Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do you voluntarily wear a mask in public places

Do you (voluntarily) wear a mask in public places

• Yes

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • No

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
I only wear one when I have to go into the supermarket because it’s impossible to keep 6 feet away from everyone in there.

But I do wash and sanitize my hands nonstop everywhere I go all day long. I also sanitize any common items other people touch, such my debit card before and after I use it, shopping cart handles, anything like that.
This post and something that just took place an hour ago while video conferencing with a colleague in Sweden has made me more cautious with how I will need to wipe down (clean up) after going out.

A little background, she's the global product manager and regions generally report to her on a weekly basis, not someone easily shaken by turmoil etc.

Today its different, she's doing conferencing at home instead, under quarantine, running a high fever and one of her kid is in ICU, he has some mild form of asthma.

She sounded worried, cursing at her husband for being careless and causing harm to the whole family, all the while within earshot of him being at the background (yeah we could see him sitting at the couch).

She ranted on during the conference on how her husband went to the groceries, wore a face mask and even gloves BUT neglected to dispose it when he was back home. He left it on the table where their kids had access.

Kids got it and so did mom, they're all sick from covid.

Husband is positive too but asymptomatic.

A little mistake, something I myself could easily overlooked is now threatening his own family.

If any of you men got someone who has an underlying health issue, best to take this shiet seriously.

DelayedGratification

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The virus within the droplet is 0.01 micron. It will easy go through the material; especially if there is force breathing it in. Could it hurt wearing a mask? No, of course not. But it may not help much either.
I see this as a bit of looking at this from a personal health standpoint vs a Public Health standpoint, which are very different ways of looking at things. And for the record, Rick, despite our occasional disagreement I respect a lot of what you post here.

You're not wrong. Strictly speaking, anything less than an N95 will allow virus particles to pass. But that's not the point of the face covering. Droplets are much bigger, and a face covering will reduce the droplet radius from a person wearing a mask. Will some aerosolized virus particles leak past? Probably. But at least they won't be accompanied by as many droplets, which serves to reduce the effective rate of shedding by someone with a face cover vs someone without. And if we can, as a herd, reduce droplet emission, then it stands to reason that we narrow that infection vector. Again, this is in-the-large thinking, not in-the-person thinking.

You're a PA. I presume in your facilities, especially in flu season, there are (or have been in the past) boxes of disposable masks much like the ones I just bought. Non-N95. To be put on by patients who likely don't have a clue as to the proper fit. Above the box of masks is a sign saying that if you are coughing or sneezing or have a fever, please take a mask and wear it to protect the health of other patients. It's pretty much standard op at most outpatient facilities I've visited.

So tell me, as a PA, do you believe that masks for symptomatic people during an outpatient visit is bad medical policy? If not, why would it be bad policy for enhancing social distancing?

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
...... Stop being asinine
Responses like the above ... are the result of mods closing (and discouraging) postings that have any sort of social/political nature.

I'm not here to 'police' anyone, but as adults of sound mind, I hope that we can self-monitor.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, I quite enjoy wearing a face covering. I use a balaclava from my cycling days. It's state law now in Jersey to wear face coverings in public.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I grow more skeptical daily. I work in hospitals. They are empty
How do you know that somebody didn't incorrectly wire one of those magnetic resonance machines and accidentally create a portal or something?

You could be stuck in 2030 after everybody's already dead.

Do you actually have conversations with nurses, like back and forth conversations?

Or is it you just talking and imagining they are paying attention to you, like in sixth sense?

Lynx nkaf

Banned
Reaction score
I had one with me in my pocket all times but today I wore it.
Seems weird to me I haven't caught this virus yet so I bet I'm one of the shedding asymptomatics.
I don't want someone else sick because of me unknowingly making them so.
At work I wear a silicone halfmask with vapour and P100 particulate filters on the respirator.
I feel I should be wearing THAT in a store(I've been fit-tested and wear it snug-tight)
That would be obstrusive in public though....I wonder if I can find a stock pic

Last edited:

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just curious...
and if curious of my answer, it's "no."
I have 13 respirator N95 masks I bought from an Asian vendor. It cost $15 per mask and if any of them are too used up then I throw it away. I also aim to use a different mask each day or week depending on how they are used. They are stored in open ziplock bags to allow the mask to dry after use (virus dies after 3 days to allow mask to be reused). They have to be put on correctly (top strap just over head above ears in a diagonol and bottom stap below neck). Keep straps away from inside of mask. Do not touch inside of mask when taking off or storing. Make sure mask fits snugly so no air goes through the creases. Had my mask checked on database and it is the real deal. Also wear gloves. If I get sick, God forbid, then I would wear surgical masks or cloth masks instead. Respirator n95 protect you and others. Surgical masks and cloth just protect others.

I live with my folks who are seniors so I feel especially justified in this level of protection. If I lived alone or someone who was not immuno deficient or elderly then I would just wear surgical masks in case I was asymptomatic.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I see this as a bit of looking at this from a personal health standpoint vs a Public Health standpoint, which are very different ways of looking at things. And for the record, Rick, despite our occasional disagreement I respect a lot of what you post here.

