Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Do you believe in Karma?

Effington

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you believe in karma?

I'm a whole-hearted yes. I have somewhat of a unique physique such that people who meet me once will remember me. I even have people come up to me randomly all the time that say they remember seeing me at x bar from a year ago or even from school 4 years ago, when I never had talked to them in my life. Thus, they may even have an impression of me without even meeting me.

I think that's a really good thing because I'm very personable. I've met a lot of cool people that way. Every restaurant around home knows me, and are very friendly whenever I come in. However, it's those bad times that really come back to haunt. I ran into an old high school classmate one Saturday night about a year ago and I was tipsy; I saw him again this weekend and he initially seemed to have the impression I was a drunk. After hanging out for a little I changed that impression, but still, it was like karma getting me back for being drunk in public a year ago.

I have run into what I consider an ethical dilemma today, in the work arena. I have a job that is relatively easy for my experience, I have GREAT bosses who think I'm brilliant, I am paid competitively, and in general it's a good place to work. Some hard times have hit, and I just learned there were some layoffs, something that hadn't happened there in awhile. Coincidentally, the same day, a recruiter called and is interested in hooking me up with a new job. [I have a private profile on careerbuilder, apparently, it's a little less private than I thought] He called back late tonight and said he spoke with the manager, and he wants to set up an in-person interview. He mentioned, in pretty direct terms, if I do well on the interview, they won't interview anyone else. The new position is a fairly substantial pay raise and they mentioned they want to fast-track a candidate if they succeed (an opportunity I don't have now). To add to the theme of karma, my boss's dad died two days ago, so I'm kind of helping out with his work. Today, he was very grateful how I ran a meeting for him last week, and pretty much took over one of the major projects that randomly came up, saving him hours of work.

I know there are a ton of variables in a new company and there's also no guarantee that place wouldn't have layoffs. Karma suggests I turn down the interview, but dangling more money and advancement opportunities is hard to resist...

iqqi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know if I believe in Karma. However, I will inflict Karma if you know what I mean, when I get tired of waiting on it as it may never come.

I do believe that your mindframe and aura influences what comes in your life. And your mindframe and aura go hand in hand with the actions you take, and the choices that you make.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All you have to do is be honest. After you have an interview and an offer letter, take that letter to your current boss before you answer it. Beg him to match it because you love him so much, but be firm that you have to leave if he can't. Then it is his fault for you leaving, not you being greedy.

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm sure your boss will understand, but you wont know unless you talk to him about it. Are you really willing to sarcrifce something for yourself just because of your boss? I somewhat believe in karma, but it's a more of a mathamatical view than spiritual. How many people do you know that are good people but seemed to get knocked around in life and they don't know why because they 'deserve better'? I would actually put my parents in this group so that's where my strong beliefs come from. But how many peoples do you know who were eventually shot down from being selfish and kicking down other people in order to raise themselves up?

In my opinion you should really talk to your boss about it, you might be surprised.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe in KarmaSutra because his account is here and I can see it. :p

As for the spiritual version of Karma nope don't believe in it, to me its a load of bunk though I do believe in something close to it that is a more realistic possibility and what I believe is the old principle of what goes around comes around.

Though I'd modify the phrase to be more closer to my actual belief about it by saying I believe what goes around can come around.

Its not an absolute that if you do a lot of good or bad things for a person it will be repaid to you.

It certainly can happen but its almost just as likely not to happen.

Reaction score
Ok I'm a dumb redneck, and I hear about this "Karma" alll the time anymore..

What exactly is it? Is it basicly the old saying "What goes around comes around?"

I'm to lazy to Google this.

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Karma basically means if you do a lot of wrong to someone or a bunch of people it will come back to you later in life and the same is true if you do a lot of good for people. To believe in Karma you have to believe that eventually everyone will get whats coming to them in life. Its the new age pagan version of the biblical "You reap what you sow" parable.

What goes around comes around on the other hand is a more realistic viewpoint that is similar. It is realistic because a person that believes in this knows that not everyone will necessarily and absolutely be paid back for whatever it is they do in life be it wrong or right.

