of all of the services and several foreign units.

Originally posted by bullmoose

No web page.

I was USMC, not Army. If I got the Ranger thing screwed up, my bad. I've heard them referred to as "10th Mountain Rangers" more G0ddamn times than I can count and frankly, don't care enough to get it straight. (ARMY: Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet.) :woo:

As for counterintelligence, it just goes to show how little you actually know. So STFD and STFU and you'll learn something, here. Counterintelligence (CIT) is part of the 0200 (Intelligence) family. It's MOS is 0211, and it's only available to more experienced Marines. Generally you have to have re-upped, you need fluency in at least one foreign language other than English, and outstanding work in a SOC (Special Operations Capable) MOS before you even get considered for the CIT training pipeline.

CIT operates all over the world. When I was in the Corps, CIT was bundled along with Recon and Intell in what we called SRI -- Surveillance, Reconnaissance, & Intelligence. There's been so much fragmentation and reorganization of the command structures that I don't currently know how the Intell community is organized.

211's are sometimes assigned to DIA and/or CIA operations in counterterror, counternarcotics, and counterintelligence, and typically operate in plainclothes; their job is "Locate, Identify, and Neutralize Threats to Ongoing Intelligence Operations." Cloak and dagger shyt. I know for a fact that some of them work in high mountainous regions, as I know one who went to the Mountain Warfare Training Center and operated in Kashmir. The guy is an avid skier and claims he learned how to ski when he was operating in India; it's how they got around from FOB to FOB up there.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0211.htm?terms=usmc+0211

Do a little homework next time before you Tom Clancy readers start telling those of us who've been there what's right and what's wrong.

Jesus, I don't even know why the fvck I post on this board anymore.