You're not wrong. Strictly speaking, anything less than an N95 will allow virus particles to pass. But that's not the point of the face covering. Droplets are much bigger, and a face covering will reduce the droplet radius from a person wearing a mask. Will some aerosolized virus particles leak past? Probably. But at least they won't be accompanied by as many droplets, which serves to reduce the effective rate of shedding by someone with a face cover vs someone without. And if we can, as a herd, reduce droplet emission, then it stands to reason that we narrow that infection vector. Again, this is in-the-large thinking, not in-the-person thinking.

You're a PA. I presume in your facilities, especially in flu season, there are (or have been in the past) boxes of disposable masks much like the ones I just bought. Non-N95. To be put on by patients who likely don't have a clue as to the proper fit. Above the box of masks is a sign saying that if you are coughing or sneezing or have a fever, please take a mask and wear it to protect the health of other patients. It's pretty much standard op at most outpatient facilities I've visited.

So tell me, as a PA, do you believe that masks for symptomatic people during an outpatient visit is bad medical policy? If not, why would it be bad policy for enhancing social distancing?
You make a valid point. However, if one is going to protect themselves from COVID-19, a scarf or anything less than N95 just won't work. TBH, you really need a N98 or higher since the virus is so small. Nonetheless, since most Coronavirus's are between 0.02 - 0.01 in size, these masks are basically pointless. Could it catch the droplets, yes, of course. If a person is coughing and sneezing, then a mask would help. However, if they are coughing and sneezing into the mask, then they take it off, the particles become airborne or just move because the mask is thrown around, it's pointless. Also, we use new masks after each hour or so. The public is using the same mask for days, if not weeks. Again, pointless. What Gov. Dummo is forcing NYers to do is going to not help. The social distancing, yes, that helps a bit. People wearing masks, taking them off and putting them back on again after the mask itself touches things is pointless.

In the future, the Federal and State governments should stockpile billions of masks for when this happens again. A fact that I've posted before is now gaining traction and the media is running with it. As we all know, COVID-19 is a Coronavirus sub-type, so is many URI and the common cold. Therefore, this Coronavirus sub-type will be around next winter, and possibly mutate too. One can argue that this is mother nature's way of getting rid of the weak and allowing only the strong to survive. Or, someone can argue that a foreign government f ucked up and made a relatively harmless virus deadly.

Regardless, everyone here should be attempting to get a 3M 6200 (or higher) respirator. It seals well around the mouth and nose as is comfortable. The filters are interchangeable and you can disinfect the inside pretty easily. This may be something we all will need moving forward in life.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You make a valid point. However, if one is going to protect themselves from COVID-19, a scarf or anything less than N95 just won't work. TBH, you really need a N98 or higher since the virus is so small. Nonetheless, since most Coronavirus's are between 0.02 - 0.01 in size, these masks are basically pointless. Could it catch the droplets, yes, of course. If a person is coughing and sneezing, then a mask would help.
The face coverings are to reduce asymptomatic spread. They are not to protect the user from getting it.

However, if they are coughing and sneezing into the mask, then they take it off, the particles become airborne or just move because the mask is thrown around, it's pointless. Also, we use new masks after each hour or so. The public is using the same mask for days, if not weeks. Again, pointless. What Gov. Dummo is forcing NYers to do is going to not help. The social distancing, yes, that helps a bit. People wearing masks, taking them off and putting them back on again after the mask itself touches things is pointless.
Stop posting misinformation. All these measures are mitigation to flatten the curve. NY has flattened the curve. Governor Cuomo's measures have in fact worked, just like they have in Italy, China, and every other country that has mandated social distancing. Social distancing helps "more than a bit." Enough of the lies.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
The face coverings are to prevent asymptomatic spread. They are not to protect the user from getting it.

Stop posting misinformation. All these measures are mitigation to flatten the curve. NY has flattened the curve. Governor Cuomo's measures have in fact worked, just like they have in Italy, China, and every other country that has mandated social distancing. Social distancing helps "more than a bit." Enough of the lies.
I just worked nearly three days straight sleeping on cots at the hospital. I do not have the time for your crap and BS. Please, buzz around somewhere else. Your posts are fiction and for entertainment purposes only.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TBH, you really need a N98 or higher since the virus is so small.
So you are saying a N95 is not really effective?

RickTheToad said:
Nonetheless, since most Coronavirus's are between 0.02 - 0.01 in size, these masks are basically pointless. Could it catch the droplets, yes, of course. If a person is coughing and sneezing, then a mask would help.
So an N95 mask should at least work with asymptomatic people with social distancing in place. So far I've been lucky enough not to cross paths with someone who was actually sick and most stores I frequent interview people if they have any flu symptoms or are showing any signs of illness and will block them from entering the store if they do.

My understanding is that if any mask is not fitted properly, even if its an N98, then it will not work. Also, the more tighter the mask is, the more difficult it will be to breath in it as allot if being filtered out and the more you'll be tempted to orient the mask in a way where it will be easier to breathe through these seal-leaks. I wouldn't go for a jog with an N95 on for example since it's still tight to breath in these masks.