Skel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont believe in any type of superstition

Reaction score
KontrollerX said:
Karma basically means if you do a lot of wrong to someone or a bunch of people it will come back to you later in life and the same is true if you do a lot of good for people. To believe in Karma you have to believe that eventually everyone will get whats coming to them in life. Its the new age pagan version of the biblical "You reap what you sow" parable.

What goes around comes around on the other hand is a more realistic viewpoint that is similar. It is realistic because a person that believes in this knows that not everyone will necessarily and absolutely be paid back for whatever it is they do in life be it wrong or right.
Ahh thanks.. Now I know what that stupid Karma thing on message boards is. Make great post and it comes back to you when people are helped, and give you rep points, and reverse if you make bad post.

Great definition, and now I know what it is.... thanks.

Reaction score
My sister got an abortion when she was 17...... Now her and her husband want a kid, but she is infertile, and they are trying to concieve....

Hmmmmm Karma??

KontrollerX

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nah man.

What happened to your sister was not magically ordained and destined to happen because she got an abortion so because it was not absolutely assured she would be punished for the abortion this is merely a case of what goes around comes around and by it being a case of that it didn't necessarily have to happen ie her becoming infertile.

Though yes people could say her situation was karma if they believe in magical thinking and absolutes.

ThunderMaverick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He's a great contributor to this site. Why wouldn't I believe in Karma?

Karma '08.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I believe the obvious principle that our actions and attitude will alter our life course, essentially the Biblical principle of "as you sow, so shall you reap", but not in some magical mystical force that assures we will do so.

Karma is just a retarded way to explain the observable outworking of our choices impacting the outcome of our lives.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Karma in the mystical/paranormal sense of the word, of the universe essentially remembering all that you have done, the answer is a resounding no. That would be a human projection of instilling one's sense of hope and justice in a cold world, but it has no correspondence with objective reality. If you are nice or rude to someone they may very well be nice or rude to you, but one year later someone else will not be nice or rude to you because what you did to someone else one year prior; that would be nonsense. If, however, you define karma as the accumulated balance of the positive and negative consequences of your actions as pertaining to direct causation, but in no sense is reward or punishment guaranteed, then yes I suppose karma exists but why then use the term except for protective coloration and why even ask.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
EricInTheHouse said:
My sister got an abortion when she was 17...... Now her and her husband want a kid, but she is infertile, and they are trying to concieve....

Hmmmmm Karma??
Exactly.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
ThunderMaverick said:
He's a great contributor to this site. Why wouldn't I believe in Karma?

Karma '08.
I can't rep you anymore as yet but when the time comes Brother . . .

Reaction score
Deep Dish said:
Karma in the mystical/paranormal sense of the word, of the universe essentially remembering all that you have done, the answer is a resounding no. That would be a human projection of instilling one's sense of hope and justice in a cold world, but it has no correspondence with objective reality. If you are nice or rude to someone they may very well be nice or rude to you, but one year later someone else will not be nice or rude to you because what you did to someone else one year prior; that would be nonsense. If, however, you define karma as the accumulated balance of the positive and negative consequences of your actions as pertaining to direct causation, but in no sense is reward or punishment guaranteed, then yes I suppose karma exists but why then use the term except for protective coloration and why even ask.
I will totally close the issue for you.

If you read the last chapter of "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins you have the chapter "Nice Guys finish first". I will not repeat the chapter, but here we see a plausible explanation for "reciprocal altruism". That essentially what "Karma" is about. It is also rooted in the Confucius saying "do as you would be done by".

In my teens I use to think about Karma too, but after reading Dawkins I realised it was just crap, no offence to anybody, but in this cold world where things just are they way they are, to believe in Karma is actually egotistic and vain. It's intricately mixed up with "returning of favours" that many friendships amongst human beings are dependent on, not to mention animals as well (case in point being the vampire bat, a successful individual would regurgitate blood to an unsuccessful one to have the favour returned on a later date).