Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do you think "The End of Dating" has caused the cinema industry to crash?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was reading this, and it got me thinking:
my opinion: The era of dating is OVER, and with it the standard date-night movie. The Beta game of "keep taking her to the movies until the panties come off" no longer works, as the Alpha is offering the gals to hook up, and they would rather hook up with an Alpha than "date" a Beta.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Movie theaters were struggling during the entire decade of the 2010s leading up to COVID. COVID might have accelerated some trends that hurt movie theaters but they were in bad shape prior to COVID.

I think streaming services and better TV set technology were bigger factors in the decline of movie theaters than any dating-related causes. Even in the 1980s/1990s, movie theater dates were not good dates. In a simpler world, going to dinner and the movies wasn't the best date a man could plan. In movie theater dates, you're silent, which doesn't help foster a 1st or 2nd date connection. Streaming services don't change that problem. Dinner dates have been ineffective in the online dating website/swipe app era + the smartphone era. That's the 2000s-present. I doubt dinner dates were all that good even when people primarily met offline and either relied on landline phones or had basic cell phones (early 2000s when I first started dating).

TV set technology is meaningful. The big movie theater screen experience was better when compared to less advanced televisions. Television set technology has gotten quite good since flat screen TVs came around in the 2000s. The gap between movie theater screen technology and a home TV set isn't a great motivator now to go to movies, especially if the movie theater opened 20+ years ago.

Watching movies with other people around wasn't a great experience in the 1990s and I think it's gotten worse now.

There are not a lot of good reasons to go to a movie theater. There haven't been many good reasons since at least the 2000s.

lost_blackbird

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not to mention the ludicrous prices. I took my sister and her two kids to see Avatar 2
while I was visiting at Christmas. £50 on the tickets, then they rape you on the concessions
stand while you're still bent over. £7 for a beer (two each for me and sister) so another £28,
popcorn for the kids to share was £5, two fruity squash drinks for the nephew@£4 each, a giant
cup of diet pepsi for the niece was another £5, then two share size bags of chocolate sweets
were another £8. They even wanted money for the 3D specs but I made a fuss and was given
them for free in the end. Then of course there was £30 on Mcdonalds for the 4 of us before
we went, £8 to park the car. £142 spent to have a treat day out for the kids.

LTG71

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The Hollywood agenda is alienating the audience. They‘re pushing all thIs man-hating woke non-sense and it doesn’t appeal to audiences. She-Hulk:Karen at Law… really? Nobody wants to watch this garbage. Strong masculine characters are toxic so they try to dumb down the characters to appease the feminatzis. Yes, COVID fvcked things up for a bit but still, they’re not writing appealing material. If there was something worth watching, then it would be a viable outlet to take a date to. Now you also have all the streaming companies which add more pressure. Why go to the theater when you can stay home and Netflix and chill? The prices also suck. Usually end up paying ~$80 with me and my wife getting a drink and some food. Renting at home would be under $10. That industry is slowly dying and it is a shame because there is nothing like watching a big blockbuster on the big screen.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Truth be told, I did go out with a couple of girls (ie not technically dated) in 2002, and dated a couple of girls in 2006 where I brought them to the cinema and again in 2012 and 2015. I haven't taken a girl out to the cinema after 2015 to my recollection. Since 2017 I got more into the modern age (ie bought a modern TV, brought a wider computer screen and a tablet). The cinema was a good excuse to interact with girls in the past (ie you could talk about movies to women or get movie suggestions from them), you could flirt with women who work in the cinema and talk about movie selections there, etc.... So I think it was more helpful rather than hurtful / neuteral in terms of encouraging interaction with the opposite sex/dating. You could also try to cold approach women in the cinema itself and ask what they just looked at, etc... or what did they think about the movie that was watched.

That being said and fast forward to today: Yeah, it's not just the TV, but you can get a movie theater experience with a VR headset where you have a gigantic virtual screen infront of you and actually trick your mind that you are in a cinema. There are also digital projectors that can project large images on a wall, and of course, TV technology.

In my experience, the TV I've had was 58 inches, but it was not large enough when watching wide-screen movies as I didn't feel the screen was large enough to begin with for a FLAT-TV, and liked movies that were either cropped for HDTV, or were filmed with a less wider aspect ratio (ie 1.85:1) which would be passable. I didn't feel satisified with the size of the TV despite I liked the image. To solve this I got a projector which put an image so large that you didn't care about black boxes on wide-screen movies as the image is very large to begin with and is at vertical image parity with the 58 inch TV. That being said, even with the projector, it really satisifed me, but it was still techncially a second place still with the movie theater. When I got a VR headset, that made an experience better than the movie theater. The VR-Headset (Meta Quest 2) was so immersive, when I reflected on the movie, I remember allot of details of the movie that was seen, not just the overall experience of the movie and felt like I was in the movie itself. Sort of like an IMAX movie.

This coupled with streaming selections have just killed interest in movie theaters with me. They are coming with more advanced VR headsets (ie Meta Quest 3) and some of the VR-apps have the capability of hosting rooms so other VR users can watch the same movie in the same theater. (ie they also have VR dating where you can meet women in VR and if you are compatible enough, meet offline and take things from there, etc....).

Last edited:

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
There´s one Movie Theater I like in my city but mostly because they have Amazing food. It comes from different restaurants that are very close to the Movie Theater.

Menú – Epic Cinemas

Stuffnu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
“Video killed the radio star”. This is just another evolution.
Yes, definitely the expense is accelerating it, along with easy accessibility with streaming sites and pirated android devices.

Kotaix

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nothing to do with dating and all to do with the movie industry being creatively bankrupt, then turning on the audience and calling them ista-phobes when they get called out of for making hot garbage. And it all started with Ghostbusters 2016.

Avatar 2 proves that when you make movies that aren't woke trash, you can still set box office records

Hollywood needs to stop their sanctimonious preaching and eat a slice of humble pie. And fat fvcking chance that's going to happen until one of the major studios actually goes bankrupt and vanishes forever.

DonJuanjr

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
And fat fvcking chance that's going to happen until one of the major studios actually goes bankrupt and vanishes forever.
Which probably won't happen either... Lots of hundred millionaire/billionaires that care about their power, and realize propaganda is a hell of a drug.