RichTheToad said:
However, if they are coughing and sneezing into the mask, then they take it off, the particles become airborne or just move because the mask is thrown around, it's pointless. Also, we use new masks after each hour or so. The public is using the same mask for days, if not weeks. Again, pointless. What Gov. Dummo is forcing NYers to do is going to not help. The social distancing, yes, that helps a bit. People wearing masks, taking them off and putting them back on again after the mask itself touches things is pointless.
Again, if someone coughs or sneezes into a mask I'm wearing then its gone. I only am holding them on for asymptomatic scenarios and am assuming the virus will die off on its on after a few days if the mask is properly ventilated. These masks are too expensive to just dispose of them like that.

I would avoid a symptomatic person anyway if that can be helped since there is always an element of doubt no matter what precaution you take (i.e. was the mask fitted on properly, if I take the mask off in the car while my folks are in the car could everyone in the car catch the virus, etc....). A cough or sneeze is a big no-no. It's like dump everything, mask and gloves in a garbage right away once you leave the place.

RichTheToad said:
In the future, the Federal and State governments should stockpile billions of masks for when this happens again. A fact that I've posted before is now gaining traction and the media is running with it. As we all know, COVID-19 is a Coronavirus sub-type, so is many URI and the common cold. Therefore, this Coronavirus sub-type will be around next winter, and possibly mutate too. One can argue that this is mother nature's way of getting rid of the weak and allowing only the strong to survive. Or, someone can argue that a foreign government f ucked up and made a relatively harmless virus deadly.
Or mother natures way of stopping climate change.

RichTheToad said:
Regardless, everyone here should be attempting to get a 3M 6200 (or higher) respirator. It seals well around the mouth and nose as is comfortable. The filters are interchangeable and you can disinfect the inside pretty easily. This may be something we all will need moving forward in life.
If it's available. I feel I had to over-pay to get my N95 respirator masks and sort of feels like buying them from the black market because they are all sold out everywhere else.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just worked nearly three days straight sleeping on cots at the hospital. I do not have the time for your crap and BS. Please, buzz around somewhere else. Your posts are fiction and for entertainment purposes only.
If that's even true, it's egregious for you to spread misinformation. Fiction is saying:

What Gov. Dummo is forcing NYers to do is going to not help. The social distancing, yes, that helps a bit.
Knock it off.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
So you are saying a N95 is not really effective?

So an N95 mask should at least work with asymptomatic people with social distancing in place. So far I've been lucky enough not to cross paths with someone who was actually sick and most stores I frequent interview people if they have any flu symptoms or are showing any signs of illness and will block them from entering the store if they do.

My understanding is that if any mask is not fitted properly, even if its an N98, then it will not work. Also, the more tighter the mask is, the more difficult it will be to breath in it as allot if being filtered out and the more you'll be tempted to orient the mask in a way where it will be easier to breathe through these seal-leaks. I wouldn't go for a jog with an N95 on for example since it's still tight to breath in these masks.

Again, if someone coughs or sneezes into a mask I'm wearing then its gone. I only am holding them on for asymptomatic scenarios and am assuming the virus will die off on its on after a few days if the mask is properly ventilated. These masks are too expensive to just dispose of them like that.

I would avoid a symptomatic person anyway if that can be helped since there is always an element of doubt no matter what precaution you take (i.e. was the mask fitted on properly, if I take the mask off in the car while my folks are in the car could everyone in the car catch the virus, etc....). A cough or sneeze is a big no-no. It's like dump everything, mask and gloves in a garbage right away once you leave the place.

Or mother natures way of stopping climate change.

If it's available. I feel I had to over-pay to get my N95 respirator masks and sort of feels like buying them from the black market because they are all sold out everywhere else.
They are effective on any bacterium or virus larger than 0.02. Technically, one would need a N98 or higher mask to be 99.9% protected. I've listed the sources below here for reference. Is it better than nothing, yes, much better. However, a scarf or cosmetic mask; what you see a lot of people donning are not very effective medically speaking.

Yes. If the mask is not completely sealed around the mouth and nose, it is not effective. When we take our masks off, we have indentations in our face. That means, for lack of a better example, here is a seal between the edge of the mask and the face. This is what you want to aim for if a person is concerned about protecting themselves from COVID-19. In my and many non-governmental opinions, wash your hands frequently for at least 40 seconds and never touch your face. That is the best one can do.

If you keep a safe distance running or jogging, you should be fine; especially if you go off hours. But, keep a mask with you anyway, as I have a feeling most leaders will be following Gov. Cuomo's lead. Again, if you can get ahold of a 3M 6200 mask, cartridge, holder and filters (check eBay), you'll be pretty good. Breathing through them takes some learning, but is certainly doable.

If you have a UV sterilizer, that can, in theory, sterilize the disposable mask. The trick is to have the UV light on the mask for 10 minutes or more.

Here's what people need.

I picked up a few in March for me, my GF and both families.

Cheaper option, not 3M, but seems to be similar with the N95 filer.

Last edited: